Who's next? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who's next?

soogar

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Millie - Look closely. There are posters who are deliberately provocative. They are not in GS or other forums to contribute information, discussion or a bit of humour; they are wanting to cause disruption. They are not happy in SashaForum or MKForum because everyone is agreeing with each other.

When a provocative poster hits on the Forum itself, it gives reason to believe that the poster is looking for revenge. These posters provoke normal posters to give retorts which they do not like themselves.

Now to you point implying that the Mods single out only certain provacateurs, we would like an example, please. You may be right and we can apologize.

Joe

I'm just curious what's the difference between a troll and someone who just doesn't agree or particularly care for a skater. I've never gotten any "official" warnings though I have been called a troll by several posters. I'm just curious b/c the stuff I'm reading from Morganlee doesn't sound like a "troll". Actually he/she is writing stuff that I have written here from time to time concerning Michelle.

soogar said:
I'm just curious what's the difference between a troll and someone who just doesn't agree or particularly care for a skater. I've never gotten any "official" warnings though I have been called a troll by several posters. I'm just curious b/c the stuff I'm reading from Morganlee doesn't sound like a "troll". Actually he/she is writing stuff that I have written here from time to time concerning Michelle.
Moganlee was not banned for being a troll. Morganlee had nothing but contempt for the Golden Skate Forum. We do not control the registration by asking newcomers who there favorite skater is. I'm sure you wouldn't want that either.

Morganlee can without any problem from us join one of those Forums which she implied have equal fans for all skaters. I doubt such Forums exist but she's probably welcome to them.

Yes indeed you have written stuff like her about MK, and your case for banning was reviewed and found within the guidelines. Excessive bashing of a skater is considered against the guidelines. You didn't make it a cause celebre, and you have interest in figure skating in general - not centred on one skater.

We don't ban easily.

Joe

Joesitz said:
We don't ban easily.
I would like to expand on Joe's comment just a little. We absolutely HATE to have to take such action. We hate it like the devil.

We hate to close a thread, or to censor a post, and most of all (speaking for myself here) to "scold" a GS member. (I feel so silly when I do so -- like anyone cares what I think, LOL.)

We had a new member recently whose first post was, in exactly these words, "I hate Michelle Kwan."

*shrugs* OK. That poster is still around.

Of course if you speak that bluntly, someone else might come along and say, "sod off, troll."

*shrugs* OK.

Also, we almost never take any action of this sort unless we receive multiple complaints from members through the formal complaint process (click on the little triangle at the bottom left of a post if you think that the post is in egregious violation of Golden State rules.)

But ... we do have a responsibility to enforce the Golden Skate guidelines about bashing. Here they are:

Q: What is "bashing"?

A: "Bashing," by definition, occurs when you bring your own personal feelings into the forum and turn posts and threads into a war....

Bashing also means excessively posting negative things (true or untrue) pertaining to skaters. Again, it's 'ok' to disagree, joke, and comment, but to blatantly bash a skater because you don't like him/her will not be tolerated in this forum.

Mathman :)

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
This article started out as Who's next in figure skating. To bad it turned out like who's next to be banned. Let's hope that everyone is more cordial to each other when the ladies figure skating competitions starts next week.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Well, I'd like to just say a few words about my nominee in Ladies skating - it is Kimberly Meissner. I think that this Olympics will be her springboard to future stardom. I don't necessarily mean she will win a medal - but to ME she is already a star. Last year at Nationals, especially in the short program, she was a sleek, lovely little ballerina. This year she has upped her athletic ante because it is at least somewhat necessary in order to attain a medal at the Olympics.

I love her positive attitude, her unmade-up natural facial quality, and her nice balance between great athletics and sublime grace. I love Katy Taylor too, but right now I don't think Katy has the REPETOIRE (spelling?) of difficult jumps that Kimberly has.

I should mention that here I'm talking about American ladies' prospects.

I'm sorry for going back to the original topic of this thread. :)

Morganlee was going to be the poster I was going to nominate as someone the mods had treated unfairly. I found ML's posts funny, insightful re pointing out the hypocrisy of certain posts and GS "rules," and thoughtprovoking in terms of presenting the minority POV.

I haven't found ML's posts on this or any other thread to be ones that "just stirred up trouble" or bashed anyone. ML and Kwanford Wife, IMO, went at each other equally. If you call what Morganlee did bashing and banned him/her for that, than I think Kwanford Wife should be treated according to the same rules.

However, I don't think either did anything that deserved anything more than a post to each saying something like, "Take it easy with each other, Morganlee and Kwanford Wife. Please don't post on the "Who Will be Next?" thread for the next two days so you can cool off." Or something to that effect.

Mathman, you said on the previous page that ML showed s/he had an obsessive hate of Michelle. Well, IMO, the poster whose first post started, "I hate Michelle Kwan" was never suspended or banned that I know of and the only distinction seems to be whether or not the mods dislike a certain poster, not what the poster actually writes--eg, Kwanford Wife, who I like too. Morganlee, OTOH, is new, so I have no feelings about him/her one way or the other. But I do know and like Kwanford Wife because she's been around GS a long time. Do the mods only ban people they don't know or like?

Plus, there have been a number of posters who have showed "obsessive hatred" of Irina, Sasha, Yagudin, Plushenko, the list could go on and on, but somehow only this poster, Morganlee, who was perceived as having "obsessive hatred" for Michelle and "bashing" another poster was banned. I find that to be an abuse of mod power due to their frustration over Michelle's withdrawal from the Torino games. So if I post, "I think Michelle Kwan is a poo poo head," does that get me banned too or not? Am I Morganlee or Kwanford Wife?

Can a GS member file a formal complaint about the actions of the mods towards a certain poster? Is there a procedure for that?

I'll be the first to say the mods have a thankless job and most likely get "hate PMs" from posters screaming at them more than any of us will ever know. And I realize the mods don't have to justify their actions to anybody.

Still, as the old saw goes, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely--especially when three out of the four GS mods are ardent Kwan fans. ;)

Seriously, I do want to know if there is an official procedure for registering a complaint with the mods over the actions of the mods. If there isn't such a procedure, then I'd just like to know that also.

I still support the mods. I disagree with their decisions sometimes, but I have always and will continue to support the mods right to make their decisions. :bow: Just kidding about the bow. It just seems to me there should be a procedure in place in case someone or more than someone has a serious complaint about what one or mods have done to a poster.

And heckfire, we all know that every darn day I'm a much bigger pain in the A than Morganlee ever was!

Rgirl

P.S. Sorry for getting off topic. I think the next Michelle will be me.

Last edited:

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Well, I'd just like to say a few words about my nominee in Ladies' skating - so go back to my post above and read it!

So much for trying to turn the thread back to the original topic:bow:

millie said:
This article started out as Who's next in figure skating. To bad it turned out like who's next to be banned. Let's hope that everyone is more cordial to each other when the ladies figure skating competitions starts next week.
You could read that it turned that way because of a banning. The question was changed so that the forum could be ridiculed.

There is no Kwan in this competition. It should be peaceful. The antiKwans will resume after the Olys.

Joe

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
First, it doesn't have to ba an American girl.
Second, Michelle is not so special, appart of she realyyyy enjoys her skating.
Third, there are many talented young European girls.
Fourth, don't forget Russian girls!!!
Fifth, Asada,Taylor, Gedevanishvili and everybody else are very young and they will grow up,and growing up means changing their body and their skating...
Thing about this, and also think about unpredictable new judging system. Sometimes Michelle was wining because "she is michelle kwan" and it will not be possible again.
For me, a girl who will be a shining star is Carolina Kostner! And Russian girls...:yes:

Seriously, I do want to know if there is an official procedure for registering a complaint with the mods over the actions of the mods. If there isn't such a procedure, then I'd just like to know that also.

I still support the mods. I disagree with their decisions sometimes, but I have always and will continue to support the mods right to make their decisions. :bow: Just kidding about the bow. It just seems to me there should be a procedure in place in case someone or more than someone has a serious complaint about what one or mods have done to a poster.Rgirl
We know you are sorry for getting off topic but it did give you that long supressed desired excuse to finally express your perception of what is wrong with the Board.

As I stated in another thread regarding the Board bashing of yours to send a note to Paula of your complaints and suggestions.

Imo,The Olys have gotten to you. Sasha has a good chance to win. That maybe what is making you so nervous. She's up against a great technical skater. I have not seen much of antisasha posts in this Forum, and if I did and there were reasons for banning those posters, I would.

Joe

Last edited:
jsteam4501s said:
Well, I'd like to just say a few words about my nominee in Ladies skating - it is Kimberly Meissner. I think that this Olympics will be her springboard to future stardom. I don't necessarily mean she will win a medal - but to ME she is already a star. Last year at Nationals, especially in the short program, she was a sleek, lovely little ballerina. This year she has upped her athletic ante because it is at least somewhat necessary in order to attain a medal at the Olympics.

I love her positive attitude, her unmade-up natural facial quality, and her nice balance between great athletics and sublime grace. I love Katy Taylor too, but right now I don't think Katy has the REPETOIRE (spelling?) of difficult jumps that Kimberly has.

:clap: :clap: :clap: "Gimmie Kimmie" :laugh:

dutchherder

Final Flight
I like Kimmie Meissner, Bebe Liang, and I *really* like Alissa Czisny. :clap: All three have lots of potential, but more importantly, they are likeable people. Michelle Kwan is my favorite female skater, but I think a good part of the reason that she is so well loved is because she's personable. The same goes for Dorothy Hamill, Katia Gordeeva, Scott Hamilton, and Kurt Browning. They are all fantastic skaters, but people also *love* them. Sasha Cohen is a gorgeous skater, but she has seemed a bit standoffish at times through the years, and *that's* why, I think, she hasn't yet risen to Kwan star status. People want the kind of skater that they can still love, even if they have a really bad skate, IMHO.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
jsteam4501s said:

jsteam.........nice comments and assessments about Kimberly......I think she has HUGE potential and can't wait to see it develop............42

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
It's not a skater specific fan board, but it's not a skater specific hate board either.

Excellent comment, Susan...........It's hard to warm up to a poster who's sole purpose is to instigate dissension between the other board members.....maybe that's what "bored and lonely" people do.........

Back on topic........I love the power and flow of the Japanese ladies, especially Mao, but I must say Kimberly has my attention. I think she can bloom into a lovely skater.........42

kyla2

Final Flight
Imo

Kimmie, Katy, Bebe, Mao, and I am sure there are others, all have potential. I just don't know who they all are. I really hope (more than you know) that the artistic component won't take a back seat to the athletic requirements or we will have lost something unique to figure skating.

millie

Medalist
kyla2 said:
Kimmie, Katy, Bebe, Mao, and I am sure there are others, all have potential. I just don't know who they all are. I really hope (more than you know) that the artistic component won't take a back seat to the athletic requirements or we will have lost something unique to figure skating.

Mira Liang of Canada could be another next. She is athletic and good with her jumps but if she could get the artistic side of her programs improved, she may have a chance.

kyla2

Final Flight
Millie

I have heard her name mentioned before. I hope I get to see her skate next year. I am hoping NBC will show some of the less well known and up and coming skaters. I also like S. Poykio too and think she is undermarked. I would like to see Joannie Rochette do well at the Olympics. She is the total package too.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I have my money on Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim to make their big breakthroughs next year. I think Miki Ando and Carolina Kostner will be forces to reackon with in the future (assuming that they both stay in competition after this season, and I think they will). And I expect to see Mira Leung and Katy Taylor move up the ranks, but not right away. My two cents :biggrin:

If some of the big names happened to drop out before World (Sasha, Irina, Shizzie), Junior Worlds this year might be more exciting than Senior Worlds in the Ladies division. :rofl: and 2007 Worlds seem like they might be better than the Olympics.