Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=VIETgrlTerifa]Soogar...you're just unbelievable...

QUOTE]

but predictable, what else could you expect from Soogar.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    [QUOTE=fscric]
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa
    Soogar...you're just unbelievable...

QUOTE]

but predictable, what else could you expect from Soogar.
    I know. I really hope Soogar finds something else to do after Kwan retires. Who knows what Soogar will do when Kwan retires outside rehashing angry memories from the Tara/Michelle days.

Custom Title
    [quote=VIETgrlTerifa]
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric

I know. I really hope Soogar finds something else to do after Kwan retires. Who knows what Soogar will do when Kwan retires outside rehashing angry memories from the Tara/Michelle days.
    You're just sore b/c I was right all along that the process of putting an injured athlete on the team who has only competed only once under COP was a dumb thing to do.

As for rehashing memories of Tara, I only post on Tara in response to Kwan fans who feel the compulsive need to bash someone who beat their skater a long time ago.

Well, I am sad because I guess we all know how much it meant to her to go to another Olympics, but I am happy that she listen to her body and kept her word, that shows a lot about her character. She has already done a lot for our sport, and that won't change. Wish you the best Michelle!!

Custom Title
    Wow, some people just can't not let Michelle's fans get over her withdrawing. That's so sad. Good luck Michelle.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    [QUOTE=soogar]
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa

You're just sore b/c I was right all along that the process of putting an injured athlete on the team who has only competed only once under COP was a dumb thing to do.

As for rehashing memories of Tara, I only post on Tara in response to Kwan fans who feel the compulsive need to bash someone who beat their skater a long time ago.
    It's not just the process, but it's EVERYTIME you post about Kwan...no matter what the topic is, you're there getting your usual "veiled" insults in.

You've been harping on Kwan every chance you got. Yeah I'm sore, but you can't help to just get your kicks in, all the time. No matter what the topic is, there you are taking the extreme position always against her. And it's not because you're not a Kwan fan because I'm able to have discussions with level-headed people who don't always see Kwan in the best light, but they are able to be fair towards her. You can't seem to show any fairness towards her and always need to put your pot shots in. The fact is you harbor bitter feelings toward Kwan and nothing Kwan does is good for you. And you only pay attention when there is something to complain about. And there are times where you're just reaching.

I can't treat you like a normal poster regarding Kwan. You're a troll and you've always been one.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 02-12-2006 at 10:24 AM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar

It doesn't change that your true colors coming out!! Your true colors coming out! If you don't have any nice bones in your body that you would like to contribute in this thread, you wasting bandwith. Basically your posts regards to MK is always the same crap & on different thread. Its getting old.

unique
    Last edited by unique; 02-12-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Custom Title
    I know a lot of people predicted that Michelle would withdraw before the games and hating her for taking Emily's place but if you watched Michelle all these years you would know that she's a class act. She truly wanted this and IMO earned her place at last years worlds. I think that is what she believed as well. I think most people all along said Michelle and Sasha on the team no matter what. I saw Michelle do a gorgeous triple toe yesterday. Since that jump was that beautiful I truly believe that she was healed and there was no reason not to put her on the team. Since imo she earned her place I have no regrets that Emily didn't get to march in the opening ceremonies. She will get to march in the closing ceremonies. So no big deal.

When you have had a major hip injury the way Michelle did this season it alters your mechanics because no matter what you are self conscious about re-injury. Because of that fact new injury after new injury often happens.

I really thought she was fine after watching the practice video-Just sleepy and achy from the plane and cold. I feel guilty for reassuring everybody including myself. I work with gymnasts and I would have told her she was fine and that makes me hate myself. I actually puked. Poor Michelle.
    Last edited by tarotx; 02-12-2006 at 10:18 AM.

SkateFan4Life

Michelle Kwan Withdraws from the Olympics

Terribly sad news....US skater Michelle Kwan has withdrawn from the Olympic figure skating competition. The 9-time US National Champion, 5-time World Champion, and Olympic silver and bronze medalist announced her withdrawal early this morning (East Coast time).

NBC-television aired an interview with Michelle, Scott Hamilton, and Bob Costas. Michelle was a bit emotional and tearful as she described the events that caused her to make this difficult decision. She had greatly enjoyed attending Friday evening's opening ceremonies, but when she awoke yesterday, she felt "stiff as a board". She thought at first that this was caused by her being outside in the cold for four hours on Friday pm, but when she began her practice on Saturday, she fell on her first triple flip, and when she did so, she felt pain. She knew that something was wrong, but she felt she could skate through the discomfort and successfully land a few triples. She fell several more times and cut the practice short.

Last night she felt a great deal of pain in her groin and hip areas, and she consulted one of the US team doctors around 2 am. The doctor confirmed that she had reinjured herself, and he advised her not to compete with the injury.

Michelle said, "I started to make phone calls. I called my parents, who are staying closeby the Olympic village, and I told them I had decided to withdraw."

Michelle said, "I have so much respect for the sport of figure skating, that I knew I could not try to compete unless I could give 100 percent."

Hamilton and Costas were, obviously, very gentle and sympathetic to Michelle, and Scott comforted her in the knowledge that she has been such an icon to the sport, etc.

Michelle said she plans to return to California tomorrow. She said she does not want detract in any way from the women's figure skating competition.

The New York television stations also reported this story, and in doing so, they all noted that Emily Hughes of Great Neck, Long Island, the younger sister of 2002 Olympic gold medalist, Sarah Hughes, would replace Michelle in the Olympic women's figure skating competition. This area is currently being buried with a trememdous blizzard, and all flights to and from New York have been cancelled for the day, so presumably, Emily will fly to Torino tomorrow or Tuesday and start practicing for the competition.

Last night's news featured clips of Michelle struggling in practice, and the possibility of her withdrawing from the competition was discussed. Emily Hughes and her family invited NBC-news into their home for an interview. Emily came across as a bright, articulate, upbeat, and very nice young lady. She said she was looking forward to competing at Worlds, and she hoped that Michelle would recover quickly and be able to compete at the Olympics. She added, "If I am called to replace Michelle, I'm ready to do so. Just point me to where I have to go, ad I'll be there."

I am truly sad and upset for Michelle, who has been such a wonderful, beautiful champion for so many years. Michelle has set a standard of excellence, not just for her skating, but for her graciousness and sportsmanship attitude. She is truly a class act. I wish her all of the best, a quick and full recovery, and I hope she will continue to delight us with her figure skating.
    Last edited by SkateFan4Life; 02-12-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Custom Title
    My heart aches for Michelle. But I am so proud of her too. What a champion! She could have dragged this out, but she has too much integrity. It's wonderful to have had someone like her representing our country all these years. No one ever did that with more class!

Custom Title
    This is such a bummer. She has given all she can to the sport.

Custom Title
    Not really surprised by this annoucement. After hearing her comments during the press conference yesterday I figured her problems in practice weren't just due to a stiff groin, and I'm relieved that she withdrew in time for Emily to replace her.

Still I feel really sad for her, and I hope that she can fully recover now and come back strong next season!
    Last edited by Enero; 02-12-2006 at 11:10 AM.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
    OH...so sad! I miss seeing this exquisite skater...so hoping her health would remain good and she could have a great Olympics (on a selfish note, I WANT TO SEE THOSE PROGRAMS! Maybe next year when she goes for that 10th title???). I really don't know why there are many who doubt her intentions, I have seen so many Kwan interviews and she has never come across as anything but honest and sincere! Hello...she skated 2 back to back programs for her test skate with very little rest in between. Does that sound like someone hiding an injury? It's a bummer that she has reinjured herself...I am so so sad!!!!

eliza88

SkateFan4Life
    I think that one of the factors causing Michelle to make the "quick" decision to withdraw was the realization that this story (her injury, possible withdrawal, etc) would continue to be big news, at least in the US media, for the duration of the Olympics. She would never be able to escape the media microscope, as long as the spectre of injury and possible withdrawal was on the landscape.

She was really in a terrible situation. Michelle made the decision she had to make, as terrible and heartbreaking as it was for her to do so.

SkateFan4Life
    Absolutely heartbreaking for Michelle. The lady will always be a champ, as far as I'm concerned.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast