contestants | Golden Skate

contestants

chrissy51

Rinkside
Can anyone tell me how do the Olympic committee decide how many contestants are entered from a country for singles, pairs and dance.

sloopie

Spectator
Sylvia said:
Feel free to post any further questions here.
Um, does that go for everyone? I have a "little" question that doesn't really need its own thread, especially when things are busy...

Has there been some change to the music requirement for singles? I know dancers can use vocals, but I always thought they were strictly verboten for singles/pairs. There was a minor fuss when Katarina Witt hummed to "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" at her Olympic return (though it was overshadowed by the Robin Hood pants), and I seem to recall there was mention of Titanic squeaking through because the voice was used as an instrumental (in fact, most people think it was an instrument).

But tonight I've heard 2 vocals - one used by Jeffrey Buttle, which was scat singing and thus could be considered voice-as-instrument, but then there was an operatic chorus, which.... is vocal, even if it is in Italian and from opera (wait, this is Italy, this is everyday music to them....)

Has there been a change, or do judges just not care about that sort of thing any more? Or is the deduction, if any, so trivial that it doesn't matter?

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
In an "Absolutely Skating" interview with Jeff Buttle he says that he had to get his music approved because of the scat vocals in it. Apparently, it must have been approved.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I hear voices.....

sloopie said:
But tonight I've heard 2 vocals - one used by Jeffrey Buttle, which was scat singing and thus could be considered voice-as-instrument, but then there was an operatic chorus, which.... is vocal, even if it is in Italian and from opera (wait, this is Italy, this is everyday music to them....)

Has there been a change, or do judges just not care about that sort of thing any more? Or is the deduction, if any, so trivial that it doesn't matter?
Regarding Jeffrey Buttle's Sing Sing Sing by Louis Prima: Since the vocalist is scatting and not singing actual lyrics, his music is allowed. A few seasons ago, Maria Butyrskaya skated to Sarah Brightman's 'Scene D'Amour' which featured her voice as another instrument and not singing words.

Regarding Frederic Dambier's use of Carmina Burana/O Fortuna: I'll have to look for the rule, but his music is allowed because the lyrics are in Latin and the language is 'dead', or not spoken by lots of people. Todd Eldredge also used this music in the Olympics 4 years ago.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)