Men's LP start order up | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's LP start order up

zeytin

Rinkside
Vash01 said:
I want Plush to skate the greatest performance of his career and win the OGM.

Vash

i wish the same thing. i hope he'll skate like alexei skated in SLC. he didn't make his programm easier after plush's fall at sp. he skated like a champion with taking risks. if plush skates clean tonight, i want to see him at the end of his routine, it'll be great to watch his happiness :)

zeytin

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:
So there is a process of elimination with the SP. I thought the QR in Worlds only had a process of eliminating skaters.

Joe

Yes, the QR are elimination for 30 skaters into short programme and short programme eliminates into 24 skaters in freeskate. In Europeans there has been no QR lately, as there are maybe one or two over 30.

Justafan

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
Not a good draw for Johnny either. It would be hard for him to decide what risks to take without having seen either Jeff or Brian skate. The only two before him are Plushy and Lambiel, and Johnny is not likely to beat either of them.

Also, both Evan and Matt at the very beginning of their group.

He won't beat Plush, but he did beat Lambiel in the short. It's possible he could take him, and skating after him will be an advantage unless Stefan skates totally clean and brings down the house.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Justafan said:
He won't beat Plush, but he did beat Lambiel in the short. It's possible he could take him, and skating after him will be an advantage unless Stefan skates totally clean and brings down the house.
I guess my point is that Johnny should be thrilled with any medal. IMO it's worth it for him to take risks to get onto the podium, but play it safe it it's the difference in the color of a medal.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I agree with that I don't mind Plushy winning if he skates a clean performance. Although, if he has flaws and still wins it takes away from a memorable Oly performance. I think it will be more exciting to see Johnny and Buttle skate great performances and get on the podium.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
If you can say that, you don't really love Plush. You secretly want him to fail.

I want Plush to skate the greatest performance of his career and win the OGM.

Vash

I really don't want him to fail, it's just too bad he isn't skating last - I think he will skate great, win the OGM and the rest of the night will be a bore..... just more exciting if he has to sit backstage watching every other skater before we know if he won or not. If he skates perfect it will be anticlimatic (for me) b/c of the new scoring system. In the old system, you could always count on an upset due to judges placements.. now its all in the numbers.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
In the old days, you could only lose in the short. That seems to have changed and it's making me nervous. I definitely prefer Plushenko being absolutely brilliant and winning by a landslide to the other nightmarish possibilities.

Imagine Plushenko out there in his full arm flailing, head flinging, skating-at-the-music (not with it) glory and he messes up. Then, Weir goes out and he is smooth and beautiful. He lands his (admittedly easier, but not easy by any means) moves and gets the silver. Will skating ever be able to drag itself out of the sewer in American public opinion?

I don't think I could stand any more "excitement" here. I do pray that Plushy doesn't mess up. The fact that nobody but skating fans seems to give a ummm hoot is an odd sort of comfort.

Edited- remember that most people don't understand the NJS at all, but they know what they see.

Last edited:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
very good point SusanBeth! I didn't even think of that .. if Plushy makes mistakes, he will likely still win ( deservedly so) and it would just make for many headaches for us listening to why he didn't deserve to win.

Ok this is a better scenario -- Plushy skates perfectly, then Lambiel skates perfectly and lands his triple axels, so its at least mathmatically possible for me to kinda pretend he has a shot and get my heart rate going a little bit. Then Johnny skates perfectly w/ quads and then Emanuel Sandhu does the same (wait, is emanuel in the final group?).

Maybe I should just hope Plushy is flawless and get my heart rate going elsewhere... like at the short-track!

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
Great draw for Plush, being first up. He goes out there & fires his cannons, then goes up to sit in the stands & watch the rest scramble for the scraps, so to speak.

LOVED this for some reason Frau - thanks! - really made me authentically laugh out loud...might have to steal this, hee-hee.

(Hey MM (who I love to steal from) - did you ever see your Alissa quote in IFS? And just think....with Kwan's withdrawal, if Alissa had been the alternate...your vision would have come eerily true!!)

Only one hour to go.....

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Imagine Plushenko out there in his full arm flailing, head flinging, skating-at-the-music (not with it)
:laugh: :bow:

I really don't think Plush will mess up. It'll be a great performance and a coronation. I don't think the guys out there today have the consistency on the big jumps that Plush has. I hate his artistic but the spins, footwork and jumps make him pretty much unbeatable. Even on their best days, the other guys just aren't in his league.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Hey, Zanzibar, so is Babou ready?

I thought that Sandra Bezik's comments about his 'trite' choreography & Button's slam on his "007" costume were nasty! Babou did a pretty decent job on Tuesday. :agree:

Zanzibar said:
(Hey MM (who I love to steal from) - did you ever see your Alissa quote in IFS? And just think....with Kwan's withdrawal, if Alissa had been the alternate...your vision would have come eerily true!!)
For some reason, I never did see that issue. The bookstores where I usually buy IFS didn't carry it that month (?), or maybe they sold out.

I used to subscribe to both IFS and BOI, but their home delivery was so slow and iffy that I let my subscriptions lapse, and just buy them on the newsstands. They were usually available in the bookstores at least a week before they mailed out my copy. I couldn't wait that long (plus after a while I thought they had forgotten about me), so I would buy one and then end up a couple of weeks later with two.

So now the only magazine that I actually have a subscription to is Spotlight on Skating -- which I won in a Golden Skate pick-the-winners contest, LOL.

Frau Mueller, I think Baboo will pull it together and get the silver (Weir third). But I did have to agree with Sandra on the SP. That choreography absolutely stunk up the place, and the only worse costume I've seen is last year's "ships of Columbus." :)

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Mathman said:
But I did have to agree with Sandra on the SP. That choreography absolutely stunk up the place, and the only worse costume I've seen is last year's "ships of Columbus." :)

Is Babou Joubert? (Sorry I don't feel like going back and reading all the posts). When he started shooting people with his fingers, I had to leave the room.

soogar

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
Hey, Zanzibar, so is Babou ready?

I thought that Sandra Bezik's comments about his 'trite' choreography & Button's slam on his "007" costume were nasty! Babou did a pretty decent job on Tuesday. :agree:

Especially considering the sexy come hither programs Sandra always choreographed for both Kristy (ewww) and Katerina. She's the perfect person to talk about trite. Baboo's program rocked and I loved his costume.