Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well, my heart is really broken. I felt like crying along with her. She has handled everything like a pro and I am so proud of her. I would guess she will go pro but of course, no one really knows. I'm sure she will have a problem deciding what to do. I was hoping she would go to SOI but I think Collins has been really good to her and wouldn't be surprised if she stayed with them. So, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her. :clap: :rock: :love: :love: :chorus: :thumbsup:

rob43

On the Ice
I imagine her practices were improving in LA but it's not the first time a transcontintental flight has worsened an athlete. While I also wonder if walking in the OC was not the wisest choice it was her choice and there was no way of knowing how things would play out. She was really in a race against the clock and unfortunately it seems injury begets injury in a lot of situations like this.

That said- she'd pulled it together in shorter periods in the past and to have won and medalled at as many comps as her you are not reasonable- you are either a dreamer or have a healthy dose of ego. Probably both and she has the hardware to show that she's been able to push through in the past.

I think she made the only decision she could & respect that she has never once whined about an circumstances she's come against. And for everyone who's 'validated' by her absense- too bad you can't show equal enthusiasm for other skaters as you do dislike of this specific one.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Someone get me an intervention...

I stayed up ALL night watching coverage leading up to the press conference, and I cried right a long with Michelle. Leave it to Phil Hersh to ask the question that everyone knew didnt need to be answered, of course she was devastated of course her life long dreams may not come true... I felt like Christine Brennan wanted to cry for michelle too, and Scott was barely able to keep it together in his interviews.

My concern is why do I care so much... I feel like MY olympic dreams were dashed. I need to get a job and a life.

Oceanguy

Rinkside
Devastated

OMG! I was completly shocked at 230ish this morning to see the newsflash while watching the rebroadcast of the nights events. I'm totally devasted; I cried and sobbed uncontrolably while watching her interview this morning. I almost feel like just canceling my trip to Torino; I leave on Saturday. I was going only for the sake of seeing Michelle skate. I'm really still in shock hoping that I'm in an extended horrible awful nightmare. I hope that she'll be able to tour, which will be my next opportunity to see her skate.
I was thinking that whatever the outcome of this Oly, that she'd come back to break the US Nat's record and attempt winning another world title. At least for now, for a completely, almost obsessed MK Fan, there's still hope. I pray for a healthy recovery and wish the best to Emily and the rest of the US Skating Team. :cry:
AB

chania36

On the Ice
I am completely shocked too. You could see by the coverage of her pratices that she was very very emotional, I just felt for her, she is such a classy woman... I believe though that was the right decision for her, she could hurt herself more, she has to think about her health before anything else, and what good it would be for her if she would loose a skating career after... and her health... She did try her best... She makes me think of Kurt Browning, like he never won the olympic gold medal that he wanted, and he is one of the greatest men skater there is out there, he is I think 40 yrs old and still skating well... I think Michelle had a great career, it would of been nice for her to have the gold medal, but today she is leaving with a more higher price... Her Dignity !!! She is such a classy girl... My heart breaks for her. has I was watching the news at around 4:00 am here in Canada, the press conference, I just felt for her, you could see she was trying not to cry... But boy does she leaves us with a uge legacy in skating.... So good luck to you Michelle.... Get well and We love you all....You are a champion....

Last edited:

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Why should anyone be shocked? She has been avoiding the Cop for the most part since it's inception.. She was a 6.0 skater pure and simple. Now maybe future skaters will understand that this is a serious sport, not the ballet.

Oceanguy

Rinkside
A serious SPORT? C'mon, it has always been a serious sport! And, yes surpised, not because she's not going to WIN the gold medal, but b/c she's not going to compete, which is where MK's passian lies. And for avoiding, she was pacing herself, which has been debated over and over again.....without resolve. Anyway, I'm in COMPLETE SHOCK and ask why why why would/could this happen to such a person! But why does anything adverse or "bad" happen to anyone?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
:cry:....my heart breaks for her! It is always hard to see someone who has been so good have to deal with something that is seemingly so unfair. But, these things happen. I have never been more proud of Michelle. As has been said so many times before, she shows tremendous grace under pressure. She handles herself with complete class in the face of crushing disappointment. She is something very special, and I don't believe we'll see an athlete quite like her for some time. So, whatever happens (whether she stays or goes, etc.) I wish her the very best. She has a big heart and a great attitude. Anything she wants can be hers. She has given me and countless others a host of brilliant memories over the years, so I genuinely hope that the future is as equally as kind to her. :biggrin:

Now maybe future skaters will understand that this is a serious sport, not the ballet.

Yes, it has always been a serious sport. It takes tremendous stamina, athletic ability, focus, etc. to perform an elite level program on par with Kwan, Cohen, Slutskaya, etc. (6.0 judged or COP). Yet, if you strip away the artistic/balletic, then all you have is a robot moving from trick to trick. It is art AND sport. It will never be one or the other.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
For those Kwan fans

Here is a good read article (if not posted) from Phil Hersh)
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13856353.htm

"Seldom has there been a skater that, upon the mere mention of her name, fans would almost swoon," said Morry Stillwell, former president of the U.S. Figure Skating Association.
Kwan unquestionably belongs on the short list of the greatest in history, along with Witt; three-time Olympic champion Henie; and U.S. women Tenley Albright and Carol Heiss, each of whom won Olympic gold and silver medals, and Peggy Fleming, the 1968 Olympic champion, whose aura transcended her triumph.

Comparing them is nearly impossible because of rules differences between their eras. The best measure may be how dominant each was in her prime, which would set Henie apart. But even that needs tempering because the competition now is so much deeper and geographically widespread.

Simply: Kwan beat more good skaters from more countries for a longer time than anyone else.
"Michelle lasted and proved herself over and over and over again," Carroll said. "Every time somebody said another skater was going to win - Naomi Nari Nam after 1999, Sasha Cohen after 2000 - Michelle still beat them."
In 2001, when a resolute Kwan narrowly beat Slutskaya for the world title for the second straight year, French figure skating coach Annick Gailhaguet called Kwan the greatest skater of the previous 50 years but thought she had stagnated.

"Skating is not only speed or jumps or choreography," Gailhaguet said. "It is all those qualities together. Nobody ever had all those qualities, but the one who has the most is Michelle.

"Everything she does in the skating part is perfect - the quality of the edges, the positions of her body, arms and head, her line, her lightness, the technique on her jumps. But I would like to see her do something completely different in her programs. She changes the music but it's the same program. ... Except for that, she is the best skater our sport has ever had."
Joe Inman was moved to tears by Kwan's performance at the 1998 U.S. Championships, when he was among the judges who rained perfect scores on her artistic impression (15 out of 18) in the short and long programs.

"Michelle has given many terrific moments to the sport/art of ice skating," Inman said. "She brought many people into this genre by giving us her love of the sport and projecting to us as a true professional. She has proven herself to be a champion of champions."

My heart just goes out to her.....she's been the trooper for USFSA for years! A true champion of champions.

Panther2000

On the Ice
BronzeisGolden said:
:cry:....my heart breaks for her! It is always hard to see someone who has been so good have to deal with something that is seemingly so unfair. But, these things happen. I have never been more proud of Michelle. As has been said so many times before, she shows tremendous grace under pressure. She handles herself with complete class in the face of crushing disappointment. She is something very special, and I don't believe we'll see an athlete quite like her for some time. So, whatever happens (whether she stays or goes, etc.) I wish her the very best. She has a big heart and a great attitude. Anything she wants can be hers. She has given me and countless others a host of brilliant memories over the years, so I genuinely hope that the future is as equally as kind to her. :biggrin:

Yes, it has always been a serious sport. It takes tremendous stamina, athletic ability, focus, etc. to perform an elite level program on par with Kwan, Cohen, Slutskaya, etc. (6.0 judged or COP). Yet, if you strip away the artistic/balletic, then all you have is a robot moving from trick to trick. It is art AND sport. It will never be one or the other.

I couldn't agree more. :rock:

& Don't feed the TROLLS. They registered in order to bash. Just ignore them

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Panther2000 said:
I couldn't agree more. :rock:

& Don't feed the TROLLS. They registered in order to bash. Just ignore them

thank you for that level headed reminder :agree:

It was shocking, and watching Scott Hamilton talk to her about it on olympic ice even got little old me feeling sorry for her...

and she gets a standing O for me for deciding this NOW and not in the SP warm up... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chania, you are such a thoughtful person. I was so pleased to read your lovely post.

Oceanguy, my heart goes out to you for not getting to see Michelle compete in Torino. But here's the remedy: Go and cheer for Matt Savoie :rock: and Silverstein and O'Meara :love:

MM :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Morganlee said:
Because someone does not spout the party line does not make them a troll.

but there is a way to be TACTFUL when voicing/typing your opinion... and considering you only have 4 posts to your name it DOES make posters weary... especially since you're only posting the same type of stuff on the threads... please respect the other side... if I can do it anyone can ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Chania, you are such a thoughtful person. I was so pleased to read your lovely post.

Oceanguy, my heart goes out to you for not getting to see Michelle compete in Torino. But here's the remedy: Go and cheer for Matt Savoie :rock: and Silverstein and O'Meara :love:

you forgot Melissa and Denis!!! *sobbles*

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Tonichelle said:
but there is a way to be TACTFUL when voicing/typing your opinion... and considering you only have 4 posts to your name it DOES make posters weary... especially since you're only posting the same type of stuff on the threads... please respect the other side... if I can do it anyone can ;)
Agreed- I've just never been able to stomach party line politics.

emma

Record Breaker
I've been trying to think of what to say all day, but all I can think of is Joe's gut feeling was correct, and Rgirl's wasn't and boy do I wish the reverse were true.

I feel so deeply for Kwan and all the people really close to her right now....I have so loved watching her skate, and so anticipated this competition. All I can say, really, is I remain in awe of her competitive spirit, talet and grace...what an amazing woman.

chania36

On the Ice
Mathman said:

How thoughtful of you once again, you are so nice and kind. Thanks for what you bring here in this forum....

mzheng said:
Here is a good read article (if not posted) from Phil Hersh.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13856353.htm
Among all the quotes and comments, this one especially caught my eye:

"Talking about the recent decline in ratings for televised figure skating, sports TV guru Eddie Einhorn said, 'Without Kwan, we would have been dead by now.'"

Figure skating, in common with golf and tennis, is a personality-driven sport. Folks tune in to see their favorites. I wish I had a crystal ball to see what the future will bring.

MM

Kwan101

Rinkside
Did everyone see the clip of her they played tonight? Watching the footage of her crying at the end of her "Fields of Gold" exhibition in the 2002 Olympics brought tears to my eyes. There is no one skating today who has her grace and soul on the ice. And if there ever has been, I haven't seen her.

I am so grateful for Michelle's career and while I hate to see it end, I'd have hated it even more if she went out there and had a subpar skate that many would remember her by.