Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

Enero

On the Ice
Not really surprised by this annoucement. After hearing her comments during the press conference yesterday I figured her problems in practice weren't just due to a stiff groin, and I'm relieved that she withdrew in time for Emily to replace her.

Still I feel really sad for her, and I hope that she can fully recover now and come back strong next season!

Last edited:

eliza88

On the Ice
OH...so sad! I miss seeing this exquisite skater...so hoping her health would remain good and she could have a great Olympics (on a selfish note, I WANT TO SEE THOSE PROGRAMS! Maybe next year when she goes for that 10th title???). I really don't know why there are many who doubt her intentions, I have seen so many Kwan interviews and she has never come across as anything but honest and sincere! Hello...she skated 2 back to back programs for her test skate with very little rest in between. Does that sound like someone hiding an injury? It's a bummer that she has reinjured herself...I am so so sad!!!!

eliza88

S

SkateFan4Life

I think that one of the factors causing Michelle to make the "quick" decision to withdraw was the realization that this story (her injury, possible withdrawal, etc) would continue to be big news, at least in the US media, for the duration of the Olympics. She would never be able to escape the media microscope, as long as the spectre of injury and possible withdrawal was on the landscape.

She was really in a terrible situation. Michelle made the decision she had to make, as terrible and heartbreaking as it was for her to do so.

S

SkateFan4Life

Absolutely heartbreaking for Michelle. The lady will always be a champ, as far as I'm concerned. :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
wow. When I first got up this morning and watched my PVR recording of the Today show, I was like "What?" I didn't expect her to pull out so soon; I thought she would tough it out. Well, something definitely was wrong at that practice we saw then...I don't know if we'll know exactly what it was or not, but I think at that point she knew it was over. When I saw her crying at the press conference it was really sad. And I'm not even a fan of hers.

Sounds like Hughes will replace her. But this leads me to ask the question- and maybe I'll get jumped on for this, but what the heck- why did she go in the first place? Something must have happened when she got there or something. It couldn't have been the ride or marching at the ceremony that caused it, because she should have been over that by now. Or maybe she should have waited until she wasn't so "stiff" to start practicing.

oh well. Look for the pressure and press attention to shift elsewhere. How much attention do you think Hughes will get now?

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
As always, Kwan is a great champion and a class act.

Screw you, soogar. Even Satan thinks you're an ***. Just be grateful you got exactly what you wanted. That goes for the rest of you anti-Kwannies too.

S

SkateFan4Life

This sad episode reminds me of Randy Gardner's groin injury that forced him and Tai Babilonia to withdraw from the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics. During their short program warm-up, Randy repeatedly fell while attempting to do their side by side double flip jumps. Michelle Kwan fell while attempting to land her triple flip jump, and she, apparently, reinjured her groin in the process.

Yo, Jimmy! From your posts on the other threads I thought, oh no, Jimmy Hoffa's mellowed out. Good to see you back in form. :rock:

MM ;)

76olympics

On the Ice
My hope is that Michelle rehabilitates for the long haul; she made a tough decision very gracefully and I think it was the right one. She didn't draw it out and I have a great deal of admiration for her. Reveling in anyone's misfortune is not my bag; it's much much better to support the skaters you are fervent about rather than denigrate the ones you don't care for. Try it and you will find your heart will be a good bit lighter and your spirits will rise.

Go, Sasha, Kimmie and Emily! Go, Irina! Go, Carolina, Joanie and all the rest! I would love to see some beautiful skates!

Mathman said:
Yo, Jimmy! From your posts on the other threads I thought, oh no, Jimmy Hoffa's mellowed out. Good to see you back in form. :rock:
MM ;)
I was thinking the same thing when I read JimmyH's post. As the song says, "The b***h is back!" and I'm very glad he is. :bow: :rock: :bow:

Rgirl

EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION: I'm glad your back, JH, and I'm sure Soogar can take whatever you dish out. However, I want to make it clear that my stance is that Soogar has a right to express her opinion, as do we all. Soogar is blunt, so what? I hope both blunt and tactful posters have the same rights on GS. Bashing is another story, as is posting just to stir up trouble. But fortunately it is for the moderators to decide which is what and how to handle such things, not me--thank god.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Timothy Goebel must be in tears at this time. Remember his tearful reaction to his friend Michelle's finishing third (not first) at Salt Lake City?

waxel

Final Flight
I adore Michelle and have since the beginning. I am not even remotely an Emily Hughes fan and I'd rather see a weak Kwan than a healthy Emily any day. However this whole "petition-bye-wellness check-okayed to compete" scenario smacks of avarice. I agree with the bye, but do not believe the "committee" or Michelle truly believed she was 100%. Participating in the Opening Ceremonies was foolish and she's suffering the consequences.

And now we get Emily. Oy. Sorry, just not a fan. Maybe with some physical conditioning and a style make-over I could get behind her but for now, nope... she doesn't do it for me. I'm sure this post will irritate her fans, but I don't care. However, I do hope she, and all the ladies, skate well.

However, I still hope Michelle can somehow get healthy and continue to skate. I'd still like to see her with a 10th National Title

Justafan

On the Ice
I hate to hear it. I was hoping it was just tiredness and nerves that was getting to her. On the bright side, I hope Michelle goes pro. Pro skating needs an infusion of new talent and I think she would be great at it.

rain

Record Breaker
This is sad - if not totally unexpected....I don't like to see any skater go out this way. I would guess Kwan will retire now. It would have been nice to see her go out on a high note. It must have been a really tough decision.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
soogar said:
You're just sore b/c I was right all along that the process of putting an injured athlete on the team who has only competed only once under COP was a dumb thing to do.

As for rehashing memories of Tara, I only post on Tara in response to Kwan fans who feel the compulsive need to bash someone who beat their skater a long time ago.

While you are entitled to your own opinion, this whole "I'M RIGHT" mentality is so middle-school, that you really should just back down. I don't know what your problem is, but BEING "RIGHT" about this isn't going to automatically win your favourite an Olympic gold medal, or get you a job somewhere.

You just got lucky that she pulled out. Go do something productive with your day and take your "I'M RIGHT" attitude elsewhere.

Back to Michelle-

Could a 10th US title still be within her reach next year?

A 6th world title? It would be considered the "building" year for the next quadrennium, but she'll be up against Mao, Yeon-Ah, Emily, Alyssa, and the Canadians...

Justafan said:
I hate to hear it. I was hoping it was just tiredness and nerves that was getting to her. On the bright side, I hope Michelle goes pro. Pro skating needs an infusion of new talent and I think she would be great at it.

If she goes pro (which would help pro skating), it will be good for both sides of the sport (just my opinion...I'm not insinuating that I'm right, as some people here tend to do)--the pro scene will retain more interest (just no more TOO HOT TO SKATE, or BATTLE OF THE SEXES), and perhaps the ISU will be prompted to host pro/am competitions again.

Or, she can do what Rena Inoue did, and skate pairs =)

Last edited by a moderator:

kyla2

Final Flight
A View From A Michelle Fan

Well, I am heartbroken for her, and also for us, because we will never see her like again at the Olympics. After yesterday's press conference I am not surprised and I expected it. I knew she had something terribly wrong to be crying at the boards. It wasn't just stiffness. I hope she knows how much she is loved and supported in her decision. She is truly a class act and if she does retire (which I also fully expect) it will be the end of the greatest era in figure skating. It will also be the retirement of its greatest figure skater. My heart is no longer in this Olympics and I will watch the figure skating and root for our home girls but that's all I can muster. Michelle honey, we love you.

Vash01

Medalist
I watched the news conference this morning until 4:30am (my time) and it was sad. However, my respect for Michelle has multiplied by at least 1000 after this. What a classy lady! She kept her word, and pulled out early so that Emily would have a chance to get ready. She placed her team before her own interest. She looked sad but remarkably composed, considering the situation. My hat's off to her. She is truly the greatest champion ever.

I am heartbroken for her, but I hope she will be back. At least her injury is not career ending, according to the doctor.

Good luck Michelle!

Vash

cianni

On the Ice
Jimmy Hoffa

You might send out this message . Be careful what you ask for you might get it. Now that Emily is going where do you think she will place. Im assuming she is now the overwhelming favorite since the uproar is now put to rest and she is now on the team and no longer cheated of her rightful place on the oly team our only hope for Gold. I say again be careful what you ask for you may get it. Im now expecting a Gold from Emily and the nastys will be right .

havanamesa1

Rinkside
cianni said:
... she is now the overwhelming favorite since the uproar is now put to rest and she is now on the team and no longer cheated of her rightful place on the oly team our only hope for Gold. I say again be careful what you ask for you may get it. Im now expecting a Gold from Emily and the nastys will be right .

Emily was NEVER and won't be an overwhelming favorite (she'll have to go up against Cohen and Meissner first) and she was NEVER cheated of any "rightful" place because she was NEVER on the team to begin with. Now Emily will have the opportunity to show everyone that Michelle would have had a better chance medalling with mistakes, than she will skating clean programs which will unlikely even get her any spot in the top ten.