Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

Custom Title

Michelle's withdrawal

First off, what a shame the news media is dealing with Michelle's withdrawal from the Olympics as if Michelle died. It's likely that Michelle's opportunity for an olympic gold medal is gone but Michelle is still alive and her fans can look forward to enjoying her skating in the future.

As far as the criticisim of Sasha Cohen on this forum,I would expect nothing less from the avid Kwan followers. Personally, I love Michelle's skating and truly believe no one will ever come close to her winning record. Being realistic, however, it was only a matter of time before Michelle would face the end of her eligibile career. We should all be celebrating the fabulous skating of Michelle Kwan. What a wonderful, talented skater and great role model for future skaters.

It's a shame that people are so quick to criticize Sasha's reaction. Sasha is under a great deal of stress just preparing and anticipating the competition as well as the other skaters.

Another thought......why such criticism of Sasha Cohen when Emily Hughes was giddy and acted like she just won the lottery when interviewed about the phone call that would send her to the Olympics. I totally understand Emily's reaction and in no way am trying to criticize her but it's interesting that Emily is not being trashed on this forum for her lack of concern about Michelle.

I'm sure Michelle was very concerned about getting the "bye" to the Olympics considering the seriousness of her groin injury. Michelle took the gamble and lost and that should be the end of it. This Olympics belongs to someone else and it's their turn to be in the spotlight. I think Michelle feels that way too considering her fast exit from Torino.

The fact that Michelle will never have an Olympic gold medal, for me, isn't such a big deal. Michelle Kwan is the most decorated female figureskater ever and will go down in history as such. Perhaps the Olympic gold medal has become too important. It's just one world competition that gets more attention and respect because it's a big media event.

Just trying to put this whole thing in perspective.

Dizzy

Custom Title
    I totally agree with the above. We should stand behind are American Skaters and cheer them on. Believe me nobody else is rooting for them. Most of those foreigners were probably so happy Michelle had to withdraw.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzydi7
    Another thought......why such criticism of Sasha Cohen when Emily Hughes was giddy and acted like she just won the lottery when interviewed about the phone call that would send her to the Olympics. I totally understand Emily's reaction and in no way am trying to criticize her but it's interesting that Emily is not being trashed on this forum for her lack of concern about Michelle.

Dizzy
    My thoughts exactly! I like Emily, and I'm not trying to trash her, but I was extremely surprised with her reaction to being called. Yes I can understand her being excited, but I don't think I heard one word about how sorry she was that Michelle had to pull out. Yet Sasha is the one being raked over the coals for not worshipping at the altar of Michelle Kwan's graciousness for pulling out.

millie - ITA with everything you've said!
    Last edited by Enero; 02-13-2006 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    Of course, it's possible that Sasha did make such comments, but they were not aired. However, given her penchant for being totally self-absorbed (almost narcissist), I guess it would be too much for her to show any compassion for anyone else.
    This may possibly be true. However, given that you found my comments about Josee Chouinard not being able to hold Yamaguchi's sports bra to be "nasty," this statement is quite hypocritical.

This is the full text of Cohen's quote:

"I think in a way it kind of humanizes the sport," Cohen said. "She is someone that has been an icon that's always been there, and you have always seen her hard edge and she's always competed and done well. And to see that people can be at the very top of the sport and can also have hard times just humanizes it for other athletes. To know that there are good times and there are bad times, and you have to persevere and kind of deal with what life gives you."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel
    I think it is very sad that some Michelle Kwan fans are taking out their disappointment about Michelle's withdrawal on Sasha Cohen. They talk about what would have been "classy" for her to say. What they say about her is anything but classy. It is petty and cruel and vengeful.

Sasha Cohen is our National Champion. She has never done anything to merit these attacks. I have met her, and she is a a lovely person, in my opinion, a very sweet, earnest, loveable human being. I always loved her skating, and I was delighted to find that she is everything I could have hoped for her to be.

Whatever Sasha accomplishes in Torino, I am "for" her. This is not because she is my National Champion, but because she is Sasha, and that is more than enough for me. I hope for the absolute best for her, now, and for the rest of her life.
    It IS sad- they are just desparate and want to lash out- typical. It has always been so..

Did you know the question Sasha was asked was "How does the withdrawal of Michelle Kwan affect your mental and emotional preparation?" I don't see anything wrong with her answer.

As far as people saying she should have wished Michelle well - sure that would be nice...she still has plenty of time to say something about it (I'm sure she'll be asked ad nauseum about it), but this was a press conference about Sasha and she answered the questions asked. In Michelle's press conference she talked about herself since that's what she was supposed to do...yes, she talked about Emily, but I didn't hear her say I wish Sasha and Kimmie well which isn't a criticism about her because I don't think she needed to nor did I expect her to.

The way some "fans" pick apart and analyze every word that comes out of Sasha as well as every skater's mouth is annoying. People will see what they want to see. Some seem to be just waiting to bash anything they say. And if the skater happens to say all the right things than it's all PR and not the truth in these same "fans" eyes. Skaters just can't win! I think Michelle has handled herself with class yet they'll always be "haters" who will pick apart her words too. I happen to think Sasha has been handling herself with class too, but that's just my opinion.

On the Ice
    Sasha's interview with Katie Couric this morning left a bad taste in my mouth about her........she had several opportunities to say something nice/pleasant about Michelle withdrawing, etc.....but never did. I'm sure if she had just said something very "politically correct"/nice/pleasant.....it would have been dropped, kwim??

I just thought it was odd.........bordering on un-sportsmanlike. Even Emily Hughes said something like how she respected Michelle both on and off the ice. She didn't rave about Michelle.......something nice, short and sweet......and nobody is claiming that Emily is the bad guy.

LOL.......did any of my thoughts make sense??

Shoe Diva
    Thank you Ogre for giving her comment in its correct light...

Look, I'm a true blue uber Kwaniac and took offense at a lot of comments made regarding Kwan's withdrawl over the weekend... but I think its silly to bash Sasha or Emily for not falling out in dispare of Kwan's withdrawl... these two are on the biggest stage and in the hunt for that elusive perfect Olympic moment. Let them focus on their moment without making everything about Kwan... Michelle Kwan will continue to be a powerhouse in US skating as well as the biggest story of these games and go down in history as the best who ever did it...

But everything shouldn't be about Kwan... Let Sasha & Emily enjoy their moment in the spotlight. Kwan withdrew, she didn't die. Life isn't fair and Kwan knows that ~ its too bad that we skating fans sometimes forget it...

I'm heartbroken for Kwan and for me, February 11th will always be "Black Saturday" but its time for the focus to turn to the other skaters & let them do their thing... Kwan will be a star until the end of time. Let Sasha & Emily enjoy their time now.

(it still sucks though... )

Down With It
    You know what...I didn't even want to bother to defend her in this thread because I knew the legion of fans in question would just turn around and throw the label of "Sasha fan" on everybody. So, I'm just going to say it's quite sad the way things are going. I mean, come on. What she said was perfectly fine. I just played back the interview on my PVR and didn't take issue with anything she said. What is she supposed to do, break down into tears? Get over it, guys.

First and last post in this thread.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen
    No, they didn't. Again why does Sasha have to say anything about Michelle??? I don't get it.

Dee

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Forget Sasha...I wanna hear what Johnny has to say about her withdrawal!

Quote Originally Posted by thisthingcalledlove
    Forget Sasha...I wanna hear what Johnny has to say about her withdrawal!
    "I wish she was able to compete. It was her last hope for a gold medal," Weir said. "But when your body is not working properly, you can't skate. There is no way you can possibly feel better if your body is not right."
    Article with Johnny and Sasha quotes on MK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen
    Sasha's interview with Katie Couric this morning left a bad taste in my mouth about her........she had several opportunities to say something nice/pleasant about Michelle withdrawing, etc.....but never did. I'm sure if she had just said something very "politically correct"/nice/pleasant.....it would have been dropped, kwim??

I just thought it was odd.........bordering on un-sportsmanlike. Even Emily Hughes said something like how she respected Michelle both on and off the ice. She didn't rave about Michelle.......something nice, short and sweet......and nobody is claiming that Emily is the bad guy.

The only bad taste going on there was Katie's insistance that Sasha give a Kwan comment in the first place. I'm glad I'm not the only one who see's this. Her PR person should have just told Katie that she wouldn't be commenting on Kwan. She is reigning Nats champion there to compete. End of story.

Custom Title
    Like others here, I can't believe the tone of the initial post. What was Cohen supposed to do? Start wailing and rending her garments? I thought what she said — particularly the full-text version someone was kind enough to post, was a perfectly acceptable and gracious reply.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast