Michelle Kwan Offered Job with NBC to Commentate at Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan Offered Job with NBC to Commentate at Olympics

Still, I can see why NBC wanted Michelle to hang around in some capacity. I will be interested to see what kind of viewer interest there will be in the figure skating events at Torino. Traditionally the ladies LP is the most watched event of the Olympic games, except for the opening and closing ceremonies.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
millie said:
Pro and con statements will only keep her legend alive. Do you want that?

C'mon Millie... You are too much of a fan of figure skating to deny Kwan her legend... She's awesome and a great example of a champion, regardless of whether you're a fan or not... its petty to deny her that...:p

Regardless, I will be rooting for you, Rgirl and DG this evening during the women's luge!!! :clap: :laugh:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I wouldn't be surprised if TODAY Show, or 'Olympic Ice' or some other NBC concern doesn't yet 'wire' Michelle for some commentary from her California home. Just 'cause she's isn't in Torino doesn't mean that she can't be part of the NBC/MadisonAve team. Don't Terry Gannon, Paul Wylie & co. voice-over their comments on some Grand Prix events from studios in NYC? At some events, the only member of the ESPN crew who is actually shown on-camera at the competition site is Peter Carruthers. I have a sneaking suspicion that that is because all of the others are 'virtually' there. Same thing can happen with Michelle -- but, in that case, everyone will know that Michelle is commentating from L.A.

It *would* be a cool thing, I have to admit. I'd love to hear what Michelle has to say about the competition, as it is unfolding. She would be gracious & fair, I'd bet.

Frau Muller said:
She would be gracious & fair, I'd bet.
Oh, I hope not. I hope she says, "OK, here's Irina. Can't skate her way out of a paper bag. You call that a spiral? I was robbed at the 2000 Grand Prix Final."

"Next up, Sasha. Did I ever tell you about the time she bumped into me on purpose in practice? As soon as they turned the camera off I snatched her bald!"

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Oh, I hope not. I hope she says, "OK, here's Irina. Can't skate her way out of a paper bag. You call that a spiral? I was robbed at the 2000 Grand Prix Final."

"Next up, Sasha. Did I ever tell you about the time she bumped into me on purpose in practice? As soon as they turned the camera off I snatched her bald!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Mathman said:

U funny :laugh: I just noticed the E=mk - very cute!

kyla2

Final Flight
Michelle

She remains the classiest figure in ice skating and the greatest skater of all time.

cianni

On the Ice
Wonder

I do wonder how the ratings will be. I for one will not be watching and some people I have talked to say the same. I dont think Michelle will be on TV and it would be inhumane to ask her to comment or watch live when injury has denied her the opportunity to compete. I still say I didnt see her new programs and will NEVER know if she could have won the Gold. There are some interesting athletes winning gold and some expected winners not. I didnt see the men but the standings dont surprise me.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I do hope we get to see her programs ...maybe she'll pop up at 2007Nationals just to give them a whirl - now that would be a good way to go out.

millie

Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
C'mon Millie... You are too much of a fan of figure skating to deny Kwan her legend... She's awesome and a great example of a champion, regardless of whether you're a fan or not... its petty to deny her that...:p

Regardless, I will be rooting for you, Rgirl and DG this evening during the women's luge!!! :clap: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Kwanford wife, are you talking about that post I made 'Pro and con statements will only keep her legend alive. Do you want that to happen?":laugh: I made that statement because in another thread about Michelle, Joe made that comment to me ,so being silly me, I quoted the same statement to him, when he mentioned Michelle's name. No harm done.:)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
millie said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Kwanford wife, are you talking about that post I made 'Pro and con statements will only keep her legend alive. Do you want that to happen?":laugh: I made that statement because in another thread about Michelle, Joe made that comment to me ,so being silly me, I quoted the same statement to him, when he mentioned Michelle's name. No harm done.:)

So sorry... Right after I typed that response, I read Joe's statement & caught up with the rest of you... Then of course, I giggled. I meant to go & edit, but actually had a real work deadline (can you imagine? interrupting my posting with WORK?!? the nerve...)

Oh well... we can't all be perfect, right?

new_europe2006

Rinkside
FreeKatie said:
I do hope we get to see her programs ...maybe she'll pop up at 2007Nationals just to give them a whirl - now that would be a good way to go out.

Me too. I'd love to see her win her 10th national title.

new_europe2006

Rinkside
Mathman said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

S

SkateFan4Life

FreeKatie said:

I would love to see Michelle's short and long programs. If she films a television special this year and skates them, that would be great. If she remains an eligible skater and performs them next year, that would also be great, however, I suspect that we have a better chance of seeing Michelle skating them in a special than in competition.