Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

S

SkateFan4Life

Yesterday's news included a rather curious piece of footage showing a press conference in Torino in which, among other things, Sasha Cohen was asked to give her thoughts on the withdrawal of her Olympic teammate, Michelle Kwan, from the women's figure skating competition.

Cohen stared at the reporters with an annoyed expression for a few seconds before she responded. She said (to paraphrase), "I think this just brings a human element to the competition."

Without being critical, I would have thought that Sasha could have said something like, "I'm sorry to hear the news about Michelle's withdrawal, and I wish her the best. I hope she recovers quickly and returns to the ice soon."
Instead, she did not offer any personal wishes for Michelle's health, no expression of sympathy, and no acknowledgement of the fact that Michelle will be missed at the Olympics.

Of course, it's possible that Sasha did make such comments, but they were not aired. However, given her penchant for being totally self-absorbed (almost narcissist), I guess it would be too much for her to show any compassion for anyone else.

Perhaps Cohen was irked that the NBC television cameras did not pan on HER during the opening ceremonies as they did in Salt Lake. The cameras panned on Michelle throughout the ceremony - marching into the stadium, watching the program, but not Sasha. And, of course, Sasha did not have the opportunity to pass her cell phone to the President of Italy.

Perhaps Cohen was irked that, again, Michelle will be the star of the ladies competition - at least as far as her absence is concerned.

Perhaps Cohen was irked with the realization that the press will probably focus on Emily Hughes, 2002 Olympic gold medalist Sarah's younger sister, who will replace Michelle. Unlike Sasha, Emily seems to be open, friendly, cheerful, and articulate.

fscric

On the Ice
I think I read somewhere that Sasha did not attend the Opening Ceremony, that's why the camera did not pick up any shots of her.

S

SkateFan4Life

Maybe that's true, but at the very least, Sasha could have (and should have) said something nice about Michelle. Even if she is secretly rejoicing that Michelle has withdrawn from the competition, the classy thing would have been to have said something kind and compassionate.

millie

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
Yesterday's news included a rather curious piece of footage showing a press conference in Torino in which, among other things, Sasha Cohen was asked to give her thoughts on the withdrawal of her Olympic teammate, Michelle Kwan, from the women's figure skating competition.

Cohen stared at the reporters with an annoyed expression for a few seconds before she responded. She said (to paraphrase), "I think this just brings a human element to the competition."

Without being critical, I would have thought that Sasha could have said something like, "I'm sorry to hear the news about Michelle's withdrawal, and I wish her the best. I hope she recovers quickly and returns to the ice soon."
Instead, she did not offer any personal wishes for Michelle's health, no expression of sympathy, and no acknowledgement of the fact that Michelle will be missed at the Olympics.

Of course, it's possible that Sasha did make such comments, but they were not aired. However, given her penchant for being totally self-absorbed (almost narcissist), I guess it would be too much for her to show any compassion for anyone else.

Perhaps Cohen was irked that the NBC television cameras did not pan on HER during the opening ceremonies as they did in Salt Lake. The cameras panned on Michelle throughout the ceremony - marching into the stadium, watching the program, but not Sasha. And, of course, Sasha did not have the opportunity to pass her cell phone to the President of Italy.

Perhaps Cohen was irked that, again, Michelle will be the star of the ladies competition - at least as far as her absence is concerned.

Perhaps Cohen was irked with the realization that the press will probably focus on Emily Hughes, 2002 Olympic gold medalist Sarah's younger sister, who will replace Michelle. Unlike Sasha, Emily seems to be open, friendly, cheerful, and articulate.

Sasha is -ammed if she do and -ammed if she don't. Sasha wasn't at the openening ceremonies, she was still in the states. That's why the camera wasn't on her. It's a good thing that the cameras and media are not chasing Sasha and Kimmie around, that way they can practice in peace. All the attention is on Michelle and Emily, so that's good.

No matter what Sasha would have , said would have been nit-picked, she didn't say this, she didn't say that. If the shoe was on the other foot, Sasha would have been ostersized by some people. The press conference was supposed to be on Sasha, Sasha made her comment, over and done with. If Sasha started crying and all bent out of shape because of Michelle's withdrawing from the Olympics, people would still say that she was faking it.

Everyone in figure skating is truely upset that Michelle will not be skating. I for one, would have loved to see her skate this year but it didn't happen. But on the other hand you are upset with Sasha and making negative comments, for what,
because she didn't act a certain way or say what you wanted her to say.

Give it a rest. When someone gets on this board and starts saying mean things about Michelle, they are called trolls But it's OK to -hit on Sasha. Sasha is at the Olympics to skate. She didn't cause Michelle's injury and she hasn't done anything mean to anyone else. Please give the girl a break. If you haven't got anything good to say, don't say anything at all.

Good luck to Michelle. I hope that she heals quickly.
Good luck to Sasha and the rest of the skaters.

I just watched this morning's interview with Katie and Sasha. Almost every question that Katie asked Sasha was about Michelle. What is the girl supposed to say only that she is sorry that Michelle is injured and can't skate. I think that the media should use good judgement and some tact. Like Sasha said this is her
time and she is here to skate and enjoy the moment.

That's all she wrote.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SkateFan4Life said:

Why would you write such things about Sasha. I think her comment was perfectly acceptable. I think what you wrote was extremely mean spirited and uncalled for. I don't understand your motive for doing such a mean thing. Geisha and Soogar got all kinds of flack for saying things about Michelle and here you come saying just as mean if not meaner things about Sasha. I cannot believe that you did this. I very seldom comment about what poster write because it is their opinion but this is one time that I've had it. You, my dear, do not know what is going on in Sasha's head or heart.
However, given her penchant for being totally self-absorbed (almost narcissist), I guess it would be too much for her to show any compassion for anyone else.
What a cruel thing to say. I am really miffed by your post.

Dee

Johar

Medalist
I don't understand why people tend to take a jab at everything Sasha says. The girl can't win.

What has she done to make people think she is stuck up?

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Johar said:
I don't understand why people tend to take a jab at everything Sasha says. The girl can't win.

What has she done to make people think she is stuck up?

It's six or seven years of our watching her on TV (or live) and listening to her answers to the media. We are not imagining her attitude. It *is* her attitude. That's just the way that it is and no amount of 'media training charm school' can change her, although she has tried really REALLY hard, lately, to show a 'sweet' personna on the screen.

She's simply an agressive little competitor. Pushy with a capital "P." The antithesis of the sweet-tempered 'girl-next-door' image of previous American ladies skaters. There's a reason why I've heard some people LAUGH OPENLY in arenas when Sasha falls. Sad but true.

p.s. Her ramming into fellow skaters during 2002 Nationals is just the tip of the iceberg. It would takes hours to give you a laundry list of examples.

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Frau Muller said:
It's six or seven years of our watching her on TV (or live) and listening to her answers to the media. We are not imagining her attitude. It *is* her attitude. That's just the way that it is and no amount of 'media training charm school' can change her, although she has tried really REALLY hard, lately, to show a 'sweet' personna on the screen.

She's simply an agressive little competitor. Pushy with a capital "P." The antithesis of the sweet-tempered 'girl-next-door' image of previous American ladies skaters. There's a reason why I've heard some people LAUGH OPENLY in arenas when Sasha falls. Sad but true.

p.s. Her ramming into fellow skaters during 2002 Nationals is just the tip of the iceberg. It would takes hours to give you a laundry list of examples.

Here is Kimmie's thoughts on how to answer the media

QUOTE: "Kimmie said she learned how to talk to the press by watching Sasha Cohen,"Not Michelle Kwan. She was asked OOh, no, Sasha gets all the hard questions and Michelle gets the easy ones. You all love Michelle.

Sasha has become hardened to the media and all the not no nice things they say about her. I don't think she gives a fiddler's stick about what people say about her. She has to be tough inorder to keep going. I hope she wins the OGM that way she can tell the media and reporters where to stick the mike ,where the sun don't shine. The games has begun and I hope Sasha shows them what she is make of, spunk and so what attitude.

TROLLS, scat. There a Michelle's trolls and Sasha trolls. Trolls are Trolls.

Last edited:

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Sasha doesn't have to answer Kwan questions and the reporters should be asking her about her own skating.

flying camel

Medalist
I would be annoyed too if everytime I come to a press conference the reporters are asking about another skater. She did not say anything bad about Michelle. She had a look on her face that said here come all the Michelle questions. I would be a little annoyed myself.

curious

Final Flight
Sasha has every tight to be upset. She is the real contender but she has to answer questions about a skater who is not going to compete so the press can print the story they want,sure lol! How would you feel if you were in her place huh?:biggrin:

Callystarr

Rinkside
Yall are saying all this crap about it being HER press conference etc. But nobody seems to have a problem when Michelle Kwan has a press conference and they talk about another skater that she is competing against..?

Its evident in the past, if you have watched press conferences, over the past 3-4 years Sasha Cohen seems to be annoyed at Michelles name being mentioned...as if she is jealous of Michelles publicity bad or good.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Frau Muller said:

She's simply an agressive little competitor. Pushy with a capital "P." The antithesis of the sweet-tempered 'girl-next-door' image of previous American ladies skaters. .
I don't know what you are watching but I haven't gotten that impression whatsoever. Who cares about having a sweet personna except you.
p.s. Her ramming into fellow skaters during 2002 Nationals is just the tip of the iceberg. It would takes hours to give you a laundry list of examples
I think you should stand by your opinions and give us a list when Sasha has had an "attitude" and has been "pushy" when being interviewed.
There's a reason why I've heard some people LAUGH OPENLY in arenas when Sasha falls. Sad but true.
Why would you even take the time to even post this If people really do this then they are not the type of people I would put a whole lot of stock into. Posting that was just pure mean.

Dee

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I think it is very sad that some Michelle Kwan fans are taking out their disappointment about Michelle's withdrawal on Sasha Cohen. They talk about what would have been "classy" for her to say. What they say about her is anything but classy. It is petty and cruel and vengeful.

Sasha Cohen is our National Champion. She has never done anything to merit these attacks. I have met her, and she is a a lovely person, in my opinion, a very sweet, earnest, loveable human being. I always loved her skating, and I was delighted to find that she is everything I could have hoped for her to be.

Whatever Sasha accomplishes in Torino, I am "for" her. This is not because she is my National Champion, but because she is Sasha, and that is more than enough for me. I hope for the absolute best for her, now, and for the rest of her life. :love:

Last edited:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Michelle's withdrawal

First off, what a shame the news media is dealing with Michelle's withdrawal from the Olympics as if Michelle died. It's likely that Michelle's opportunity for an olympic gold medal is gone but Michelle is still alive and her fans can look forward to enjoying her skating in the future.

As far as the criticisim of Sasha Cohen on this forum,I would expect nothing less from the avid Kwan followers. Personally, I love Michelle's skating and truly believe no one will ever come close to her winning record. Being realistic, however, it was only a matter of time before Michelle would face the end of her eligibile career. We should all be celebrating the fabulous skating of Michelle Kwan. What a wonderful, talented skater and great role model for future skaters.

It's a shame that people are so quick to criticize Sasha's reaction. Sasha is under a great deal of stress just preparing and anticipating the competition as well as the other skaters.

Another thought......why such criticism of Sasha Cohen when Emily Hughes was giddy and acted like she just won the lottery when interviewed about the phone call that would send her to the Olympics. I totally understand Emily's reaction and in no way am trying to criticize her but it's interesting that Emily is not being trashed on this forum for her lack of concern about Michelle.

I'm sure Michelle was very concerned about getting the "bye" to the Olympics considering the seriousness of her groin injury. Michelle took the gamble and lost and that should be the end of it. This Olympics belongs to someone else and it's their turn to be in the spotlight. I think Michelle feels that way too considering her fast exit from Torino.

The fact that Michelle will never have an Olympic gold medal, for me, isn't such a big deal. Michelle Kwan is the most decorated female figureskater ever and will go down in history as such. Perhaps the Olympic gold medal has become too important. It's just one world competition that gets more attention and respect because it's a big media event.

Just trying to put this whole thing in perspective.

Dizzy

flying camel

Medalist
I totally agree with the above. We should stand behind are American Skaters and cheer them on. Believe me nobody else is rooting for them. Most of those foreigners were probably so happy Michelle had to withdraw.

Enero

On the Ice
dizzydi7 said:
Another thought......why such criticism of Sasha Cohen when Emily Hughes was giddy and acted like she just won the lottery when interviewed about the phone call that would send her to the Olympics. I totally understand Emily's reaction and in no way am trying to criticize her but it's interesting that Emily is not being trashed on this forum for her lack of concern about Michelle.

Dizzy

My thoughts exactly! I like Emily, and I'm not trying to trash her, but I was extremely surprised with her reaction to being called. Yes I can understand her being excited, but I don't think I heard one word about how sorry she was that Michelle had to pull out. Yet Sasha is the one being raked over the coals for not worshipping at the altar of Michelle Kwan's graciousness for pulling out.

millie - ITA with everything you've said!

Last edited:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
This may possibly be true. However, given that you found my comments about Josee Chouinard not being able to hold Yamaguchi's sports bra to be "nasty," this statement is quite hypocritical.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
This is the full text of Cohen's quote:

"I think in a way it kind of humanizes the sport," Cohen said. "She is someone that has been an icon that's always been there, and you have always seen her hard edge and she's always competed and done well. And to see that people can be at the very top of the sport and can also have hard times just humanizes it for other athletes. To know that there are good times and there are bad times, and you have to persevere and kind of deal with what life gives you."