Men's short on Eurosport now! | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Men's short on Eurosport now!

Justafan

On the Ice
I love to watch Plushenko skate but I really did not care for his staccato footwork sequence tonight. Usually I think it's awesome, but it just seemed weird to me..too frenetic or something. His hands looked like he was going to karate chop something. Obviously the judges loved it.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
I personaly predict Lambiel and Joubert to both pass by Weir. He skated beautifully today, but Lambiel and Joubert are likely to skate better in the long than they did today, and Weir is unlikely to even do a clean long. Even if he tries a quad the other two will pass him by.
It is entirely possible that Lambiel might pass Johnny, but I doubt Joubert will. I have seen nothing from Joubert this season and certainly not at 2005 Worlds to suggest that will happen. In Moscow, Johnny was skating with an injury and still beat him.

I feel bad for my favorite skater, Jeff B. ... but at least he is in the final flight. I still think it's a great program.

Last edited:

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Justafan said:
I love to watch Plushenko skate but I really did not care for his staccato footwork sequence tonight. Usually I think it's awesome, but it just seemed weird to me..too frenetic or something. His hands looked like he was going to karate chop something. Obviously the judges loved it.

I am glad I am not alone! At least you were a little kinder than I by calling it "frenetic". The word that came to my mind was "spasmodic"! To me it totally didn't fit the music. I wasn't crazy about the program in general to be honest. Not much going on before he got his jumps out of the way IMO. I was also not crazy about his spins. Maybe it's because I have watched Jeff Buttle a zillion times in the last few years. LOL! From the sounds of me you would think that Plushy was way back in the pack huh? Good job I'm not a judge I guess! At least I have the consolation of knowing that Kurt isn't really that big of a fan either.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I think we should really pray that Plushenko is absolutely brilliant in the LP. I keep thinking, if Plushenko falters and everyone else does very well, but can't catch him, it's going to look so bad!

GO Plushenko !!!

BTW, am I the only one who missed Yagudin? There just wasn't a match for Winter.

Last edited:

SunshineSlayer

Rinkside
As much as I love Plushy(he is one of my fave male skaters), I did not like his choreography at all. His presentation works great with stuff like Carmen, but this was just....It's like the music was playing, but he was skating to a completely different song in his head. He deserved to have the highest tech score, but if I were a judge, I could never justify giving him that high of a program components score. In that regard, Johnny should have had the highest mark - still in second overall, but the highest presentation mark.

Mafke

Medalist
nb. very slight editing to quote

SusanBeth said:
1. if Plushenko falters and everyone else does very well, but can't catch him, it's going to look so bad!
2. am I the only one who missed Yagudin? There just wasn't a match for Winter.

1. Too late, it already looks so bad. Is this the worst oly mens sp ever? I completely missed the Lillehammer SP's were they this ... uninspired?

2. No, you're not. I wouldn't be surprised if Plushenko even misses him by this stage. He's always seemed to relish big challenges, but winning now is going to be about as big a challenge as shooting fish in a barrel.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
Matt Savoie is a beautiful, beautiful man. I liked his program the best.

MM :)

I'm with you on that, Mathman! I hope Matt skates wonderfully tomorrow night. Ditto for Jeff Buttle.

FauveNik

Rinkside
Personally almost every program after plushenko was a bore! And im not his biggest fan. I think that if Stephane can keep it together he just might pull ahead of Jonny. I surly hope that the LP is much more interesting to watch, I actuallly fall asleep on the end!!(heard i did not miss anything though) :laugh:
Fauve

alina

Rinkside
The men sp was a disaster wasn´t it? The highlight of the evening was Plushenko who deserved every point the judges gave to him. Weir did a good job - I hope he will finally show a quad in the lp.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope that Takahashi will succeed in freeskate. He showed in short programme that he has a lot competitive drive, went strongly forward after having a mistake. WOW, what a great interpretation he did!!! Takahashi suffered a little bit because he was the first to skate, and now in freeskate he will be the last to skate, LOL.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I liked the Men's SP. It was great to see...what?...14-16 skaters. Re: Plush, I think it is ridiculous that his sit spin was given a level 3 and one of Johnny's a Level 3 and Joubert's Circ FW a level 3. Come on Viktor P, get it right. And I agree with others about Plush choreography. Arms a flailing does not good choreo make. But he did deserve to be placed first. But some of the PCS scores oy!!!!!!

Johnny was fine. I think his tripleX was better than Plush's. Matt was beautiful and how Evan wound up so close to him with a fall on the 3X and a double on the final triple not to mention the PCS side of things is beyond me. I thought Matt even outskated Jeff (whom I like more than Evan) and should be in the final flight. Yes I know Matt screwed up his final jump but still...final flight.

Lambiel was very good and I would be surprised if he did not surpass JW after the LP. I think JW has a good shot a bronze is he skates mistake free. Any mistake from him and a clean skate by Joubert will keep JW off the podium. I like the improvement in BJ's spins but did not like his choreopgraphy tho that's just a matter of personal taste. Takahashi is sooooo dramatic but it works for him. Samurai Skater ready to take on the world. The kid has good technique. I like him a lot. And Sandhu, what can one say? I love the guy but...oh well what is there left to say about him.

So it's 2-4 fighting it out for the bronze with 5 & 6 with an outside shot at the podium. Good luck guys. Let's keep the ice fanny free.

Shanti

On the Ice
SusanBeth said:
BTW, am I the only one who missed Yagudin? There just wasn't a match for Winter.

No. I was thinking a lot about his marvellous "Winter".

And yeah, while the SP wasn't exactly a splatfest, it was very boring. I tried my best not to fall asleep but hardly managed it. I for one didn't like any routine, still :clap: to Plush and Weir for flawless performances. Strange as it my seem, my favourite programs last night were the ones of Buttle and Sandhu. Buttle has some unbelievable ability not to ruin the overall impression of the program even with numerous mistakes. As to Sandhu - well, it's a great program though I must admit it was painful to watch him bombing after such a great start with a 4*3 combo. *sigh*

Hoping LP will be better...

soogar

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
I
I can't believe Eman got held up like that and Klimkin is way down. Where are the people who complain about Europeans being held up (and especially the Russians)? That's disgraceful.

(sp?).

Well PBP was wrong- I just downloaded CBC program of Klimkin and he popped that quad toe into a double. Klimkin was very shaky and the CBC broadcasters were speculating that Kundravstev was pushing Klimkin hard to do complete runthroughs of his program and it might be taking a toll on his ankle. From what I've seen (and I love Klimkin), Evan and Emmanuel received the rightful scores. Other than jumps, both guys were skating their programs very well. Klimkin was really shaky out there; more like CoR shaky than the solidness of Euros.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
ranjake said:
if matt had landed the lutz well, how much higher would his score have been?

I was curious about this too, so I did the math. His score without the 3L is 69.15. His score with the 3L and a GOE of 0 would've been 74.25 and he would've been 5th. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. It's really too early here for math.:laugh:

emma

Record Breaker
I too agree MM (and others) that Sovoie is beautiful, as is his program....it is too bad he messed up the lutz, but the long should be wonderful to watch. I'm keeping my eyes on Takahashi too. The shorts overall did have many, many mistakes however I do appreciate that NBC showed so many of them....I'll just reiterate my wish (and I know, it will never happen) to see the competition (or what they will show) in one shot...I really would watch the other stuff too!

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Tenorguy said:
Predictions anyone?

I'll say:

Gold: Plushenko - no doubt
Silver: Lambiel- will get over his nerves
Bronze: Weir - his nerves will get to him even though Otonal is a much better program
I would probably agree. Lambiel is iffy because of his ankle injury. He has the quad but I think that is mitigated by his 3axel problems, whereas Johnny is great on 3axels. Still, Lambiel is the better spinner and in a close or semi-close call I give the edge to the defending World Champ over Johnny who has never medaled at Worlds before.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Ogre Mage said:
It is entirely possible that Lambiel might pass Johnny, but I doubt Joubert will. I have seen nothing from Joubert this season and certainly not at 2005 Worlds to suggest that will happen. In Moscow, Johnny was skating with an injury and still beat him.

I feel bad for my favorite skater, Jeff B. ... but at least he is in the final flight. I still think it's a great program.

I wont mind at all if you are right. I dont like Joubert's skating at all, but the judges do and he has the quad difficulty. It is interesting though his PCS scores were so much lower than Europeans, whoops the Olympics are not in France.
:rofl: