Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 77

Thread: misc PAIRS grumblings

  1. #46
    Gliding Along dlkksk8fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,685
    The only pair who was robbed was Pang and Tong
    I have to agree with you on this one.

  2. #47
    Rogue Leader
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,525
    I agree with most here that while T&M deserved to win, they weren't the most exciting gold medalists. I also agree that Z&Z have no business being in second place.

    I think pairs is just going through one of its down periods. I remember it seeming pretty bleak between 94 and 98. I remember an even less inspiring Russian pair, Eltsova and...his name escapes me...starts with a B? They won at least one, maybe two Wolrd titles. After a while, B&S, S&P and S&Z came around. I'm sure pairs will improve again.

  3. #48
    http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scripps Ranch- A suburb of San Diego
    Posts
    817
    One gripe i have with the pairs is how many pairs had lost unison! It wasn't just the Chinese. Is this a side effect of the COP? I don't remember so many pairs losing their unison on the SBS spins...

    The only one I remember in SLC having made that mistake was S/Z...

  4. #49
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    17,104
    Due to COP, the pairs are doing much harder spins than they used to, with more changes of edges, leg, and position. It's harder to synchronize. Even pairs that generally have no problems with their spins had a problem or 2 last night, probably due to Olympic nerves to Pang and Tong who did the best SBS spins ever for a Chinese pair!

  5. #50
    Forum translator Ptichka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilles
    I think pairs is just going through one of its down periods. I remember it seeming pretty bleak between 94 and 98. I remember an even less inspiring Russian pair, Eltsova and...his name escapes me...starts with a B? They won at least one, maybe two Wolrd titles. After a while, B&S, S&P and S&Z came around. I'm sure pairs will improve again.
    You're thinking of Eltsova & Bushkov, who trained under Moskivin, Tamara Moskvinna's husband, then switching Pavlova, who has trained Totmianina & Marinin prior to their switching to Vasiliev, as well as Berezhnaja prior to her teaming up with Sikhuralidze. They did indeed win Worlds in 1996, but I would equate that to Petrova & Tikhonov's World medal.

  6. #51
    Gadfly and Bon Vivant Mafke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    You're thinking of Eltsova & Bushkov ... They did indeed win Worlds in 1996, but I would equate that to Petrova & Tikhonov's World medal.
    I wouldn't, I've actually enjoyed a lot of P/T's skating (even in their retro 'sovietesque' period) but I found the Zamboni machine more entertaining than E/B

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilles
    I agree with most here that while T&M deserved to win, they weren't the most exciting gold medalists. I also agree that Z&Z have no business being in second place.

    I think pairs is just going through one of its down periods. I remember it seeming pretty bleak between 94 and 98. I remember an even less inspiring Russian pair, Eltsova and...his name escapes me...starts with a B? They won at least one, maybe two Wolrd titles. After a while, B&S, S&P and S&Z came around. I'm sure pairs will improve again.
    Yeltsova & Bushkov were world champions in 1996. They had to settle for the silver in 1997 when the gold was given to Woetzel and Steyer, inspite of them having problems on both throws. Y&B had some nice things- she had wonderful rotations in the air. They were quite pleasing to watch, but certainly not at the same caliber of the great Russian pairs of the past. It was a down period in pairs. G&G only skated in the 94 Olympics. Sergei Grinkov died in 1995. Around the same time M&D split. K&D had just paired up and were going through growing pains. Meno & Sand just could not get it done under pressure, so there were different world champs every year (93-B&E, 94 S&N, 85-K&N, 96 Y&B, 97 W&S). In 1998 B&S established themselves as a great talent. S&Z, though very raw, emerged as a pair of the future. K&D had developed enough to win the OGM.

    Right now Russia is certainly going through a down period but T&M totally belong among the great Russian pairs. They have great basics, extensions, and they express themselves through their body lines. However, now that they are retiring and Pet-Tik are also retiring, there is no one to carry the torch. I have doubts about O&S despite their talent. Russia has been a leader in pairs skating for so long that it is going to feel strange. The Chinese pairs brought athleticism and excitement but they are taking away the finesse, the solid foundation, and the beauty of pairs skating. So I think for the next few years we will see a down period in pairs skating. Some new pairs may emerge, but they are likely to be from other countries - Canada and USA are very likely candidates.

    Vash

  8. #53
    it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC; Tokyo
    Posts
    495
    i also have to agree with the fact that pang & tong were robbed. i thought their fp was phenomenal (despite a few minor mistakes) and their musicality was excellent... they also had one awesome sbs spin. even though zhang & zhang's podium placement is a bit questionable, my hat is off to them for going for the quad sal throw. anyone with the courage to get thrown across the ice, rotate four times, and land on foot gets a standing ovation in my book, and it's not like it was something "insane" for them to do... they had a 40% success rate with the move and were landing it in practice. so bravo to them for trying something new.

  9. #54
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    What's with this new death spiral position where the man deliberately turns away from his partner and looks off into the distance. Is this some kind of "change of position" that gets you an extra tenth of a point in the NJS.?
    Yep exactly - its a change in pivot position...the traditional death spiral pivot for the man is the back pivot and they switch to front pivot for difficulty.

    I think its the ugliest because the men don't keep the line they end up breaking a the waist and sticking their bum's out...ugly ugly ugly....but such is the way with CoP, its seems the uglier the position, the more difficulty you rack up.

    Ant

  10. #55
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    I did not see that, but that is terrable. Perhaps Ms. Zhang exagerrated her injury somewhat to gain some pity marks too.
    Are you for real???? Did you watch the fall and countless agonising slow mo replays? You really do have some vile opinions.

    Ant

  11. #56
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    in line with DG's questioning the length of time for Z&Z to continue has come up from several of my friends who happen to be casual fans.

    I hd trouble answering it with the referee's ok. Can anyone explain this?

    Joe

  12. #57
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,716
    Quote Originally Posted by dlkksk8fan
    So conceibably the referee could wait a few minutes or a few hours or perhaps a day or two to decide that the competitors can continue, then the two minutes start counting down.
    It did seem like a long time.

    Dee

  13. #58
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    in line with DG's questioning the length of time for Z&Z to continue has come up from several of my friends who happen to be casual fans.

    I hd trouble answering it with the referee's ok. Can anyone explain this?

    Joe
    Joe i don't have the rules to hand but someone who is very well read quoted from the rule book to me that there is one rule about being allowed 2 mins because of a disruption pertaining to something like a lace breaking or coming loose or a piece of costume coming off, there's another about the referees whistle being blown (which is was in the case of Z&Z) in case of medical conerns/attention, once the referree is satisfied that the correct action has been taken, and the skaters decide to continue, they then have two minutes to get themselve together to pick up their program from where the referee blew the whistle.

    Ant

  14. #59
    Gadfly and Bon Vivant Mafke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,402
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    there's another about the referees whistle being blown (which is was in the case of Z&Z) in case of medical conerns/attention, once the referree is satisfied that the correct action has been taken, and the skaters decide to continue, they then have two minutes to get themselve together to pick up their program from where the referee blew the whistle.
    Ant
    I don't follow this, they have to consult with the referee or whoever and decide whether or not to continue and get themselves together within 2 minutes?

    Or does the referee blow the whistle, get the situation sorted out, and then blow it again at which point they have two minutes (that would make more sense, but being the ISU I realize making sense isn't a priority).

  15. #60
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke
    I don't follow this, they have to consult with the referee or whoever and decide whether or not to continue and get themselves together within 2 minutes?

    Or does the referee blow the whistle, get the situation sorted out, and then blow it again at which point they have two minutes (that would make more sense, but being the ISU I realize making sense isn't a priority).
    Sorry - the referee blows the whistel to being teh progrm to an end and mark where in the music the skaters "finished". They then get medical attention/consultation. Once the referee is satisfied that the thing is sorted he then times two minutes and the music goes back on and the skaters pick up from where they left off.

    Effectively the time allowed to be paused is as long as it takes plus two minutes.

    Ant

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •