Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Dodhiyel said:
I think it is very sad that some Michelle Kwan fans are taking out their disappointment about Michelle's withdrawal on Sasha Cohen. They talk about what would have been "classy" for her to say. What they say about her is anything but classy. It is petty and cruel and vengeful.

Sasha Cohen is our National Champion. She has never done anything to merit these attacks. I have met her, and she is a a lovely person, in my opinion, a very sweet, earnest, loveable human being. I always loved her skating, and I was delighted to find that she is everything I could have hoped for her to be.

Whatever Sasha accomplishes in Torino, I am "for" her. This is not because she is my National Champion, but because she is Sasha, and that is more than enough for me. I hope for the absolute best for her, now, and for the rest of her life. :love:
It IS sad- they are just desparate and want to lash out- typical. It has always been so..

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Did you know the question Sasha was asked was "How does the withdrawal of Michelle Kwan affect your mental and emotional preparation?" I don't see anything wrong with her answer.

As far as people saying she should have wished Michelle well - sure that would be nice...she still has plenty of time to say something about it (I'm sure she'll be asked ad nauseum about it), but this was a press conference about Sasha and she answered the questions asked. In Michelle's press conference she talked about herself since that's what she was supposed to do...yes, she talked about Emily, but I didn't hear her say I wish Sasha and Kimmie well which isn't a criticism about her because I don't think she needed to nor did I expect her to.

The way some "fans" pick apart and analyze every word that comes out of Sasha as well as every skater's mouth is annoying. People will see what they want to see. Some seem to be just waiting to bash anything they say. And if the skater happens to say all the right things than it's all PR and not the truth in these same "fans" eyes. Skaters just can't win! I think Michelle has handled herself with class yet they'll always be "haters" who will pick apart her words too. I happen to think Sasha has been handling herself with class too, but that's just my opinion.

Kathleen

Rinkside
Sasha's interview with Katie Couric this morning left a bad taste in my mouth about her........she had several opportunities to say something nice/pleasant about Michelle withdrawing, etc.....but never did. I'm sure if she had just said something very "politically correct"/nice/pleasant.....it would have been dropped, kwim??

I just thought it was odd.........bordering on un-sportsmanlike. Even Emily Hughes said something like how she respected Michelle both on and off the ice. She didn't rave about Michelle.......something nice, short and sweet......and nobody is claiming that Emily is the bad guy.

LOL.......did any of my thoughts make sense?? :)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Thank you Ogre for giving her comment in its correct light...

Look, I'm a true blue uber Kwaniac and took offense at a lot of comments made regarding Kwan's withdrawl over the weekend... but I think its silly to bash Sasha or Emily for not falling out in dispare of Kwan's withdrawl... these two are on the biggest stage and in the hunt for that elusive perfect Olympic moment. Let them focus on their moment without making everything about Kwan... Michelle Kwan will continue to be a powerhouse in US skating as well as the biggest story of these games and go down in history as the best who ever did it...

But everything shouldn't be about Kwan... Let Sasha & Emily enjoy their moment in the spotlight. Kwan withdrew, she didn't die. Life isn't fair and Kwan knows that ~ its too bad that we skating fans sometimes forget it...

I'm heartbroken for Kwan and for me, February 11th will always be "Black Saturday" but its time for the focus to turn to the other skaters & let them do their thing... Kwan will be a star until the end of time. Let Sasha & Emily enjoy their time now.

(it still sucks though...:frown: :cry: )

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know what...I didn't even want to bother to defend her in this thread because I knew the legion of fans in question would just turn around and throw the label of "Sasha fan" on everybody. So, I'm just going to say it's quite sad the way things are going. I mean, come on. What she said was perfectly fine. I just played back the interview on my PVR and didn't take issue with anything she said. What is she supposed to do, break down into tears? Get over it, guys.

First and last post in this thread.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kathleen said:
No, they didn't. Again why does Sasha have to say anything about Michelle??? I don't get it.

Dee

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Kathleen said:
Sasha's interview with Katie Couric this morning left a bad taste in my mouth about her........she had several opportunities to say something nice/pleasant about Michelle withdrawing, etc.....but never did. I'm sure if she had just said something very "politically correct"/nice/pleasant.....it would have been dropped, kwim??

I just thought it was odd.........bordering on un-sportsmanlike. Even Emily Hughes said something like how she respected Michelle both on and off the ice. She didn't rave about Michelle.......something nice, short and sweet......and nobody is claiming that Emily is the bad guy.

The only bad taste going on there was Katie's insistance that Sasha give a Kwan comment in the first place. I'm glad I'm not the only one who see's this. Her PR person should have just told Katie that she wouldn't be commenting on Kwan. She is reigning Nats champion there to compete. End of story.

rain

Record Breaker
Like others here, I can't believe the tone of the initial post. What was Cohen supposed to do? Start wailing and rending her garments? I thought what she said — particularly the full-text version someone was kind enough to post, was a perfectly acceptable and gracious reply.

Kathleen

Rinkside
Wow........touchy, touchy!! LOL

I'll I'm saying is that Cohen's PR person should have told her to say something nice and that would be the end of it. Like it or not, Michelle's withdrawing is a huge story. The fact that Katie Couric kept asking questions just goes to show you that the media is looking for comments, etc...from the athletes......particularly her competitors. You don't think they'll be asking Irina the same stuff??? Of course they will. The difference is that Irina will be classy and say something along the lines of how she is disappointed that Michelle won't be competing and wishes her a speedy recovery, etc.

I'm not bashing Sasha........just saying she could have handled things a lot better, and then topics like this one wouldn't even exist.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kathleen said:
I'm not bashing Sasha........just saying she could have handled things a lot better, and then topics like this one wouldn't even exist.
You're still not making any sense.

Dee

soogar

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Maybe that's true, but at the very least, Sasha could have (and should have) said something nice about Michelle. Even if she is secretly rejoicing that Michelle has withdrawn from the competition, the classy thing would have been to have said something kind and compassionate.

Sasha did say something nice about Michelle which is in all the newspapers. Though I don't blame Sasha for being annoyed about having to answer a questions about Michelle. Sasha is the favorite for gold and is the star of the American team, not some has-been who couldn't skate in Nationals. Plus Sasha always has to answer questions about Michelle for the past 4 years. I bet now that Michelle is out of the picture, Sasha is going to seize the moment and win Olympic gold.

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Kathleen said:
Wow........touchy, touchy!! LOL

I'll I'm saying is that Cohen's PR person should have told her to say something nice and that would be the end of it. Like it or not, Michelle's withdrawing is a huge story. The fact that Katie Couric kept asking questions just goes to show you that the media is looking for comments, etc...from the athletes......particularly her competitors. You don't think they'll be asking Irina the same stuff??? Of course they will. The difference is that Irina will be classy and say something along the lines of how she is disappointed that Michelle won't be competing and wishes her a speedy recovery, etc.

The only way to put the media in it's place is to restrict what they can ask in the first place. It's done all the time and should have been done in this instance. If Irena wants to comment, that's her business. Sasha clearly didn't want to comment and it was her PR person's job to see that she didn't have to.

sk8m8

Final Flight
A gentle reminder that I just stated to another poster. ..

You are more than welcome to post almost anything about any skater if it is stated IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, JUST MY THOUGHTS, I FEEL, I THINK, IT IS MY IMPRESSION.

These mark thoughts and feelings as your own.

When you state things as fact ______ is fat, skinny, graceless, too this, too that....or she/he IS a diva, hard to get along with arrogant, ect...

These are judgements and they are usually based on only "knowing" the person through the TV or seeing them perform.

When I read statements about skaters such as the one that started the first couple of paragraphs of the origional thread I THOUGHT, "Wow, perhaps some of our posters ought to go in journalism. IN MY OPINION they are ready for Prime Time News since IT SEEMS TO ME that they aren't really interested in the whole truth either."

This whole thing actually cracks me up...it was a short week ago that Kelly Clarkston was being accused of snubbing American Idol because she didn't acknowledge them on the Grammy's. Shame on her for not thinking she was going to win in her category and not having all her notes prepared; We all KNOW that she just put on that nervous "oh my god, what I'm I doing up here" act to dig at Simon:rofl:

Morganlee said:
The only way to put the media in it's place is to restrict what they can ask in the first place. It's done all the time and should have been done in this instance. If Irena wants to comment, that's her business. Sasha clearly didn't want to comment and it was her PR person's job to see that she didn't have to.
Still, I doubt if "Sasha Cohen's PR person" has the clout to tell Katie Couric what she can ask and what she can't.

soogar

Record Breaker
Enero said:
My thoughts exactly! I like Emily, and I'm not trying to trash her, but I was extremely surprised with her reaction to being called. Yes I can understand her being excited, but I don't think I heard one word about how sorry she was that Michelle had to pull out. Yet Sasha is the one being raked over the coals for not worshipping at the altar of Michelle Kwan's graciousness for pulling out.

millie - ITA with everything you've said!

Well why should Emily be sorry that Michelle dropped out? Michelle wasn't sorry when she took Emily's place. Why does everyone feel that it's so important to show fake graciousness?

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Cohen stared at the reporters with an annoyed expression for a few seconds ...
Without being critical
...given her penchant for being totally self-absorbed (almost narcissist)...
...too much for her to show any compassion ...
Perhaps...
Perhaps...
Perhaps Cohen was irked ...
Unlike Sasha, Emily seems to be open, friendly, cheerful, and articulate.
Whew! Have a mental margarita, girl!

[above bold emphasis added]

soogar said:
Well why should Emily be sorry that Michelle dropped out? Michelle wasn't sorry when she took Emily's place. Why does everyone feel that it's so important to show fake graciousness?
Fake graciousness is what makes the world go round. If everyone showed more fake graciousness, this vale of tears would be a better place to live in.

I will start by resolving to show more fake graciousness to all of my friends and fellow posters on Golden Skate.

MM

PS. How am I doing so far?