misc PAIRS grumblings | Page 3 | Golden Skate

misc PAIRS grumblings

Mafke

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Perhaps Ms. Zhang exagerrated her injury somewhat to gain some pity marks too.

Maybe she's mean to kittens too. Or maybe you should stop taking those gullible pills. A couple of people have watched the televised warm up and saw no evidence of Z/Z bulldogging T/M.

enlight78

Medalist
soogar said:
My thoughts on pairs:
Pang and Tong did the most impossible, impressive technical feat of the Chinese pairs: PERFECT side by side spins with numerous changes of postion. WOW. As far as I am concerned , that is more impressive than any of those big throws and twists b.c the Chinese pairs have no clue how to stay in unison on spins. I'm not technic for pairs, but I thought their performance should have been good enough for a medal.
The judges and I agree
T&M
Spiral Step Sequence 4 3.97
Fly. Change Foot Comb. Spin 3 3.64

P&T
Spiral Step Sequence 4 4.11
Fly.Change Foot Comb. Spin 4 3.79
:clap:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
rain said:
Yes I wondered about this as well. I think it looks awful, but besides that the man is not in the pivot position required in the death spiral, so I can only imagine it counts as some kind of entrance/exit, though I could be wrong.

My other complaint about the death spirals - the shoot the duck position the ladies were hitting before going down. It is neither pretty nor elegant, only ungainly. It should be a deduction, not something that gets extra points, IMO.

I thought the death spirals in general were poor at this competition. Many of the ladies seemed incapable of getting low enough to the ice. Remedial training seems in order.
ITA on all three counts.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
am generally in favor of COP, while recognizing that the system can be improved, and hopefully will be improved over time. I feel very sorry for the hard fall that the Zhangs took (her, of course) and admire her inner strength that kept her going. BUT...I think there is something wrong with a system (or the way it's being implemented especially on the PCS side) where a program can be disrupted to THAT degree, and still be a medal winning program over other decent skates. I am also thinking about the situation from 4CC involving a hard fall from Oda, where he somehow managed to finish the program and hit the tech elements, but (understandably) took long pauses during the program where he seemed dazed (and probably was dazed).

ITA with what you are saying.

It seems there is a rule that states a competitor has two minutes to resume skating after an injury stoppage. Zhang took 4 minutes. A quote in the paper from coach Oleg Vasilev said "they broke the rules". However the ISU disagreed saying indeed skaters have two minutes to resume skating.....but the two minutes starts only after the event referee determines the skaters can continue. So conceibably the referee could wait a few minutes or a few hours or perhaps a day or two to decide that the competitors can continue, then the two minutes start counting down.

soogar

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
ITA with what you are saying.

It seems there is a rule that states a competitor has two minutes to resume skating after an injury stoppage. Zhang took 4 minutes. A quote in the paper from coach Oleg Vasilev said "they broke the rules". However the ISU disagreed saying indeed skaters have two minutes to resume skating.....but the two minutes starts only after the event referee determines the skaters can continue. So conceibably the referee could wait a few minutes or a few hours or perhaps a day or two to decide that the competitors can continue, then the two minutes start counting down.

I don't think that the Zhangs should have been allowed to resume from the point of the fall. That kind of fall, had she gotten up from it and resumed skating would have taken a chunk of their program out. No way would they have been able to regroup in time to hit all the other elements in their program. The only pair who was robbed was Pang and Tong, but I feel bad for them because P&T were the only Chinese pairs team who demonstrated decent pairs moves (SBS spins, death spiral, arabesque). Then again I am no teknik so can't tell you anything about lifts.

Antilles

Medalist
I agree with most here that while T&M deserved to win, they weren't the most exciting gold medalists. I also agree that Z&Z have no business being in second place.

I think pairs is just going through one of its down periods. I remember it seeming pretty bleak between 94 and 98. I remember an even less inspiring Russian pair, Eltsova and...his name escapes me...starts with a B? They won at least one, maybe two Wolrd titles. After a while, B&S, S&P and S&Z came around. I'm sure pairs will improve again.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
One gripe i have with the pairs is how many pairs had lost unison! It wasn't just the Chinese. Is this a side effect of the COP? I don't remember so many pairs losing their unison on the SBS spins...

The only one I remember in SLC having made that mistake was S/Z...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Due to COP, the pairs are doing much harder spins than they used to, with more changes of edges, leg, and position. It's harder to synchronize. Even pairs that generally have no problems with their spins had a problem or 2 last night, probably due to Olympic nerves :rock: to Pang and Tong who did the best SBS spins ever for a Chinese pair!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Antilles said:
I think pairs is just going through one of its down periods. I remember it seeming pretty bleak between 94 and 98. I remember an even less inspiring Russian pair, Eltsova and...his name escapes me...starts with a B? They won at least one, maybe two Wolrd titles. After a while, B&S, S&P and S&Z came around. I'm sure pairs will improve again.
You're thinking of Eltsova & Bushkov, who trained under Moskivin, Tamara Moskvinna's husband, then switching Pavlova, who has trained Totmianina & Marinin prior to their switching to Vasiliev, as well as Berezhnaja prior to her teaming up with Sikhuralidze. They did indeed win Worlds in 1996, but I would equate that to Petrova & Tikhonov's World medal.

Mafke

Medalist
Ptichka said:
You're thinking of Eltsova & Bushkov ... They did indeed win Worlds in 1996, but I would equate that to Petrova & Tikhonov's World medal.

I wouldn't, I've actually enjoyed a lot of P/T's skating (even in their retro 'sovietesque' period) but I found the Zamboni machine more entertaining than E/B

Vash01

Medalist
Antilles said:
I agree with most here that while T&M deserved to win, they weren't the most exciting gold medalists. I also agree that Z&Z have no business being in second place.

Yeltsova & Bushkov were world champions in 1996. They had to settle for the silver in 1997 when the gold was given to Woetzel and Steyer, inspite of them having problems on both throws. Y&B had some nice things- she had wonderful rotations in the air. They were quite pleasing to watch, but certainly not at the same caliber of the great Russian pairs of the past. It was a down period in pairs. G&G only skated in the 94 Olympics. Sergei Grinkov died in 1995. Around the same time M&D split. K&D had just paired up and were going through growing pains. Meno & Sand just could not get it done under pressure, so there were different world champs every year (93-B&E, 94 S&N, 85-K&N, 96 Y&B, 97 W&S). In 1998 B&S established themselves as a great talent. S&Z, though very raw, emerged as a pair of the future. K&D had developed enough to win the OGM.

Right now Russia is certainly going through a down period but T&M totally belong among the great Russian pairs. They have great basics, extensions, and they express themselves through their body lines. However, now that they are retiring and Pet-Tik are also retiring, there is no one to carry the torch. I have doubts about O&S despite their talent. Russia has been a leader in pairs skating for so long that it is going to feel strange. The Chinese pairs brought athleticism and excitement but they are taking away the finesse, the solid foundation, and the beauty of pairs skating. So I think for the next few years we will see a down period in pairs skating. Some new pairs may emerge, but they are likely to be from other countries - Canada and USA are very likely candidates.

Vash

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
i also have to agree with the fact that pang & tong were robbed. i thought their fp was phenomenal (despite a few minor mistakes) and their musicality was excellent... they also had one awesome sbs spin. even though zhang & zhang's podium placement is a bit questionable, my hat is off to them for going for the quad sal throw. anyone with the courage to get thrown across the ice, rotate four times, and land on foot gets a standing ovation in my book, and it's not like it was something "insane" for them to do... they had a 40% success rate with the move and were landing it in practice. so bravo to them for trying something new.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
What's with this new death spiral position where the man deliberately turns away from his partner and looks off into the distance. Is this some kind of "change of position" that gets you an extra tenth of a point in the NJS.?

Yep exactly - its a change in pivot position...the traditional death spiral pivot for the man is the back pivot and they switch to front pivot for difficulty.

I think its the ugliest because the men don't keep the line they end up breaking a the waist and sticking their bum's out...ugly ugly ugly....but such is the way with CoP, its seems the uglier the position, the more difficulty you rack up.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
I did not see that, but that is terrable. Perhaps Ms. Zhang exagerrated her injury somewhat to gain some pity marks too.

Are you for real???? Did you watch the fall and countless agonising slow mo replays? You really do have some vile opinions.

Ant

in line with DG's questioning the length of time for Z&Z to continue has come up from several of my friends who happen to be casual fans.

I hd trouble answering it with the referee's ok. Can anyone explain this?

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
dlkksk8fan said:
So conceibably the referee could wait a few minutes or a few hours or perhaps a day or two to decide that the competitors can continue, then the two minutes start counting down.
:laugh: :laugh: It did seem like a long time.

Dee

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
in line with DG's questioning the length of time for Z&Z to continue has come up from several of my friends who happen to be casual fans.

I hd trouble answering it with the referee's ok. Can anyone explain this?

Joe

Joe i don't have the rules to hand but someone who is very well read quoted from the rule book to me that there is one rule about being allowed 2 mins because of a disruption pertaining to something like a lace breaking or coming loose or a piece of costume coming off, there's another about the referees whistle being blown (which is was in the case of Z&Z) in case of medical conerns/attention, once the referree is satisfied that the correct action has been taken, and the skaters decide to continue, they then have two minutes to get themselve together to pick up their program from where the referee blew the whistle.

Ant

Mafke

Medalist
antmanb said:
there's another about the referees whistle being blown (which is was in the case of Z&Z) in case of medical conerns/attention, once the referree is satisfied that the correct action has been taken, and the skaters decide to continue, they then have two minutes to get themselve together to pick up their program from where the referee blew the whistle.
Ant

I don't follow this, they have to consult with the referee or whoever and decide whether or not to continue and get themselves together within 2 minutes?

Or does the referee blow the whistle, get the situation sorted out, and then blow it again at which point they have two minutes (that would make more sense, but being the ISU I realize making sense isn't a priority).

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mafke said:
I don't follow this, they have to consult with the referee or whoever and decide whether or not to continue and get themselves together within 2 minutes?

Or does the referee blow the whistle, get the situation sorted out, and then blow it again at which point they have two minutes (that would make more sense, but being the ISU I realize making sense isn't a priority).

Sorry - the referee blows the whistel to being teh progrm to an end and mark where in the music the skaters "finished". They then get medical attention/consultation. Once the referee is satisfied that the thing is sorted he then times two minutes and the music goes back on and the skaters pick up from where they left off.

Effectively the time allowed to be paused is as long as it takes plus two minutes.

Ant