T&M appreciation thread | Golden Skate

T&M appreciation thread

lulu

Final Flight
After watching T&M's sublime "Romeo & Juliet" routine, I thought that they deserved an appreciation thread-since quite frankly, they seem to get little of that.

After first seeing them skate 4 years ago, I didn't think much of them, however seeing them skate in Torino, there is so much to be impressed about: their line, stroking, unision, and overall quality of their skating. Not to take anything away from any other pair, (especially the Petikhs-who are my absolute favorite eligible pair team :rock: ) but T&M were THE absolute class of the field last night.

In the past I have compared them unfavorably to G&G, M&D, B&S-who are IMHO, THE Holy Trinity of Pairs skaters :rock: , and I know a lot of other posters have complained that TT&MM don't compare to the previous Russian champions, but they shouldn't have too. TT&MM are a great pair, and just because I don't think that they are in the same league as G&G, M&D, B&S, doesn't mean that TT&MM aren't a wonderful pair in their own right.
I'm sure coming from the Russian Pairs Dynasty certainly has many advantages, but I also some disadvantages as well, as fans are always expecting you to live up to such high quality standards.
T&M should be very proud of themselves-they rose to to the challenge, and quite frankly, impressed me much more than I thought they would.

It is great to see any skater make such improvements over the years, and it is especially impressive to see T&M, after their fall (don't think we can have a T&M thread without mentioning that-huh ;) ) Tatiana's health problems and more.
I know that TT&MM have been criticized as being "unemotional" or "cold", but I also think they have tons of guts & fortitude.

so :clap: to TT&MM!

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Great thread, Lulu!

Three cheers for Totmianina/Marinin!!!

I tend to agree with the Eurosport announcers, Chris & Simon. After TT/MM's freeskate yesterday, they called TT/MM "perhaps the finest Olympics gold medalists ever!" I AGREE! POWER AND ART, perfectly blended into one. God bless these marvelous champions.

Shanti

On the Ice
Lulu, thanks for this thread! :rock:

They are my all-time favourite pair and no doubt a great pair.

Whenever I see them I'm captivated by their unique grace and and sheer serene beauty. Watching them skating gives rare moments of seeing pure perfection.

And I can only :clap: and admire their courage and devotion to the sport and each other.

Congratulations Tanya and Max!

I'm sad they're retiring from competitive sport but I hope to see them in shows and I wish them successful professional career.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Thank you for starting this thread! I, too, think they are a wonderful team; their improvement over the last 4 years mindboggling. Congrats to them on winning a well deserved OGM!

As to comparing them to champions of yesteryear... why? If I had to, though, I'd put them on the same scale as Sale & Pelletier.

Ninjagirl

Rinkside
WOW - this is a GREAT thread!! Tanya and Max did the performances of their lives during the Olympics and then, of course, you deserve to win!!

Everything was so beautiful - they practically fly across the ice!! I'm going to miss them so much. But I'm SO happy that this was the way they will end their competetive careers.

Spirit

On the Ice
I'll join in and give T&M the props they deserve. They were clearly the gold medalists.

However...best ever? I find that a real stretch.

But kudos to them. They deserved the gold.

lulu

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
Thank you for starting this thread! I, too, think they are a wonderful team; their improvement over the last 4 years mindboggling. Congrats to them on winning a well deserved OGM!

As to comparing them to champions of yesteryear... why? If I had to, though, I'd put them on the same scale as Sale & Pelletier.

I don't think you should compare them to the previous OGM. In fact, that was the point I was trying to make.

Your're welcome-glad to start this thread.

zeytin

Rinkside
they were the best pair after SLC and they got what they deserved. i also find them so emotional and artistic. they are like flying on the ice...
it was such a great moment when maxim kissed tatiana's hands at the end of the program!!!
congratulations to this great team!!!!
i'll miss watching them competing!
zeytin

firewall

Match Penalty
zey

thanks God, they're retiring. I won't need to watch their dreadful but precise performance anymore. Congratulations on their retirement.

firewall

Match Penalty
zey

Best after SLC? your bias is just beyond laughable. Did you watch Shen/Zhao's 2003, 2004 exquisite performance at worlds? unmatachable.

Shanti

On the Ice
firewall, apparently you have some major problems with reading comprehension.

Do you understand the title of the thread ""T&M appreciation thread"?
Do you really think your comments are appropriate here?

soogar

Record Breaker
I've never been into T&M, but I appreciate them even more after these Games than ever before. They are not a naturally gifted team and are not flashy like the Chinese, but they are quality through and through. Even though Tatiana seems cold and nervous, she is a tough person beneath the surface and fought hard for two clean as a whistle performances that the only criticism that they can draw from Biased Bezic was that they were cautious. They were cautious and clean and no other pair stepped up to the plate to beat them.

It's also nice to see a pairs team progress through time and actually get better as the years go on.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Congrats to T&M!

IMO, they clearly deserved their Oly Gold. I fell in love with them during their Ave Maria program - was that last year or the year before? In any case, they have proven themselves to be Olympic Champions.

DG

ToePick

Rinkside
I'll join. :biggrin:

T&M, quite simply, did what no one else did last night (and what very few have done since SLC) - put together clean, difficult and artistic programs (short and long!). :love: I'll be the first to jump on the how much they've improved bandwagon and was very happy to see them win last night. :agree:

zeytin

Rinkside
firewall said:
Best after SLC? your bias is just beyond laughable. Did you watch Shen/Zhao's 2003, 2004 exquisite performance at worlds? unmatachable.

i agree with S/Z 's 2003 worlds performance. it was one of the best pair performance i've ever watched. but except this, IMO TT/MM was the best after SLC. i even don't remember them falling in any competition. they were so consistent. and not only jumps i like their skating style.
these are my opinions and you don't have to be agree but please respect it! and respect what this pair did last night!

zeytin

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
zeytin please don't feed the trolls

there are not here to respect anybody's opinions, or to adhere to the forum's guidelines.

I will join the appreciation thread! Congratulations Tanya and Max. Way to go!

John King

Final Flight
What's Russian for "I like what I see"?

I'll join in with my support for these two.I'm glad TT & MM won the Olympics,and I'm sorry that they made it clear they will not be attending the 2006 Worlds in my backyard,literally (the Pengrowth Saddledome Stadium is about 7 blocks away from where I live).Plus,Tatiana looks so WOW in that tight blue catsuit for their short program,I can almost hear her voice saying "Resistance is futile".:love:

Spirit

On the Ice
John King said:
Tatiana looks so WOW in that tight blue catsuit for their short program,I can almost hear her voice saying "Resistance is futile".:love:

That's it!!! :rofl:

emma

Record Breaker
Absolutely great idea for a thread, THANKS! And yes, a heart felt congratulations to the Olympic gold medalists, and YES totally, they not only were a class a part in this field, but truly have come such a long way. All the deserved critiques notwithstanding, the control, beautiful lines, skill and competitive spirit truly moved me.