Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

flowjo35

On the Ice
My heart aches for her right now, but I know with her support system she will be okay. This is a classy young women who has her whole life ahead of her. She kept her word and withdraw because she did not feel 100%. Hopefully the news media will be kind to her, but if not she has her family and fans. Get well Michelle.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've loved MK since I first saw her skate a decade ago. She is the sole reason for my getting interested in FSing. And she is a class act. BUT marching in the opening ceremonies was just dumb as I said in another post. Long plane ride, walking and sitting in the cold for hours. I have to say I have lost some respect for her for her decision making especially when it comes to the Olympics. I don't mean her decision not to skate. She's got a long life ahead of her and why go around with a compromised body due to pushing it. I mean her decision to do the ceremonies. Doing this I think was on some level a self-destructive act. This is just my opinion so nobody jump all over me for it. I hope to see MK go for a 10th Nationals title next year.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
yelyoh said:
I've loved MK since I first saw her skate a decade ago. She is the sole reason for my getting interested in FSing. And she is a class act. BUT marching in the opening ceremonies was just dumb as I said in another post. Long plane ride, walking and sitting in the cold for hours. I have to say I have lost some respect for her for her decision making especially when it comes to the Olympics. Doing this I think was on some level a self-destructive act. This is just my opinion so nobody jump all over me for it. I hope to see MK go for a 10th Nationals title next year.

:disapp:

nymkfan51 said:
I agree with everything you said Rgirl. :love:

I just feel so heartbroken right now for Michelle. She worked so hard this past year, but it seems nothing could go right for her.
I didn't come on the boards right away this morning because I thought if I heard one negative thing about her, I would go through the roof. But most folks have been very decent, and for that I am thankful.

My wish for Michelle is that she be given the time and space right now to heal both mentally and physically. And whatever she decides for her future, I can say that I will be there to support her 100%.

What an amazing young woman she is.
Thanks, and I agree with everything you said right back, NYMKFAN. :love: Sad that sadness bring people together, re your point about how decent most people have been. Even sadder that Michelle's loss, which she has handled with the absolutely appropriate steps and utmost grace, has also brought out a few trolls. :sheesh:

And thank you Mathman for posting that beautiful quote. :agree: :agree: :agree: What a swell mod you are.

Rgirl

unique

Spectator
yelyoh said:
I've loved MK since I first saw her skate a decade ago. She is the sole reason for my getting interested in FSing. And she is a class act. BUT marching in the opening ceremonies was just dumb as I said in another post. Long plane ride, walking and sitting in the cold for hours. I have to say I have lost some respect for her for her decision making especially when it comes to the Olympics. I don't mean her decision not to skate. She's got a long life ahead of her and why go around with a compromised body due to pushing it. I mean her decision to do the ceremonies. Doing this I think was on some level a self-destructive act. This is just my opinion so nobody jump all over me for it. I hope to see MK go for a 10th Nationals title next year.

If you really a fan of hers, you would behind her 100% of her decision and not be ungrateful.

unique

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
unique said:
If you really a fan of hers, you would behind her 100% of her decision and not be ungrateful.

unique

Did you read my post? I AM 100% behind her decision to withdraw.

soogar

Record Breaker
yelyoh said:

Well maybe she marched b/c she had a feeling that she wouldn't be able to compete and wanted to enjoy one last time. Marching in the ceremonies didn't cause that injury. She was injured all along and was put on the team in hopes of her recovering in time to compete in the games. I don't care what all the haters said, Michelle didn't produce more in her audition skate than Emily did in her competitive skates at Nats. While I don't think she should have been sent at all, at least she's pulling out in time for Emily to get mentally ready to skate.

Though before everyone jumps on the Michelle is so classy parade, real class would have prompted her not to petition at all. I don't think Michelle for a second expected this kind of scrutiny at the games for her practice sessions nor the public pressure to deliver a medal. Ironically, had she just competed at Nationals and earned her spot, even with a crappy performance, she could have gone to these games in relative peace and been content with just focusing on her skating and delivering the best performance *she* was capable of. By putting her on the team and declaring her a great shot at winning an OGM, the USFS (and Michelle) opened her up to more pressure.

On a side note, Emily was so cute in the local interview. It seems they abruptly cut the interview to make the time limit and the way it was cut, made it sem like Emily was chattering for an hour straight. Stage is getting set for Baby Hughes to pull a surprise at the games.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Soogar...you're just unbelievable...

You're absolutely bitter about any good thing Kwan gets. She's LEAVING the games. Don't you get that...you freakin' won and yet you're still not satisfied because Kwan is getting deserved praise for leaving in time for Emily to skate. Of course why am I surprised. You'd be hating on Kwan until you're old and gray.

Unclassy post I know, but you don't deserve one with all your anti-Kwan spew.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
fscric said:
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Soogar...you're just unbelievable...

QUOTE]

but predictable, what else could you expect from Soogar.

I know. I really hope Soogar finds something else to do after Kwan retires. Who knows what Soogar will do when Kwan retires outside rehashing angry memories from the Tara/Michelle days.

soogar

Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
fscric said:
I know. I really hope Soogar finds something else to do after Kwan retires. Who knows what Soogar will do when Kwan retires outside rehashing angry memories from the Tara/Michelle days.

You're just sore b/c I was right all along that the process of putting an injured athlete on the team who has only competed only once under COP was a dumb thing to do.

As for rehashing memories of Tara, I only post on Tara in response to Kwan fans who feel the compulsive need to bash someone who beat their skater a long time ago.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Well, I am sad because I guess we all know how much it meant to her to go to another Olympics, but I am happy that she listen to her body and kept her word, that shows a lot about her character. She has already done a lot for our sport, and that won't change. Wish you the best Michelle!!

flowjo35

On the Ice
Wow, some people just can't not let Michelle's fans get over her withdrawing. That's so sad. Good luck Michelle.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
soogar said:
VIETgrlTerifa said:
You're just sore b/c I was right all along that the process of putting an injured athlete on the team who has only competed only once under COP was a dumb thing to do.

As for rehashing memories of Tara, I only post on Tara in response to Kwan fans who feel the compulsive need to bash someone who beat their skater a long time ago.

It's not just the process, but it's EVERYTIME you post about Kwan...no matter what the topic is, you're there getting your usual "veiled" insults in.

You've been harping on Kwan every chance you got. Yeah I'm sore, but you can't help to just get your kicks in, all the time. No matter what the topic is, there you are taking the extreme position always against her. And it's not because you're not a Kwan fan because I'm able to have discussions with level-headed people who don't always see Kwan in the best light, but they are able to be fair towards her. You can't seem to show any fairness towards her and always need to put your pot shots in. The fact is you harbor bitter feelings toward Kwan and nothing Kwan does is good for you. And you only pay attention when there is something to complain about. And there are times where you're just reaching.

I can't treat you like a normal poster regarding Kwan. You're a troll and you've always been one.

Last edited:

unique

Spectator
soogar said:

It doesn't change that your true colors coming out!! Your true colors coming out! If you don't have any nice bones in your body that you would like to contribute in this thread, you wasting bandwith. Basically your posts regards to MK is always the same crap & on different thread. Its getting old.

unique

Last edited:

tarotx

On the Ice
I know a lot of people predicted that Michelle would withdraw before the games and hating her for taking Emily's place but if you watched Michelle all these years you would know that she's a class act. She truly wanted this and IMO earned her place at last years worlds. I think that is what she believed as well. I think most people all along said Michelle and Sasha on the team no matter what. I saw Michelle do a gorgeous triple toe yesterday. Since that jump was that beautiful I truly believe that she was healed and there was no reason not to put her on the team. Since imo she earned her place I have no regrets that Emily didn't get to march in the opening ceremonies. She will get to march in the closing ceremonies. So no big deal.

When you have had a major hip injury the way Michelle did this season it alters your mechanics because no matter what you are self conscious about re-injury. Because of that fact new injury after new injury often happens.

I really thought she was fine after watching the practice video-Just sleepy and achy from the plane and cold. I feel guilty for reassuring everybody including myself. I work with gymnasts and I would have told her she was fine and that makes me hate myself. I actually puked. Poor Michelle.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Michelle Kwan Withdraws from the Olympics

Terribly sad news....US skater Michelle Kwan has withdrawn from the Olympic figure skating competition. The 9-time US National Champion, 5-time World Champion, and Olympic silver and bronze medalist announced her withdrawal early this morning (East Coast time).

NBC-television aired an interview with Michelle, Scott Hamilton, and Bob Costas. Michelle was a bit emotional and tearful as she described the events that caused her to make this difficult decision. She had greatly enjoyed attending Friday evening's opening ceremonies, but when she awoke yesterday, she felt "stiff as a board". She thought at first that this was caused by her being outside in the cold for four hours on Friday pm, but when she began her practice on Saturday, she fell on her first triple flip, and when she did so, she felt pain. She knew that something was wrong, but she felt she could skate through the discomfort and successfully land a few triples. She fell several more times and cut the practice short.

Last night she felt a great deal of pain in her groin and hip areas, and she consulted one of the US team doctors around 2 am. The doctor confirmed that she had reinjured herself, and he advised her not to compete with the injury.

Michelle said, "I started to make phone calls. I called my parents, who are staying closeby the Olympic village, and I told them I had decided to withdraw."

Michelle said, "I have so much respect for the sport of figure skating, that I knew I could not try to compete unless I could give 100 percent."

Hamilton and Costas were, obviously, very gentle and sympathetic to Michelle, and Scott comforted her in the knowledge that she has been such an icon to the sport, etc.

Michelle said she plans to return to California tomorrow. She said she does not want detract in any way from the women's figure skating competition.

The New York television stations also reported this story, and in doing so, they all noted that Emily Hughes of Great Neck, Long Island, the younger sister of 2002 Olympic gold medalist, Sarah Hughes, would replace Michelle in the Olympic women's figure skating competition. This area is currently being buried with a trememdous blizzard, and all flights to and from New York have been cancelled for the day, so presumably, Emily will fly to Torino tomorrow or Tuesday and start practicing for the competition.

Last night's news featured clips of Michelle struggling in practice, and the possibility of her withdrawing from the competition was discussed. Emily Hughes and her family invited NBC-news into their home for an interview. Emily came across as a bright, articulate, upbeat, and very nice young lady. She said she was looking forward to competing at Worlds, and she hoped that Michelle would recover quickly and be able to compete at the Olympics. She added, "If I am called to replace Michelle, I'm ready to do so. Just point me to where I have to go, ad I'll be there."

I am truly sad and upset for Michelle, who has been such a wonderful, beautiful champion for so many years. Michelle has set a standard of excellence, not just for her skating, but for her graciousness and sportsmanship attitude. She is truly a class act. I wish her all of the best, a quick and full recovery, and I hope she will continue to delight us with her figure skating.

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
My heart aches for Michelle. But I am so proud of her too. What a champion! She could have dragged this out, but she has too much integrity. It's wonderful to have had someone like her representing our country all these years. No one ever did that with more class!