Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

S

SkateFan4Life

millie said:
When SkateFan4Life started this thread, it started out being mean and troll like. How many athletes have been injured since this Olympics started. I have watched most of the athletes competing and the ones that were injured. Not once did I see another athlete stop and say Oh, I'm sorry so-and-so got injured or the media with their mike's stuck in another athletes face asking them how they feel about it. Does that make them not good sportsman or women. Are they mean and bad and uncaring? Give it a rest!!!Michelle is not the first athlete that has gotten injured and she won't be the last. OOOH I forgot this is not about Michelle being injured(God Bless Her) its about how a certain athlete responded to a question about being injured. We will have to e-mail Sasha and tell her to send the Kwan Fans a sympathy card, not for Michelle-she's taking care of herself-but for her mourning fans. Grow up for heavens sake!!! This is supposed to be an Olympic sport not American Idol.

Sorry, but there are a number of others who felt that Sasha did not handle herself well and at least say something gracious about Michelle. And perhaps I could recommend that you try growing up a little, too, and allow us on GS to express opinions. We are all entitled to our opinions, like it or not. I have read some truly horrible, nasty posts at GS, on a number of threads, and by comparison, my posts are pretty harmless.

Kathleen

Rinkside
Dee

Sorry, I flat out disagree with you. My post wasn't mean in the least. I gave my opinion. Which, by the way, others here agree with me.

Deal.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
millie said:
When SkateFan4Life started this thread, it started out being mean and troll like. How many athletes have been injured since this Olympics started. I have watched most of the athletes competing and the ones that were injured. Not once did I see another athlete stop and say Oh, I'm sorry so-and-so got injured or the media with their mike's stuck in another athletes face asking them how they feel about it. Does that make them not good sportsman or women. Are they mean and bad and uncaring? Give it a rest!!!Michelle is not the first athlete that has gotten injured and she won't be the last. OOOH I forgot this is not about Michelle being injured(God Bless Her) its about how a certain athlete responded to a question about being injured. We will have to e-mail Sasha and tell her to send the Kwan Fans a sympathy card, not for Michelle-she's taking care of herself-but for her mourning fans. Grow up for heavens sake!!! This is supposed to be an Olympic sport not American Idol.
I don't know about you and DG but I sent "Grandma Luge" a sweet little note expressing my sorrow for her injury and added a P.S. asking if she would donate her now useless (to her) equipment to the DD's. :p

Seriously, my problem with Sasha this morning was Katie directly asked her and she refused. I haven't seen any of the other athletes directly asked like Sasha was. Was it fair of Katie, who knows? I don't think she was trying to make Sasha uncomfortable she really seemed kind of taken back that Sasha didn't respond as she anticipated she would. I think that Sasha missed an opportunity to score "princess points" with the public. And while folks may say she doesn't want to be a princess she would like to be thought of as the next Chueen. ;)

cutiepatutie

Rinkside
SkateFan4Life said:
Sorry, but there are a number of others who felt that Sasha did not handle herself well and at least say something gracious about Michelle. And perhaps I could recommend that you try growing up a little, too, and allow us on GS to express opinions. We are all entitled to our opinions, like it or not. I have read some truly horrible, nasty posts at GS, on a number of threads, and by comparison, my posts are pretty harmless.
"I'm a little bit shocked," said U.S. teammate Sasha Cohen . "I know how tough it is to come back from an injury and get yourself together. It's great she tried, but things don't always work out." I don't know if this is what you are talking about but if it is I don't see anything wrong with what Sasha said, I think it was a very nice response to a rather stupid question..

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
They tour together with COI for months every summer. They are always in a group number together and you know there has to be some interaction at the practices. The bottom line is it was just plain bad manners of Sasha and if it were anyone but Kwan I think more of you would agree.

S

SkateFan4Life

I agree with you, Piel. I wish "Grandma Luge" a speedy recovery - bless her heart!

And I completely agree with you on your comments concerning the Couric interview.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
cutiepatutie said:
"I'm a little bit shocked," said U.S. teammate Sasha Cohen . "I know how tough it is to come back from an injury and get yourself together. It's great she tried, but things don't always work out." I don't know if this is what you are talking about but if it is I don't see anything wrong with what Sasha said, I think it was a very nice responce to a rather stupid question..
The "but things don't always work out" struck me as a cold response to Michelle's obvious great deal of distress.

millie

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:

BUT, you started this thread probably knowing what kind of reaction you would get by posting it. YES, Kwan fans are entitled to express their opinion but when it comes to someone elses opinion it is called trolling. With regards to growing up a little, take your own advise. For so-called grown-up people, some of you take the cake. Some of you act as if she was dead and buried and giving tributes to her. Michelle is a strong woman and she don't need her fans to defend her. That's my opinion.

graceness

Rinkside
registered said:
. . . upstaging a teammate, calling in a press conference, when the other one had her's scheduled -- a show of class, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Don't you think that the USOC is the body that called the press conference and set the time? After all, they wanted to get the word out as quickly as possible, and had to wait until the IOC ruled that Emily could replace Michelle. That word came at either 10:30 or 11am, and so the press conference was called for 11:30.

I truly doubt that Michelle thought, "Hmm, how can I upstage Sasha? Oh, I know, I'll re-injure my groin and set a press conference announcing my withdrawal from the Olympics at 11:30, so as to take the thunder from Sasha. Yeah, that sounds like a plan!!!"

Puh'leez.

The USOC set the press conference, not Michelle.

And if Michelle Kwan wanted to upstage Sasha, she'd be hanging around for the rest of the Olympics or she'd have accepted NBC's offer to cover figure skating. She knew that as long as she was there, she would be a distraction, so she's headed home.

I'm surprised that any Sasha fans would consider the timing of the USOC's press conference as deliberately set so as to overshadow Ms. Cohen. Let's face it, Michelle's withdrawal was BIG NEWS and was treated as such.

Last edited:

cutiepatutie

Rinkside
Piel said:
The "but things don't always work out" struck me as a cold response to Michelle's obvious great deal of distress.
It is a true statement. That is life things don't always work out the way we want so why make a big deal out of it??Just because it was said by Sasha about Michelle? Had she said "oh my! I am so sorry for Michelle" the press and you fans would have had a field day out of that too. So no matter what she says she will be beat to death over it, so I agree with her the less she says the better off she is..

(a) Three weeks ago some Taliban terrorists in Afghanistan charged into a schoolhouse and beheaded the teacher in front of his students. The teacher's "sin" was that he dared to allow girls to learn how to read and write, which the Taliban movement opposes.

(b) Sasha Cohen didn't say quite the words we wished that she would have when asked about Michelle Kwan's withdrawal from the Olympic games.

Are we really so beside ourselves with outrage at (b)?

MM

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
(a) Three weeks ago some Taliban terrorists in Afghanistan charged into a schoolhouse and beheaded the teacher in front of his students. The teacher's "sin" was that he dared to allow girls to learn how to read and write, which the Taliban movement opposes.

(b) Sasha Cohen didn't say quite the words we wished that she would have when asked about Michelle Kwan's withdrawal from the Olympic games.

Are we really so beside ourselves with outrage at (b)?

MM

Well, when you put it that way, Mathman, (a) is obviously the scenario to cause everyone's outrage. We are so fortunate to live in a free society that considers education for our children to be a priority. I cannot imagine the trauma those boys and girls must be experiencing to see their teacher beheaded!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
If anyone would have responded so coldly i would have thought it rude. No one is asking her to call FTD just to use good manners.

sk8addict

On the Ice
get over it

SkateFan4Life said:
Maybe that's true, but at the very least, Sasha could have (and should have) said something nice about Michelle. Even if she is secretly rejoicing that Michelle has withdrawn from the competition, the classy thing would have been to have said something kind and compassionate.
Stop the Sasha bashing. We were nice about Michelle. Don't put your words & your thoughts into her mouth or head. She did wish Michelle a speedy recovery. . Don't be so bitter. It's not pretty. If YOU can't say something nice don't start a tread.

S

SkateFan4Life

sk8addict said:
Stop the Sasha bashing. We were nice about Michelle. Don't put your words & your thoughts into her mouth or head. She did wish Michelle a speedy recovery. . Don't be so bitter. It's not pretty. If YOU can't say something nice don't start a tread.

For the record, I am NOT "bitter" towards Sasha. If you take the time to read through this thread, you will read many comments from posters who were less than thrilled with the way in which Sasha handled this situation. We are entitled to our opinion, just as you are. So let's agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

By the way, I do consider Sasha to be a wonderful figure skater!

sk8addict

On the Ice
so nice

Frau Muller said:
It's six or seven years of our watching her on TV (or live) and listening to her answers to the media. We are not imagining her attitude. It *is* her attitude. That's just the way that it is and no amount of 'media training charm school' can change her, although she has tried really REALLY hard, lately, to show a 'sweet' personna on the screen.

She's simply an agressive little competitor. Pushy with a capital "P." The antithesis of the sweet-tempered 'girl-next-door' image of previous American ladies skaters. There's a reason why I've heard some people LAUGH OPENLY in arenas when Sasha falls. Sad but true.

p.s. Her ramming into fellow skaters during 2002 Nationals is just the tip of the iceberg. It would takes hours to give you a laundry list of examples.
Michelle would be so proud of you. How ashamed she would be if she bothered to watch how her fans act. She loves skating. You obviously don't.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
sk8addict said:

OK somebody really needs to explain bashing to me because I don't see where anyone is bashing Sasha. I think she acted rude and uncaring in this interview. She may very well be the sweetest gal on earth but in the context of what is being discussed in this thread some of us have drawn that OPINION. Is the new rule that all opinions about Sasha have to be positive ones or they are bashing?

She DID NOT wish Kwan a speedy recovery or anything else in the interview this morning with Katie Couric and THAT is what I am discussing.

Last edited:
From the Golden Skate guidelines:

"Bashing also means excessively posting negative things (true or untrue) pertaining to skaters. Again, it's 'ok' to disagree, joke, and comment, but to blatantly bash a skater because you don't like him/her will not be tolerated in this forum."

millie

Medalist
Piel said:
If anyone would have responded so coldly i would have thought it rude. No one is asking her to call FTD just to use good manners.

I am taking the risk here. I know that I may be kicked of the "DELuginals" but we are going to have to agree to disagree on this topic. What we are doing is "kicking a dead horse to death" on this topic. I learned my lesson with Katie-the lesson is never let her interview me.-I don' t know what I will say if you ever fell of the luge and got injured.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Where will I send the flowers, just in case.

Last edited: