Olympic Medals - CDs on Ribbon? | Golden Skate

Olympic Medals - CDs on Ribbon?

S

SkateFan4Life

Have you noticed that the Olympic medals look very much like gold, silver, and bronze CDs on ribbons?

Saundy

On the Ice
I love them! I wasn't expecting them to be shiny either. I thought they'd be more like the SLC ones which kind of had an aged look to them. But I think they're really unique.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it was Hendricks that said I got a gold doughnut. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Have you noticed that the Olympic medals look very much like gold, silver, and bronze CDs on ribbons?
My thoughts exactly!

soogar

Record Breaker
I think those medals are ugly and tasteless. I'm very surprised that the Italians couldn't come up with a more artistic design with their fashion and artistic culture.

S

SkateFan4Life

soogar said:
I think those medals are ugly and tasteless. I'm very surprised that the Italians couldn't come up with a more artistic design with their fashion and artistic culture.

Does anyone out there know how this "CD" design was chosen? Was a contest held to select the style of medals that would be presented at Torino?

sycamore29

Spectator
My mom's first comment upon seeing the medals were that they were ugly and looked like CDs on ribbons!

However, I saw a report on the Today show last week about the medals and they were actually kind of pretty when you saw them up close.

The reverse side of the medal signifies which sport it is awarded for and is far prettier than the side you see when it is around the athlete's neck. Katie Couric was interviewing a woman connected with the manufacturing of the medals and if I recall correctly they were all hand made in Italy - I just can't recall the name of the company or artist responsible for them. I'm sure the Today show or NBC website may have more specific details.

My vote for ugliest Oly medals has to be the ones from Calgary in '88. Even the ribbons were ugly - I think they were some hideous teal/ purple/ orange fabric. Blech!

Mafke

Medalist
Ugly medals: Calgary, SLC, Innsbruck (76)

Cool medals: Sapporo, Albertville, Lillehammer, Nagano

Guilty pleasure: Sarajevo (not generally popular, but I like it)

I'd put these in the cool category, I especialy like the ribbon pulled thru the hole, very studied casual with northern Italian flair.

Serena

Rinkside
ITA. The first thing I thought when I saw one was, "It looks like a CD!". Subliminal messages from the record companies to get people to buy more CDs and stop downloading? :rofl:

S

SkateFan4Life

Serena said:
ITA. The first thing I thought when I saw one was, "It looks like a CD!". Subliminal messages from the record companies to get people to buy more CDs and stop downloading? :rofl:

Funny! Some of the medal winner have bit into their medals, and at least the medals have not broken to bits. :rofl:

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
I didn't like them at first. Now they're sort of growing on me. I thought it was supposed to represent a doughnut or something lol! But on tv they said that it's supposed to represent a piazza-except that a piazza is square. I also don't like the ribbon attachment-just sort of tied or looped around the medal's hole. It looks amateurish. I like the attachments for previous medals much more.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I actually like them a lot. They're actually quite large, and thick and heavy. Jennifer Heil, the womens moguls winner joked that she was nervous having seen pictures that it would be really small, and then just have a big hole in the middle, but instead apparently she discovered that they were huge, and very heavy!