Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

Peggy

On the Ice
cutiepatutie said:
Nobody blames Michelle for anything it all falls on Sasha. I have read so many different articles from Sasha and she is always very nice. I just don't see the problem here.

Cutiepatutie, I agree with you.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Peggy said:
ITA,
This would not be talked about if Michelle's comments had been the same as Sasha's. I've never liked Katie because of her underhanded way of creating controversy. I really don't see any problem with Sasha's comment. Sasha's only problem is she is not media savvy and doesn't know how to gush on command.
I was amazed that Emily didn't get torn apart when she said she was excited about hearing Michelle had to withdraw. But then again, she is not Sasha.

Probably the only comment in this entire thread I agree with. ( Out of the non-defensive ones.) I do think Couric was trying to get Cohen to say something "glowing" about Kwan and she kind of tried to dodge that bullet. The same thing that made me like her for not "taking the bait" and falling for this "interview" has other people up in arms about her NOT taking the bait, and therefore call her selfish, etc. IMO, there's just something wrong with this whole picture. Maybe she just should have turned down that interview. But I must say, shame on Katie- trying to make it all about Kwan instead of about HER. If she wanted to interview MK again, she could have.

On a lighter note, this is confirmation that Kwan really is the center of the ladies event here in America. Without Kwan, who is NBC going to turn to to promote? Hughes? Meissner? Or will they try and get the public on Irina's side with the story of her illness (not unlike they did for that Chinese pair)?

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Probably the only comment in this entire thread I agree with. ( Out of the non-defensive ones.) I do think Couric was trying to get Cohen to say something "glowing" about Kwan and she kind of tried to dodge that bullet. The same thing that made me like her for not "taking the bait" and falling for this "interview" has other people up in arms about her NOT taking the bait, and therefore call her selfish, etc. IMO, there's just something wrong with this whole picture. Maybe she just should have turned down that interview. But I must say, shame on Katie- trying to make it all about Kwan instead of about HER. If she wanted to interview MK again, she could have.

On a lighter note, this is confirmation that Kwan really is the center of the ladies event here in America. Without Kwan, who is NBC going to turn to to promote? Hughes? Meissner? Or will they try and get the public on Irina's side with the story of her illness (not unlike they did for that Chinese pair)?

It seems like the media attention is going to Emily now, because she is Sarah's sister and/or also because she is MK's replacement. They are not paying much attention to Sasha and its as if Kimmie isn't even there... the only time I heard her mentioned was on Olympic Ice by Scott Hamilton

swannanoa54

On the Ice
sk8addict said:
Dick Button said that Michelle is 25 years old, That she has not competed for awhile. That she's been trying to learn new moves like spins & footwork for COP & that her body just was not up to the challenge. He is not just reporting for Olympic Ice.

You stated in your post:

Shasa should have said "well she hasn't trained seriously since 2003 & tried to get ready for the olympics in 9 months & her old out of shape body just wouldn't hold up" That's what Dick Button said!

You paraphrased what Dick said adding your own twist to his words. He didn't say "her old out of shape body". That's a whole different twist as opposed to "her body just was not up to the challenge". She IS 25 years old. So what? She hasn't competed in awhile. Her choice. So what? And yes, she probably was trying to learn new things and she ended up injured. sk8addict, if you want to quote someone, at least quote them with their own words and not your interpretation of what they meant. I heard what Dick Button said. He stated the truth, but he would NEVER have said it as harshly as you just did.

sk8rmommy, when I said "I hate to burst you bubble" it wasn't meant as an insult. I do NOT wish harm/misfortune/unkindness on anyone. If I'm up for a promotion, I wish I get it, but I don't wish misfortune (which could be anything) to befall a competitor. I just have never been that way. But I have told people I wish they'd go jump off a cliff and get out of my way. But I said that to their face because I get tired of listening to how wonderful they are.

Oh, but I did wish that Tonya Harding would fall. Does that count?:)

SunshineSlayer

Rinkside
Here is my short 2 cents for this overly long and argued thread: She said and did absolutely nothing wrong to warrant this response from some people.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
SunshineSlayer said:
Here is my short 2 cents for this overly long and argued thread: She said and did absolutely nothing wrong to warrant this response from some people.

I second that, and I am a MK fan :rock:

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Kwan worshipers, you must understand something -IT"S OVER". Sasha has nothing to do with Kwan. Kwan is back home doing what ever. The 2006 Olympics will continue. :clap:

R.D.

Record Breaker
SunshineSlayer said:

I apologize for cheerleading, but I can't resist...this is the best post on this thread...period. :rock: :rock: :rock:

ok, off my "soapbox" now...or should I say, down with my pom-poms...(runs and hides)

Jasper

Final Flight
The person who started this thread is crazy and reading FAR too much into a simple quote by Sasha. She answered the stupid question politely, she didn't have to wish Michelle well anyway, and she showed no signs of supposed jealousy. JESUS!

MorganLee, what does BAHAHAHA mean? Is it anything like Nyah, Nayh, Nyah?

Well, you're rubber and I'm...no wait... I mean... You're not the boss of me...No, wait...

MM :)

kyla2

Final Flight
Sasha

As a Michelle Kwan fan, I don't think Sasha said anything wrong. No, she can't always immediately pick out the perfectly appropriate phrase or sentiment, but what she expressed here was fine. Give the kid a break everyone. The Olympics is about her too and not just Michelle and Irina.

Morganlee, I don't think you have taken your medication lately. I suggest you do so.

millie

Medalist
This is beginning to be to much!!I think that before this skating season is over we are all going to be insane. I had to go to my manicurist today to get 1 inch false nail put over my own because if I figured I will have my fingers eat.

By the way, Saha had a lovely interview with Billy Bush on Access Hollywood last night. Some children in Turin had their wish granted. Their wish was to meet Sasha and it was very touching. Does that make everyone feel better. She's not the witch that everone thinks she is.

millie

Medalist
Morganlee said:
I did too take my medication and I am too the boss of everyone- neener neener.:agree:

Now you know what I am talking about. It doesn't get any worst than this. OH:bow: :bow: why have you deserted us.

registered

On the Ice
kyla2 said:
As a Michelle Kwan fan, I don't think Sasha said anything wrong. No, she can't always immediately pick out the perfectly appropriate phrase or sentiment, but what she expressed here was fine. Give the kid a break everyone. The Olympics is about her too and not just Michelle and Irina.

Morganlee, I don't think you have taken your medication lately. I suggest you do so.

In my opinion, Sasha poignantly made it known to Katie, that she simply doesn't want to answer any more Michelle-related questions. She answere to the first one in the lines of it's shocking, but at least she gave it a try... blah, blah. But Katie couldn't contain herself: "Would you miss her?" (what an idiotic question), "How her abscence will affect you?" (c'mon most of Sasha's competitions in past few years, Kwan was absent), "What would you say, if you'll run into her?" (none of your darn business, and who cares anyway), and to finish it off, an incredulous "So this Olympic experience for you is mainly about your own performance?". This was ridiculous, out of 2 min. awailable for the interview, Katie spend most time discussing MK, IMO an intentional slight to Sasha, since Couric is known to be really close to Michelle. BTW, she introduced Sasha to the owner of that ice cream shop, as Sasha Cohen, ONE OF OUR BEST SKATERS, she didn't even introduced her as a National champion.

registered said:
"So this Olympic experience for you is mainly about your own performance?"
:laugh: Sasha should have said, no, I am going to Torino mainly to see how Suzanna Poikyo does.

purplecat said:
I still don't see how anything Sasha said in either interview could be considered rude or bad manners. But what do I know? That's just my opinion. Of course I consider myself to have great manners which is why I'm giving a virtual hug to Kwan fans everywhere who must be suffering, especially Mathman :) I know what it feels like and I feel your pain.
Aw, thanks, Purple Cat.

I'm all right. (I keep telling myself that, LOL.) As for the Olympics, I'm trying to look at it this way. OK, my nag got scratched; now I've got no horse in the race. So I have two alternatives. Either I can pick a second choice to root for (go Silverstein and O'Meara!). Or else I can chill out and enjoy the performances without making an emotional investment in who wins. (It's more fun to have someone to root for -- go Matt Savoie!)

MM :)

sarahmistral

On the Ice
registered said:
In my opinion, Sasha poignantly made it known to Katie, that she simply doesn't want to answer any more Michelle-related questions. She answere to the first one in the lines of it's shocking, but at least she gave it a try... blah, blah. But Katie couldn't contain herself: "Would you miss her?" (what an idiotic question), "How her abscence will affect you?" (c'mon most of Sasha's competitions in past few years, Kwan was absent), "What would you say, if you'll run into her?" (none of your darn business, and who cares anyway), and to finish it off, an incredulous "So this Olympic experience for you is mainly about your own performance?". This was ridiculous, out of 2 min. awailable for the interview, Katie spend most time discussing MK, IMO an intentional slight to Sasha, since Couric is known to be really close to Michelle. BTW, she introduced Sasha to the owner of that ice cream shop, as Sasha Cohen, ONE OF OUR BEST SKATERS, she didn't even introduced her as a National champion.

Now all those questions to me qualify as baiting, and I can't find any fault with Sasha's response - all the crying foul about her being rude should be directed at Katie instead. Were people aware of all this prodding Sasha about Michelle, Michelle, Michelle before this thread began? I think it's rude to not let Sasha discuss her skating more; call her self-absorbed, but WHO the hell else is going to focus on her own sh!t and hold it down if she doesn't? Arrrgh, how frustrating! And I don't find it tragic that Michelle couldn't make these Olympics; it's sad for all fans of skating and of course for Michelle, but this "compassion" Sasha was supposed to express in response to Katie's baiting might have been warranted had something truly tragic happened to Michelle, i.e. had she or a friend or family member suffered unusual injury or physical harm (God forbid). She went to the Olympics twice, HEALTHY, brought home two medals, and fell short of the top spot. She couldn't be healthy for a third try; it is not a tragedy; SUCH IS THE WAY OF SPORT!!! There are millions of other nightmarish scenarios for skaters: an E-man Sandhu who just can't keep it together on the big stages despite his abundance of talent, a Kurt Browning who never won the Olympics, a Naomi Nari Nam whose injuries ended her singles skating career...the list goes on and on. Michelle's is not the most heartbreaking of experiences given the body of work she's created as a skater and how decorated she is; she's achieved more than most could in their wildest dreams! Stop the pity party already!! NO CONDOLENCES were in order from Sasha; she responded politely to that disingenuous, biased reporter's questions. "Would you miss her?" Come ON; she's not family or anything! It's a highly competitive sport, and EVERY skater is out for him/herself!! It's not like they spend those cold hours at the rink every day together, cheering competitors on! I hate myself for dragging out this interminable thread, but I had to respond to registered's post of these ridiculous questions.:rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

Sarah M.