Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

Custom Woman
    Quote Originally Posted by thisthingcalledlove
    I don't think it's the end of an era. She kept her word. Even if the naysayers (which they will) say that she was stupid for having gone to the Olympics anyway, she at least taught the next generation a thing or two:

1. Always listen to your body; a piece of gold-plated silver on a ribbon isn't worth killing your body for.
    2. Always keep your word.

Well done, Michelle.
    Well said and ITA, Thisthingcalledlove. Let's hope the next generation--and many in this generation--get the message.

It's just sad, sad, sad. But of course, Michelle has been a class act through the whole thing, and I mean from when she first sustained the hip injury. Groin pulls are the bane of figure skaters' lives in trying to recover from them. It seems the skate gods stacked the chips against Michelle from the beginning of the season.

I remember two things Kurt Browning said after his performances at the '94 Olympics, the second time he'd gone to the Olys as World Champ and the second time he didn't even medal at the Olys. One was (approximately), "I guess something about the Olympics just doesn't agree with me." The other was, "I need a hug."

I'm very glad Michelle's parents are there to give her lots of hugs. And I'm sure her extended family and close friends who are in Torino will be giving her many hugs until she returns home, where I'm sure the entire figure skating community will embrace her.

I know I don't need to say that Michelle doesn't need the OGM as "proof" of what she has accomplished and may yet still accomplish in figure skating. Look what Kurt Browning did with his skating as a pro? Okay, so maybe he did the clown program one too many times. Seriously, after a couple of rough years, Kurt achieved a whole new level of technical prowess and creativity with his skating as a pro. Or maybe Michelle will continue to compete for years to come, who knows?

In any case, for Michelle:
    (((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

Rgirl

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Elvis Stojko's 2nd Olympic silver medal in 1998 was won while he was suffering with a groin pull. I remember he could hardly walk after skating.

I doubt that was safe or wise. And we have seen how skaters' bodies get beat up. Tara Lipinski is the poster child for that. I think Michelle was wise to listen to her body and to the doctors who told her it wasn't wise or safe to continue at this time.

Well that's the last straw.

Between the NJS (No Judges in Sight) and COP (conformity of performance) and Kwan's withdrawal, I really have very little interest in this olympic competition (I can't scare up much interest in the olympics ever and think it's perverted for the sport ot invest so much in a quattrannial (S?) event.

We'll see if I can work up any interest in worlds (inevitably I like worlds after olympics better than olympics).

Revisied handicapping: It's Slute's to lose, but COP has taken a heavy toll on my interest in her skating as it doesn't penalize stand-still landings or sloppiness enough. Cohen's a good bet for silver but I've never taken to her skating yet, too .... girlish and skittery for me.

Of those remaining, I'll be rooting for Arakawa the most. She's uneven but magnificent when she's on. Unfortunately, COP isn't friendly to her strengths and is far too harsh on her weaknesses (sort of the mirror opposite of Slute).

Can't work up much feeling on the rest of the field yet.

I just hope the champion, whoever she is, does more for the sport than the last three did. It's too visible a competition for the champion to disappear soon after.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    I agree with everything you said Rgirl.

I just feel so heartbroken right now for Michelle. She worked so hard this past year, but it seems nothing could go right for her.
    I didn't come on the boards right away this morning because I thought if I heard one negative thing about her, I would go through the roof. But most folks have been very decent, and for that I am thankful.

My wish for Michelle is that she be given the time and space right now to heal both mentally and physically. And whatever she decides for her future, I can say that I will be there to support her 100%.

What an amazing young woman she is.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/.../kwan3_650.jpg

"Michelle Kwan means more to the United States Olympic Committee and to the United States than any athlete that has ever performed at the Olympics. She has made a gracious decision." -- Peter Ueberroth, chairman of the USOC.

Custom Title
    My heart aches for her right now, but I know with her support system she will be okay. This is a classy young women who has her whole life ahead of her. She kept her word and withdraw because she did not feel 100%. Hopefully the news media will be kind to her, but if not she has her family and fans. Get well Michelle.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/.../kwan3_650.jpg

"Michelle Kwan means more to the United States Olympic Committee and to the United States than any athlete that has ever performed at the Olympics. She has made a gracious decision." -- Peter Ueberroth, chairman of the USOC.
    MM, thanks for posting that quote. I could not have said it better myself.

Custom Title
    I've loved MK since I first saw her skate a decade ago. She is the sole reason for my getting interested in FSing. And she is a class act. BUT marching in the opening ceremonies was just dumb as I said in another post. Long plane ride, walking and sitting in the cold for hours. I have to say I have lost some respect for her for her decision making especially when it comes to the Olympics. I don't mean her decision not to skate. She's got a long life ahead of her and why go around with a compromised body due to pushing it. I mean her decision to do the ceremonies. Doing this I think was on some level a self-destructive act. This is just my opinion so nobody jump all over me for it. I hope to see MK go for a 10th Nationals title next year.
    Last edited by yelyoh; 02-12-2006 at 08:44 AM.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh
    I've loved MK since I first saw her skate a decade ago. She is the sole reason for my getting interested in FSing. And she is a class act. BUT marching in the opening ceremonies was just dumb as I said in another post. Long plane ride, walking and sitting in the cold for hours. I have to say I have lost some respect for her for her decision making especially when it comes to the Olympics. Doing this I think was on some level a self-destructive act. This is just my opinion so nobody jump all over me for it. I hope to see MK go for a 10th Nationals title next year.

Custom Woman
    Quote Originally Posted by nymkfan51
    I agree with everything you said Rgirl.

I just feel so heartbroken right now for Michelle. She worked so hard this past year, but it seems nothing could go right for her.
    I didn't come on the boards right away this morning because I thought if I heard one negative thing about her, I would go through the roof. But most folks have been very decent, and for that I am thankful.

My wish for Michelle is that she be given the time and space right now to heal both mentally and physically. And whatever she decides for her future, I can say that I will be there to support her 100%.

What an amazing young woman she is.
    Thanks, and I agree with everything you said right back, NYMKFAN. Sad that sadness bring people together, re your point about how decent most people have been. Even sadder that Michelle's loss, which she has handled with the absolutely appropriate steps and utmost grace, has also brought out a few trolls. :sheesh:

And thank you Mathman for posting that beautiful quote. What a swell mod you are.

Rgirl

Rinkside
    I've loved MK since I first saw her skate a decade ago. She is the sole reason for my getting interested in FSing. And she is a class act. BUT marching in the opening ceremonies was just dumb as I said in another post. Long plane ride, walking and sitting in the cold for hours. I have to say I have lost some respect for her for her decision making especially when it comes to the Olympics. I don't mean her decision not to skate. She's got a long life ahead of her and why go around with a compromised body due to pushing it. I mean her decision to do the ceremonies. Doing this I think was on some level a self-destructive act. This is just my opinion so nobody jump all over me for it. I hope to see MK go for a 10th Nationals title next year.
    If you really a fan of hers, you would behind her 100% of her decision and not be ungrateful.

unique

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by unique
    If you really a fan of hers, you would behind her 100% of her decision and not be ungrateful.

unique
    Did you read my post? I AM 100% behind her decision to withdraw.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Did you read my post? I AM 100% behind her decision to withdraw.

Yes, unfortunately I did read your post ... and it disgusted me beyond words.

Custom Title
    Well maybe she marched b/c she had a feeling that she wouldn't be able to compete and wanted to enjoy one last time. Marching in the ceremonies didn't cause that injury. She was injured all along and was put on the team in hopes of her recovering in time to compete in the games. I don't care what all the haters said, Michelle didn't produce more in her audition skate than Emily did in her competitive skates at Nats. While I don't think she should have been sent at all, at least she's pulling out in time for Emily to get mentally ready to skate.

Though before everyone jumps on the Michelle is so classy parade, real class would have prompted her not to petition at all. I don't think Michelle for a second expected this kind of scrutiny at the games for her practice sessions nor the public pressure to deliver a medal. Ironically, had she just competed at Nationals and earned her spot, even with a crappy performance, she could have gone to these games in relative peace and been content with just focusing on her skating and delivering the best performance *she* was capable of. By putting her on the team and declaring her a great shot at winning an OGM, the USFS (and Michelle) opened her up to more pressure.

On a side note, Emily was so cute in the local interview. It seems they abruptly cut the interview to make the time limit and the way it was cut, made it sem like Emily was chattering for an hour straight. Stage is getting set for Baby Hughes to pull a surprise at the games.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Soogar...you're just unbelievable...

You're absolutely bitter about any good thing Kwan gets. She's LEAVING the games. Don't you get that...you freakin' won and yet you're still not satisfied because Kwan is getting deserved praise for leaving in time for Emily to skate. Of course why am I surprised. You'd be hating on Kwan until you're old and gray.

Unclassy post I know, but you don't deserve one with all your anti-Kwan spew.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 02-12-2006 at 09:41 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast