Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
nymkfan51 said:
Right ... sort of like John Kerry. ;)

I think you're right. Even though I love him, I think his political career is over. But I can still be a fan, can't I?
:laugh:

millie

Medalist
mzheng said:
Millie, why you are so interesting to know about Rafael, MK's coach? Last I heard non-fans are tired by shuffle MK into their throat.

If I spill out the whole story I heard, cans of worm you are not willing to see anyway.....Last I heard he is still MK's coach.

Mzheng, If the roles were reverse and Sasha or any other skaterwere in Michelle's position, going to the Olympics without a coach, the word on the street would be that they dumped their coach before Olympics. I thought that a skater just geting over an injury and going to the Olympics coachless is mighty strange. You seem to know all the answers. Why didn't she go to a private rink to do her first practice rather than go to the rink with all that media and cameras were? She knew she wasn't feeling well that morning, why didn't she wait until her coach came to tell her what to do? There are a lot of unanswered questions about that situtation. It seems awful strange. People might say that I am being nosy and it's her own personl affairs but it;s not. This all happened in public life not her private life. Curious minds like to know.

Best wishes to Michelle on her recovery.:) :)

I think the main thing for non-fans-of-Kwan is that they really should be happy that she is out of the competition. The continued speculation about her just increases the legend which the non-fans do not want.

IMO, any posts pro or con about Kwan will keep her in the spotlight till the next Olys when she will be commentating for NBC.

I think Rafael should be there for Buttle. Is he?

Joe

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
I think the main thing for non-fans-of-Kwan is that they really should be happy that she is out of the competition. The continued speculation about her just increases the legend which the non-fans do not want.

IMO, any posts pro or con about Kwan will keep her in the spotlight till the next Olys when she will be commentating for NBC.

Joe

According to reports, Rafael is still in transit. He's somewhere between the U.S. and Italy. He probably took off with Camille.::love:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Morganlee said:
It depends a lot on who is viewing the Olympics. This season is not a mess. Once the time wasters got out of the way. We got game folks.

You of all people have decided who is a time waster.... Oh the irony...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Morganlee said:
What the heck does she need a coach for now?

Because she hasn't retired. Which means, Morganlee, that she couldbe back for her 10th National title next year. Remember too that she medaled at the last Olys without a coach :biggrin: . She will probably still be headlining COI..

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Millie I think she had her first practice on OLY ice to get a feel for the rink. She may have planned to go elswhere for further practice and then return before the SP. The tape showing her first practice also showed Kimmie practicing at the same rink and now Kimmie is practicing elsewhere. IIRC Kwan did this at SLC too. If I were a skater I would want to get a feel for the competition rink as soon as possible. Arturian is probably still in visa hell as he wasn't there for Buttle's SP.

mzheng

Record Breaker
millie said:
Mzheng, If the roles were reverse and Sasha or any other skaterwere in Michelle's position, going to the Olympics without a coach, the word on the street would be that they dumped their coach before Olympics. I thought that a skater just geting over an injury and going to the Olympics coachless is mighty strange. You seem to know all the answers. Why didn't she go to a private rink to do her first practice rather than go to the rink with all that media and cameras were? She knew she wasn't feeling well that morning, why didn't she wait until her coach came to tell her what to do? There are a lot of unanswered questions about that situtation. It seems awful strange. People might say that I am being nosy and it's her own personl affairs but it;s not. This all happened in public life not her private life. Curious minds like to know.

Best wishes to Michelle on her recovery.:) :)
OK, milie, you brought up Sasha again. We know she has coach, but she wanted more or her camp wanted more whatever, just leave it at this. I really don't want to rain that "bathtub of water" on your favorate's parada.

RA had visa problem since he held a Russian passport, he needs US visa to re-enter the states and Italy visa into Turino. All members in Kawn Kamp hold US passport except RA, with US passport you don't need visa into Italy....Shep had his US visa done in time by pulling some strings (what strings, should be remain nameless otherwise non-kawn fans will cry out 'unfair' or being super 'jealous') got his US visa done in time. But no one thought about he needs a Italy visa to enter Turino, since no one else needs it, it was a last min finding and had to go a huge circle to get it done. So they (Danny and Rafael) had to leave late than Michelle.....Michelle made decition to withdraw from the Game all by herself alone, she was under tremoundouse pressure. Danny and Raphael heard the news when they were at Paris. Michelle called them. Afterwards Raphael diddn't go to Turino, he diverted to Russia as he planned originally went there after the Game.

So last I heard Raphael is still Kwan's coach. Had Raphael been there with her in first practice, he would have told her just test out the ice don't do any jumps. She was prepared to do last push at Olympics before her leaving, it was just too soon for her to try any jump that day.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe
That's my original thought, too. But obviousely since he got the news at Paris, he diddn't even go to Turino. He diverted to Russia instead, it was his original plan after the game.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
mzheng said:
... Had Raphael been there with her in first practice, he would have told her just test out the ice don't do any jumps. She was prepared to do last push at Olympics before her leaving, it was just too soon for her to try any jump that day.

Maybe it proved to be a blessing in disguise -- can you imagine what would be happening to Michelle if she fell on a jump, got hurt, and had to withdraw, but too late for Emily to fly in? Instead of the tributes to her honor, her graciousness, etc., she would be crucified.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:
Because she hasn't retired. Which means, Morganlee, that she couldbe back for her 10th National title next year. Remember too that she medaled at the last Olys without a coach :biggrin: . She will probably still be headlining COI..

and many "professionals" still use coaches well after they've left olympic eligibility... Kristi Yamaguchi, Kurt Browning, and Brian Boitano come to mind...

not all "Non-fans" wish her harm, Joe... and not all of us deny her legend status...

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
An Opinion of One

Ya know... I'm tired of this discussion about MK's withdrawing from the Olympics...

For us fans of Kwan, we can't even seem to discuss our feelings about this without drama.

Non-fans seem under moral obligation to dismiss Kwan and her contributions to this sport simply because they don't appreciate her skating.

The haters are gleeful she's hurt (or rather not competing at the games, since this seems to be a necessary distinction...)

Its sad. GSF is supposed to be for grown ups with an appreciation for the sport, its stars and future and what we've been reduced to is a bunch of sucky whiny babies ~ and I include myself in that group as well...

"The One Thing I Know For Sure" piece of this debate... Kwan is a legend. It sucks she's not at the games. Its great that Emily gets to compete. Add your favorite over-discussed topic here...

But one thing remains clear: Our reactions, pro vs. con, won't change a damn thing - from her coach, competition, reputation or bank account.

Can't we, as a group, stop the bickering and go back to the skating? Or is that asking too much? Isn't it time to let it go for now and move on?

mzheng

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Maybe it proved to be a blessing in disguise -- can you imagine what would be happening to Michelle if she fell on a jump, got hurt, and had to withdraw, but too late for Emily to fly in? Instead of the tributes to her honor, her graciousness, etc., she would be crucified.
Not sure I agree with this......All she needs just wait out another couple of days to try out the triples(which is required by her last treatment before she leaving. And she is not the first one, won't be the last one to use this trainning procedure, when recovering from injuries). This still leave plenty of time for Emily go there.

With all camaras on her, USIOC, USFSA officials standing there, given how competetive that she being, she was eager to prove. She said she had none to console. She was under tremoundouse pressure to make decition all by her own ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:

millie

Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
Ya know... I'm tired of this discussion about MK's withdrawing from the Olympics...

For us fans of Kwan, we can't even seem to discuss our feelings about this without drama.

Non-fans seem under moral obligation to dismiss Kwan and her contributions to this sport simply because they don't appreciate her skating.

The haters are gleeful she's hurt (or rather not competing at the games, since this seems to be a necessary distinction...)

Its sad. GSF is supposed to be for grown ups with an appreciation for the sport, its stars and future and what we've been reduced to is a bunch of sucky whiny babies ~ and I include myself in that group as well...

"The One Thing I Know For Sure" piece of this debate... Kwan is a legend. It sucks she's not at the games. Its great that Emily gets to compete. Add your favorite over-discussed topic here...

But one thing remains clear: Our reactions, pro vs. con, won't change a damn thing - from her coach, competition, reputation or bank account.

Can't we, as a group, stop the bickering and go back to the skating? Or is that asking too much? Isn't it time to let it go for now and move on?

Ditto, same goes for all the other skaters. I can do it, I wonder can everybody else do it. You may say this now but what will happen with the other threads about other skaters. Will the Kwan fans let up on other skaters? I agree, Michelle is gone, let her heal in peace and let the other skaters do their thing:) :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
millie said:
Ditto, same goes for all the other skaters. I can do it, I wonder can everybody else do it. You may say this now but what will happen with the other threads about other skaters. Will the Kwan fans let up on other skaters? I agree, Michelle is gone, let her heal in peace and let the other skaters do their thing:) :)
So you are in peace now that you know no s**t will come out from Kamp Kwan? or maybe instead afraid some might leak out form Camp Cohen? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
millie said:

Millie, you know I love you but this is what I'm talking about...

Kwan fans, Sasha fans, Insert-a-Name fans... Its all so silly. Can't we just stop ripping on Kwan, how other skaters are reacting to Kwan and move on... For example? Where the hell is Irina and DivaKwara??? This is Olympic season and we can't even chat about that without harping on stuff from last week? If I wanted to only chat about Michelle or Sasha, I'd go to their boards ~ well, actually I'm banned from Sasha's but whatever... I'm just tired of rehashing, second guessing, invited drama and posters feeling under attack. Let's chat about figure skating for a change.

Oh my goodness... I'm so over dramatic... :boohoo:

millie

Medalist
mzheng said:
So you are in peace now that you know no shit will come out from Kamp Kwan? or maybe instead afraid some might leak out form Camp Cohen? :cool:

See, you broke the pact already. I thought that there would be no more ranting and raving. What you should do is go and drink some green tea and try to calm down or munch on your Jr. mints and chicken and enjoy the rest of the Olympics.
Over and out.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
millie said:
See, you broke the pact already. I thought that there would be no more ranting and raving. What you should do is go and drink some green tea and try to calm down or munch on your Jr. mints and chicken and enjoy the rest of the Olympics.
Over and out.

:banging: :banging: :banging: :banging:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
So you are in peace now that you know no shit will come out from Kamp Kwan? or maybe instead afraid some might leak out form Camp Cohen? :cool:

Michelle, I feel so bad for you. I believe you worked hard for the last 4 years to make your Oly dream come true. I can't imagine how devestating it must be, in the final moments, to deal with a willing mind, but an unwilling body. This must be emotionally devastating. You have a bright future with many paths to choose from. Best wishes to you in whatever path you choose.

Sasha, best wishes to you. I am sorry the press seems more interested in your thoughts on Michelle than your own 4 year drive for this Olympic competition. I think you have handled yourself well, and I know you will give your best representing the USA in this Olympics.

Mzheng, may you find within yourself the grace and class that Michelle has always displayed, no matter what her circumstances.

DG