Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

SunshineSlayer

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
I apologize for cheerleading, but I can't resist...this is the best post on this thread...period. :rock: :rock: :rock:

ok, off my "soapbox" now...or should I say, down with my pom-poms...(runs and hides)

Really? Thanks. :) lol, you know, the posts that I try to make sound really good, are the ones that get ignored and then the ones that I just write down in 2 seconds are the best in the thread...hmmm...I need to change my writing strategy. :)

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
You can be a fan of Sasha, or a fan of Michelle, but we're all fans of one whole thing - skating. I really don't want this to become a nasty debate. I feel sorry for all my Michelle fan friends because I know they were looking forward to watching her. But we'll all like the Olympics, with or without her.

Pro or con statements about Kwan will keep the legend alive. Do you want that?

As for Sasha, she is under no obligation to answer questions by reporters. The viewers, however, have the right to interpret the silence.

This is another one of those belabored threads with no resolution except to keep MK's legend alive or to kill it if possible. No res o lu tion!!

Joe

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Mathman said:
MorganLee, what does BAHAHAHA mean? Is it anything like Nyah, Nayh, Nyah?

Well, you're rubber and I'm...no wait... I mean... You're not the boss of me...No, wait...

MM :)

:rofl: :chorus: :laugh: :clap: :yes: :biggrin:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Did anyone see the interview that Andrea Joyce did with Plushenko? She kept trying to get him to comment on his competitors & he had to repeat himself trying to make her understand that he would answer that type of question After the mens comp. is over. This is one of my gripes about US reporters...they try to Create the news rather than relay the news.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Coming out of lurkdom and my sadness over Michelle to offer my two cents.

It's JMHO, but I think most athletes, particularly before or during a competition/game, would prefer not to dwell on the injury/illness of a competitor. It's sort of like "There but for the grace of God go I". Sasha needs to concentrate on her competition, and she shouldn't be hammered by the media on the issue of Michelle.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Sasha's comment about Michelle's injury/withdrawal humanizing the sport. I mean, she referred to Michelle as an icon. Thanks to purplecat for quoting the actual question and Ogre Mage for quoting Sasha's full answer back on Page 2.

I think both of these young women got it right. Sasha said in the "Gelato" piece that she thought Michelle needs her "alone time". Michelle's penchant for privacy is well known. On her part, Michelle said she didn't want to be a distraction to the other skaters. There will be plenty of time, after the Olys are finished, for Sasha and Michelle to talk to each other about these events, should they so choose. Hopefully, if they do so, it will be out of the glare of the media.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Aw, thanks, Purple Cat.

I'm all right. (I keep telling myself that, LOL.) As for the Olympics, I'm trying to look at it this way. OK, my nag got scratched; now I've got no horse in the race. So I have two alternatives. Either I can pick a second choice to root for (go Silverstein and O'Meara!). Or else I can chill out and enjoy the performances without making an emotional investment in who wins. (It's more fun to have someone to root for -- go Matt Savoie!)

MM :)

I guess this depends on whether you remain unspoiled (i do) but have you had that thing happen to you yet where you're calmly watching the competition and before you knew it a competitor comes on who you've previously not had a huge reaction to and while they're skating you suddenly jump off the sofa and get really invovled intheir program??

Example for me is Kevin VDP - he came on to do his short program and i sat watching calmly not too involved and then he set up his axel i involuntarily jumped off the sofa and started screaming and shouting for him to land it...who knew that i wanted Kevin to do well until that involuntarily happened!!!

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Example for me is Kevin VDP - he came on to do his short program and i sat watching calmly not too involved and then he set up his axel i involuntarily jumped off the sofa and started screaming and shouting for him to land it...who knew that i wanted Kevin to do well until that involuntarily happened!!!

Ant

I did that too!!!! And I scared the crap out of my dogs lol but i've had a soft spot for Kevin for quite some time now :)

curious

Final Flight
merrywidow said:
Did anyone see the interview that Andrea Joyce did with Plushenko? She kept trying to get him to comment on his competitors & he had to repeat himself trying to make her understand that he would answer that type of question After the mens comp. is over. This is one of my gripes about US reporters...they try to Create the news rather than relay the news.

they totally love controversies:biggrin:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I saw one interview the other night wherein Sasha was asked the MK withdrawal question and I was a bit surprised at her casual response - as though she'd been told MK had changed her breakfast menu for the day. I wondered if someone would start a thread on this, checked in today, and whoa!!!!! Muchas paginas!!!!!

Anyway, I think it might have been nice for SC to feign some sympathy re: MK for the casual viewer but really what should be expect. The two skaters are not close. MK and Irina have a relationship of sorts and I have seen backstage shots of them comforting each other after a painful loss. But hey, this is SC's moment. She has a good shot at a medal and an outside shot at the gold. She deserves some attention for herself. Of course, now that MK is out I'm not sure who I will get my hopes up for. Maybe I will for once give myself a break and just enjoy the skating. Hmmm, I wonder whom MK is rooting for.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Kwanford Wife said:
Good question! I'd say she has on her "Got Irina?" sweatshirt as we speak! :laugh:

Yeah KW, I think MK will quietly be in Irina's corner also. And if the situation were reversed, IS would be in MK's. I actually had a little fantasy wherein they would both tie for Gold but I know that couldn't have happened in any event.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Oddly enough I think MK is rooting for Irina as well. I wonder if she'll ever tell us who she wants to win....

registered

On the Ice
yelyoh said:
I saw one interview the other night wherein Sasha was asked the MK withdrawal question and I was a bit surprised at her casual response - as though she'd been told MK had changed her breakfast menu for the day.

Anyway, I think it might have been nice for SC to feign some sympathy re: MK for the casual viewer but really what should be expect. The two skaters are not close. MK and Irina have a relationship of sorts and I have seen backstage shots of them comforting each other after a painful loss. But hey, this is SC's moment. She has a good shot at a medal and an outside shot at the gold. She deserves some attention for herself. Of course, now that MK is out I'm not sure who I will get my hopes up for. Maybe I will for once give myself a break and just enjoy the skating. Hmmm, I wonder whom MK is rooting for.

Or perhaps, for Sasha, being an insider of the skating world, where talks of Michelle's state of fitness generated comments, such as Frank Carroll's, who's been saying all along that Michelle would not take a competetive ice at the Olympics, it looks like nothing indeed have changed "on the menu." I bet that her being turned into some kind of spokes woman for Michelle, and having constantly cover up for Kwan with phony offers of condolences, irks Sasha (and most likely other skaters as well, though they aren't being followed with a camera in their faces, literally, like Cohen is, having to comment about it all the time.)

You should check out Irina's comments to the press after she's the one who've suffered a "painfull loss" in the competition. Slutskaya is an odd choice for setting an example of a great attitude.

registered

On the Ice
FreeKatie said:
Oddly enough I think MK is rooting for Irina as well. I wonder if she'll ever tell us who she wants to win....

Maybe Kwan is rooting for Irina.

I'd bet money that if Sasha would say somewhere that she's rooting for a Russian skater, she'd be bashed as not being supportive towards the US team. Anyone agrees that the double standart would be applied once again?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
registered said:
Maybe Kwan is rooting for Irina.

I'd bet money that if Sasha would say somewhere that she's rooting for a Russian skater, she'd be bashed as not being supportive towards the US team. Anyone agrees that the double standart would be applied once again?

I'm feeling you on this, but not sure if it truly applies... mainly because out of all the ladies, these two are the only ones who appear to be friendly and on the same level ~ in terms of icons of the sport who are still competing. Heck, Irina has basically stated (please don't ask me to find it because I'm not...) that she doesn't feel bad about losing to Kwan because Kwan is her equal & that feeling is probably reciprocal...

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I dont think Kwan will tell us who she wants to win -- its too bad none of those "ace" reporters bothered to ask her during her last press conference (or did they?)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yelyoh said:
Hmmm, I wonder whom MK is rooting for.
That seems very odd to me that you would wonder that. Not that I can influence you in any way but I'm rooting for Cupcake!!

Go Cupcake!!!

Dee

millie

Medalist
FreeKatie said:

OK, from a U.S. citizen your hoping for a Russian sweep at the Olympics. I am so glad that Americans feel that way about another country. That's what the Olympics is all about. As a Canadian I am rooting for the Canadians but I would love to see the American skaters win at least one medal and the Russians one also.:) :)

Dee4707 said:
That seems very odd to me that you would wonder that. Not that I can influence you in any way but I'm rooting for Cupcake!!
I'm rooting for Fumie. Fumie wins the Sara Lee Award: Everybody doesn't like somebody, but nobody doesn't like Fumie. :)