Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Who's next?

Ballroom Baby
    It wasn't about Kwan until the troll showed up. Morganlee, stick to the question and answer civily or sod off.

I am currently waiting on Mao. She's cute, but that's about all right now. I don't really care about the 3a--nice that she can do it, maybe she'll keep it as she gets older and bigger, but whatever. Once she gets more presentation skills under her belt, we'll see. I enjoyed her, but she didn't make me go "Wow."

I loved Stephanie Rosenthal at Nationals. That's artistry of another sort. Unfortunately they're rewarding the very predictable Katy Taylor right now. Emily and Bebe both had flashes of brilliance at Nationals, but again it's the consistency. Give them a few years and we'll see.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by julietvalcouer
    It wasn't about Kwan until the troll showed up. Morganlee, stick to the question and answer civily or sod off.

I am currently waiting on Mao. She's cute, but that's about all right now. I don't really care about the 3a--nice that she can do it, maybe she'll keep it as she gets older and bigger, but whatever. Once she gets more presentation skills under her belt, we'll see. I enjoyed her, but she didn't make me go "Wow."

I loved Stephanie Rosenthal at Nationals. That's artistry of another sort. Unfortunately they're rewarding the very predictable Katy Taylor right now. Emily and Bebe both had flashes of brilliance at Nationals, but again it's the consistency. Give them a few years and we'll see.
    Sod off? What is that merry old English talk ? As I've said, not spouting the party line does not make one a troll. If you want a skater to make you feel all gooey, maybe a chick flick might be in order instead. The rest of us are watching 2006 figure skating. Sonia H died a long long time ago.

Ballroom Baby
    Be glad I'm not channelling my friend Iain tonight. He'd be happy to explain EXACTLY what that expression means. (It's anatomically impossible, if that's a hint. I suspect the filter would catch what I really wanted to say.)

You, rather like geisha (did someone finally ban her?), are not only not spouting the party line, you're coming into threads just to trash Michelle Kwan. (No, she does not make me feel "gooey", though I do think her programs have always been nice to watch--personally I don't watch ladies in general as it's my least-favorite discipline.) The question was about who do you see as the next major star who will emotionally connect with as many people as Kwan has. If you can't handle that she was the major skating star of the last decade and she did emotionally connect with thousands of fans, I think that's your problem. Even non-fans (as opposed to bashers) acknowledge that. Either contribute to the discussion and prove you're not a troll, or go away. As it is, you sound as if (like geisha) you can't get past the "OMG TRIPLE JUMP YAY!" stage, suggesting you don't know a whole lot about skating, anyway.

um...back on topic, I would agree with those who say that someone of the stature of Kwan and Slutskaya will not arise for quite some time, and it will be someone who isn't skating yet - at least not as a senior. The problem is that we've gotten so used to seeing these two skaters who've had very different paths (and have very different strengths), but whose careers have been simultaneous, that we're used to having lengends-in-the-making in our midst. Everyone will be quick to name someone the next Irina or Michelle, when, really, what has made them so special did not appear until they'd been at the top of their sport for a few seasons already.

I can't even consider any skater "the next one" until they've competed internationally (and done well) for 2 seasons on the senior level. Many skaters who excelled as juniors failed to reach those heights as seniors. And longevity no longer seems to be an aspiration for the ladies, which I find sad.

Banned
    Be glad I'm not channelling my friend Iain tonight. He'd be happy to explain EXACTLY what that expression means. (It's anatomically impossible, if that's a hint. I suspect the filter would catch what I really wanted to say.)

You, rather like geisha (did someone finally ban her?), are not only not spouting the party line, you're coming into threads just to trash Michelle Kwan. (No, she does not make me feel "gooey", though I do think her programs have always been nice to watch--personally I don't watch ladies in general as it's my least-favorite discipline.) The question was about who do you see as the next major star who will emotionally connect with as many people as Kwan has. If you can't handle that she was the major skating star of the last decade and she did emotionally connect with thousands of fans, I think that's your problem. Even non-fans (as opposed to bashers) acknowledge that. Either contribute to the discussion and prove you're not a troll, or go away. As it is, you sound as if (like geisha) you can't get past the "OMG TRIPLE JUMP YAY!" stage, suggesting you don't know a whole lot about skating, anyway.
    I'm handeling things just fine. Most of us are enjoying this season. It's you and your ilk who can't seem to let things go and move on. Maybe a nice warm plate of brownies will help. I've been following figure skating since the 1950's and nobody is going back to watching ladies do doubles just so people like you can feel safe- nobody.
    Last edited by Morganlee; 02-15-2006 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geoskate
    Yu-Na Kim already touches my heart. I love watching her simply for the sheer beauty of her skating, although she is also a great athlete. There are a lot of 'ifs', of course (injury, puberty, etc) as to how well she will progress in the next few years.

I think that she is at least as good artistically as Michelle Kwan was at age 15, so I think there is a chance that she could become one of the great ones, as Michelle did.
    I agree. Of all the skaters that I mentioned in my first post, this is the one that I think might be able to bring the emotional content to her programs that seems to be slipping away from the sport. She seemed like such a forelorn little thing when she was training in Canada last year, suffering from homesickness and culture shock. This year she is brimming with vitality and confidence.

MM
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-14-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I never thought I'd see another golfer the likes of Jack Nicklaus. Yet thirty years later, here is Tiger Woods, making the turn with 10 major championships, on his way toward matching the Golden Bear's 18.

Michelle has been the most dominant and the most popular figure skater in the U.S. for a decade. Will we have to wait 30 years to see who's next?

Or only until next year?

Will Mao Asada win her first world championship in 2007, starting a string of nine straight trips to the world podium? Will fans in the United States and worldwide embrace her if she does?

Yu-Na Kim, also 15, beat Emily Hughes by 14 points, Kimmie Meissner by 17 and Alissa Czisny by 26 at junior worlds last year, and Katy Taylor by 35 at the junior GP final this year. Her potential appears to be on a par with Mao's.

Kimmie Meissner, 16. With two U.S. medals in her pocket already, will these Olympic games be the springboard for this rising star?

Katy Taylor, 16. The new Tara, this Sugarland Sprite is my pick for the next U.S. Champion if Sasha does not compete next year.

In 10 days someone will win a gold medal, and most of the present generation of champions will move on to the next stage of their lives. I for one think they will leave the sport in good hands.

MM
    I don't think it's about who beat who by how many points. That's not what made Michelle great. Let us see- in order to equal her feat of 9 US titles we will have to wait for at least 8 more years. That is, if Sasha stuck around for 8 more years and won every year. Otherwise it will be someone else that starts the trend next year and wins 9 titles- so we are looking at 9 years minimum What is the probability of that happening? Close to zero, I would say.

It is too early to make any predictions about Mao Asada, Yu na Kim, etc.

Certainly there will be a new Olympic champion who will have something that Kwan has not been able to achieve. We all know that just one OGM does not make a skater great. I don't think of Tara or Sarah or even Oksana as a great skater. I would consider Irina, however. In addition to 5 world titles, 9 US titles and 2 Olympic medals Michelle has something that not many athletes display- grace under the worst type of situation. I think it will be very hard to find that combination. In fact I am not sure 30 years will be enough.

Vash

Banned
    Some people need to get over it. The Olympic medal records aren't going to forget who won what and it's always going to be there for anyone who's in doubt in the future. Either a skater achieved the ultimate or they did not, Those are just non debatable facts.

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    there is definitely an upcoming crop of skaters with extraordinary athletic ability (like mao), but they are also in need of a lot of polish. only time will tell who will capture the hearts of the audience. personally, i think mao, with a little more artistry under her belt, has that potential. when you look at her performances this past year, it's easy to spot the faults that still give her a junior-ish quality, but she always looks so happy just to be on the ice and competing. that is heart-warming in itself. i also think yu-na kim has great artisty for her age that is almost on par with the early michelle. michelle was a bit of a jumping bean herself when she started (pre-salome era), but then he ermeged with great artistic qualities and her trademark change-of-edge spiral. i think yu-na has that potential too. but once again, only time will tell (think: naomi nari nam).

Custom Title
    I think Mao has potential but it'll depend on what happens over the next few years as she grows up a little and matures. I think it's a little hard to say who will be next because most the girls are still pretty young and things change

Quote Originally Posted by Morganlee
    I'm handeling things just fine. Most of us are enjoying this season. It's you and your ilk who can't seem to let things go and move on. Maybe a nice warm plate of brownies will help. I've been following figure skating since the 1950's and nobody is going back to watching ladies do doubles just so people like you can feel safe- nobody.
    You've been warned about bashing individuals, skaters and the Board itself. One more attack on an individual, skaters or the Board and off you go.

Is there anything about figure skating you can say good things about? or is it the Board that you must bash? And are you an honest person and can answer the question in a truthful way, were you a member of GS in years gone by?

Joe

Custom Title
    I really enjoy watching Kimmie Meissner and Carolina Kostner - they may be future rivals.

Ballroom Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by skatergirlaj
    I think Mao has potential but it'll depend on what happens over the next few years as she grows up a little and matures. I think it's a little hard to say who will be next because most the girls are still pretty young and things change
    I have more hope for Mao than I did for Tara--she never really grabbed me, but Mao...even though I don't like cutesy little-girl skating, I found her entertaining and I was a LOT more impressed with her 3a than Kimmie's (which was underrotated, I don't care what the technical caller said.) I do wish she'd get a few more triples, though. The 3a's not much use if she can't do all the others and she apparently can't.

I had forgotten about Alissa Czyny (sp? I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat...) I am not overawed by overdone extention (why I'm still not overly impressed by Sasha, who tends to look more like a contortionist than a dancer to me) but Alissa has beautiful lines. If she could get her jumping together, with her spins and spiral positions, and her balletic grace, she could really go somewhere. I hope her boot problem gets sorted out and she really gets it together next year. I like her and Bebe, but we'll see how it goes.

(sp? I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat...)

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    I loved Stephanie Rosenthal at Nationals. That's artistry of another sort.
    I liked her at Nat's too. I can't wait to see more from her.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast