Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
millie said:
I am taking the risk here. I know that I may be kicked of the "DELuginals" but we are going to have to agree to disagree on this topic. What we are doing is "kicking a dead horse to death" on this topic. I learned my lesson with Katie-the lesson is never let her interview me.-I don' t know what I will say if you ever fell of the luge and got injured.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Where will I send the flowers, just in case.
Oh Millie just make a donation to the Michelle Kwan Memorial Fund:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

sk8addict

On the Ice
Bashing

Piel said:
OK somebody really needs to explain bashing to me because I don't see where anyone is bashing Sasha. I think she acted rude and uncaring in this interview. She may very well be the sweetest gal on earth but in the context of what is being discussed in this thread some of us have drawn that OPINION. Is the new rule that all opinions about Sasha have to be positive ones or they are bashing?

She DID NOT wish Kwan a speedy recovery or anything else in the interview this morning with Katie Couric and THAT is what I am discussing.[/Q You better check your tape. Basher!!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
sk8addict said:
Piel said:
OK somebody really needs to explain bashing to me because I don't see where anyone is bashing Sasha. I think she acted rude and uncaring in this interview. She may very well be the sweetest gal on earth but in the context of what is being discussed in this thread some of us have drawn that OPINION. Is the new rule that all opinions about Sasha have to be positive ones or they are bashing?

She DID NOT wish Kwan a speedy recovery or anything else in the interview this morning with Katie Couric and THAT is what I am discussing.[/Q You better check your tape. Basher!!

Do you have a transcript that shows she did?

registered

On the Ice
Piel said:
1. Did not bump. Kwan won her polace on the team fair and square according to the rules.

2. When was she given the oipportunity to comment on sick team mates health?

3. By upstaging I take it that you mean Kwan got more press being absent than others got for being present? The press wants a good story and Kwan has always been a good story. That the nine time U.S. champion was not there due to injury WAS big news to the folks who only tune in for nationals, worlds, and Olys. I think what some of you are forgetting is that what is OLD news on the boards is BREAKING news to the casual observor of FS.

4. What press conference are you referring to that was called when someone else's had already been scheduled? The news stations control scheduling of what is covered and reported. What has Kwan held a press conference about that was not more newsworthy than what another skater was holding theirs about?

I honestly think that the nonKwans are just p***** beyond belief that even though Sasha is the National champ and Kwan had to withdraw from the Olys the news is still all about Kwan. Unlike the nonKwans it seems that lots of folks still hold her in high esteem. People are not going to forget about 12 years overnight. And you better believe that for the next 12 years any time Sasha, Kimmie,Emily, Katy, BeBe.............make a mistep a journalist somewhere is going to compare that to the "always classy Kwan".

1. She did bump Emily. If the "bye" would not be requested by Kwan, Hughes would be on the Olympic team, end of story.

2. She could have shown a compassion, warmths and humility by making some kind of a comment during the numerous press conferences at the time of Nationals. Concidering a fact that everyone else and his aunt had to make comments, statements and answer questions regarding her own health, I think it was pretty much Kwan's obligation to return a favour. Her coldness towards a teammate and a COI college Sasha Cohen, who's serious health condition even sparked rumors of possible withdrawal from Nationals begs a separate mention -- not a word of support, no get well messages from Michelle here.

3. It's been reported in few articles, that Michelle called her "BIG NEWS" conference at about a time, when teammate Cohen had her'scheduled (much in advance). I'm amazed that someone, as sensetive as you are, when it comes to Michelle, doesn't see such inconsiderate, cold attitude as striking and selfish. This is what I call "upstaging" in my book.

4. I think that for many Kwan fans, who have been in denial about Kwan's state of preparedness it is a good time to take their collective heads out of sand, and smell a reality. Stop turning this athlete into a false God, accept that she's only human, imperfect, and in fact many of her unsportsman-like antics were never really addressed, and it'll make you feel much better. Maybe you'd be able to root for any other skater, or be less critical of others too.

graceness

Rinkside
registered said:
1. 3. It's been reported in few articles, that Michelle called her "BIG NEWS" conference at about a time, when teammate Cohen had her'scheduled (much in advance). I'm amazed that someone, as sensetive as you are, when it comes to Michelle, doesn't see such inconsiderate, cold attitude as striking and selfish. This is what I call "upstaging" in my book.

Registered, it seems either you didn't read my post which gave the rationale for why the USOC (NOT Michelle) called the press conference for when they did or that my logic overwhelmed your complaint.

In any case, you might want to re-read it - see page 5 - as clearly Michelle was NOT the one to determine the time of the press conference. The USOC called the press conference - THEY were the ones to announce Michelle's withdrawal.

And, hate to say it, Registered, but the USOC felt that the withdrawal of Michelle Kwan from the Olympics WAS a bigger story and took precedence over Sasha's press conference. And given how this story has been front and center for the last two days, it appears the USOC was right.

C'mon, Registered, even you have to admit that this was a huge story. Maybe you're annoyed 'cause Sasha then had to field a few questions about it at her press conference.

Call it cold, selfish, inconsiderate and lacking in compassion if you want, but don't blame Michelle for it. Take it up with Ueberroth and the USOC. But I don't think you'll get far with Peter, given his views on the importance of Ms. Kwan.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
registered said:
1. She did bump Emily. If the "bye" would not be requested by Kwan, Hughes would be on the Olympic team, end of story.

2. She could have shown a compassion, warmths and humility by making some kind of a comment during the numerous press conferences at the time of Nationals. Concidering a fact that everyone else and his aunt had to make comments, statements and answer questions regarding her own health, I think it was pretty much Kwan's obligation to return a favour. Her coldness towards a teammate and a COI college Sasha Cohen, who's serious health condition even sparked rumors of possible withdrawal from Nationals begs a separate mention -- not a word of support, no get well messages from Michelle here.

3. It's been reported in few articles, that Michelle called her "BIG NEWS" conference at about a time, when teammate Cohen had her'scheduled (much in advance). I'm amazed that someone, as sensetive as you are, when it comes to Michelle, doesn't see such inconsiderate, cold attitude as striking and selfish. This is what I call "upstaging" in my book.

4. I think that for many Kwan fans, who have been in denial about Kwan's state of preparedness it is a good time to take their collective heads out of sand, and smell a reality. Stop turning this athlete into a false God, accept that she's only human, imperfect, and in fact many of her unsportsman-like antics were never really addressed, and it'll make you feel much better. Maybe you'd be able to root for any other skater, or be less critical of others too.

1. But she acted within the rules. Rules that were put in place just for this type of situation. It has been the general consensus that Kwan had a better shot for a medal than Hughes II. That's why the committee accepted the bye and approved her test skate.

2. This makes NO sense. What was she supposed to have said "BTW if anyone is feeling under the weather I am so sorry and hope you will be well soon???" I will bet you that if during any of her press conferences someone would have asked her what she had to say about anyone being ill she would have sent her best...that's just the way Kwan is. Sasha's back injury was over with at the time of Kwans pcs at Nationals and Sasha's bout with the flu was not made public until during nationals. You can't blame Kwan because the press are interested in everything about her. Some things are not in her control. Yesterday when offered the job with NBC she turned it down and chose to return home just to avoid doing wht you are accusing her of.

3. Which big pc??? Do you mean the one after her test skate? That was called by the USOC to release the results of the test skate as soon as possible after it's completion. You have to admit that was bigger news than whatever it was Sasha was reporting that day.

4. Kwan has not done anything unsportsmanlike that I have seen reported. No one is turning her into a falsegod. The problem we Kwan fans have if you want to call it a problem is that we hold other skaters to the high standards that Kwan has set. It will be difficult for anyone to fill her boots. That's what so much of the press about her has been about... that she was flawless reputation wise for such a long time. Her fans love that about her and her nonfans hate it beause it leaves them without ammunition to use against her. AS for Sasha's pc this morning with KC I hold her to the same standard I would one of my girls.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
There's always been this split between Sasha fans and Kwan fans so I'm not surprised to see it here. I do not personally enjoy Sasha Cohen but to each his own. I do prefer the athlete who does not have to be first on the ice, who is gracious in victory and in defeat, who has the class like Sarah Hughes to say that an athlete will represent her country well even when it means her sister not going, who doesn't just 'happen' to bump into people regularly at big competitions, etc., etc. Some of those things may be rumours but where there's smoke, there's fire. Over the many years that I have been a skating fan, I have heard one too many Sasha story to think that she's the kind of athlete I can get behind. Maybe I'm a sap but when an Olympic contender is asked straight out how she feels about her teammate and rival withdrawing, I think the classy thing is to say, "I'm sorry for her. I know she's worked really hard and this must be a tough time for Michelle. I wish her all the best."

LBC

On the Ice
Sasha just gets to Torino and is excited about the olympics and what is the first thing that happens. Michelle withdraws. Michelle is not dying. She just injured her groin. That is a normal injury for skaters. She'll be better with rest in a few weeks most likely. She had been to 2 olympics and won 2 medals. Sasha said nothing wrong. She said she wasn't sure what she could say if she saw Michelle. They aren't best friends. If it were Johnny it would have been different.

It is interesting to read Kimmie's comments about the media. She didn't just say that Sasha got the hard questions she said that Sasha got all the hard and mean questions. She was at the olympic summit with Sasha and they did a joint press conference. She watched and saw first hand those questions she was asked and seemed to admire her being able to answer them.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if this is the interview you're talking about

Sasha Interivew

I see Sasha as being very gracious athlete about the questions asked.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
everyone is obviously on edge because of Kwan's withdrawal. I don't even want to think about what it is like on MKF.

Indeed...it's not the end of the world...the Games will go on...the world will keep turning...life goes on. What about some of the other athletes that had to pull out due to injury? Are their fellow teammates being pressured to say something nice about them? And if they don't, will they be ripped to shreds by the fans and the press? Hmm...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Dee, I am talking about Katie Couric's interview with Sasha this morning on the Today show. I think that it was originally scheduled to be Katie, Sasha and Galina..three gals out for a little gellato, a fluff piece.. Then when Kwan had to withdraw Katie changed the focus of the inteview to Sasha's reaction to Kwan's withdrawal.

BTW thanks for the PM:) .

Yes it is an injury that will heal and she may not retire. BUT we fans have been waiting since 1994 to see her win an OGM and her withdrawal is the end of that dream. What is so hard to understand about that? We will never see her at the top of the Olympic podium and it is very sad.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Piel, I'm glad you're back posting. I was concerned about you. I know that you are having a rough time about Michelle and I understand that and that's why I was concerned. I am very sorry too about Michelle having to withdraw because it takes some of the excitement away from the Olympics. The ecitement being........will she ......or won't she. I wish her well and a complete recovery. I am sorry because of her withdrawl that all this other stuff has transpired.

Dee

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I think the poor girl is just sick of being asked about Michelle and how Michelle's skating or not skating impacts her own Olympics. I wouldn't blame her for being peeved, but from what I have read and seen of her interviews, I don't see anything mean-spirited or insensitive about her comments. Let's give her a break, be supportive, and let her skate......................:cool: 42

LBC

On the Ice
Sylvia said:
Re. Kwan's and Cohen's press conferences this past Sunday, Feb. 12...
USFS'/USOC's press officer, Laura Fawcett, mentions in her latest blog that Cohen's pre-scheduled press conference took place at 9:30 am while Kwan's last-minute one was scheduled at 11:30 am -- see::
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=33096

Yes but the news of Kwan's withdraw was already out. They asked Sasha about it in her press conference. I'm going to have to find the article but in one of them it said that there were very few reporters at Sasha's press conference. They were all getting the Kwan news out and getting ready for her press conference.

According to that blog the today show interview was right after the press conference. Sasha had just got to Italy a day earlier. California is 9 hrs. behind Torino. She was doing interviews at 12:30AM to 3:00AM her time. Give the girl a break if she didn't say the exact right thing being jet laged and just hearing the news about Michelle.

Last edited:

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Johar said:
I don't understand why people tend to take a jab at everything Sasha says. The girl can't win.

What has she done to make people think she is stuck up?

Agreed. I am guessing it is more the Michelle fans who are looking to nitpick/slam every little thing Cohen says-or doesn't.

I'm a fan of both skaters and I don't see a thing wrong with Sasha's remarks.

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
Still, I doubt if "Sasha Cohen's PR person" has the clout to tell Katie Couric what she can ask and what she can't.
The PR person most certainly does. It's just-
"'She won't be answering Kwan questions or we walk" It's done all the time in all kinds of interviews and believe me, Sasha is important enough to have her interview wishes met but for that matter, anyone being interviewed can do this. Sasha has plenty of press following her. Katie and the Today Show need her not the other way around.

Last edited:
Morganlee said:
Sasha is important enough to have her interview wishes ment but for that matter, anyone being interviewed can do this. Katie or not.
:rofl: Your naivete about who calls the shots is refreshing. George Bush, yes. Sasha Cohen, um, not so much.

Enero

On the Ice
I agree with Morganlee. NBC wants people watching the Olympics, especially their biggest ratings draw, ladies figure skating. Now that Kwan is out they go to the "next best thing" Cohen. I absolutely think that Cohen's PR people could've said "No Kwan Questions," and the Today Show would've complied. Like Morgan said Sasha doesn't NEED the Today Show. All she needs to do is stay focused so that she can skate her best at these games. But the Today Show need her so that they can try and keep people interested in the ladies figure skating event.