Just a Jamie Sale Question... | Golden Skate

Just a Jamie Sale Question...

nubka

Final Flight
My 14 year old daughter and I were both watching Olympic Ice today. Jamie Salle looks as if she's almost cross eyed, or maybe her right eye is lazy, I'm not sure (I've never really had a good , forward, look at her before, because she's usually in motion with skating.)

Anyway, nothing earth-shattering, but even my daughter noticed this...or maybe we are just imagining things...??

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I've noticed that too, it looks like one of her eyes is a bit lazy (or something like that). That is usually corrected easily so I'm surprised it wasn't -- so maybe its something else.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
IIRC from my opthamologist visits, the correct term for an eye that "wanders" is Amblyopia. Exotropia is the term for when the eye turns out. The surgery for this can be quite involved.

I had surgery for this condition three years ago and it took me a full month to recover completely. The first two weeks afterwards I had quite a bit of pain and everything didn't get back to be "right" for at least two more weeks after that. Then the person is trying to adjust to their "new" eyes.

For a skater like Jamie who is training and doing shows, it may not be as simple as one would think. After all, she is doing lifts, jumps and throws. That kind of procedure can take a long time to completely recover from and I don't imagine that if I were her I'd want to have the surgery and then have to get right back into my normal routine. If it's not bothering her, I don't see why she should go to the trouble of having the surgery.

This is just from my personal experience and research.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
There is a way to try to correct it without surgery for most people, you can patch the good eye and force the weak muscle of the 'bad eye' to do all the work and then the muscle becomes stronger - usually this is corrected when a person is still a kid but I guess it depends on whether the parent or doctor brings it up. I had a girl in school with a much more noticeable lazy eye that was never corrected.

ildah

Rinkside
Yes, I think it acts up more when she is really tired (which they must be). I have a friend at work with a mild case of lazy eye, and it is noticeable in pictures but not in person. So it might be the TV accentuating it. Kind of gives her a baby-doll look IMO. I'm so loving that Olympic Ice program, and I hear it is the surprise hit of the NBC coverage.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I'm enjoying Olympic Ice too, I've been taping it every day so I have to go back after the Olympics and watch the bulk of it, so far I've only been able to watch it here and there.

nubka

Final Flight
Thanks for the responses. I wonder if we will still see S&P on "Olympic Ice", now that the pairs are over. They were both interesting to listen to...