Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Russian pairs dominance @ Olympics - Can it continue?

Custom Title

Russian pairs dominance @ Olympics - Can it continue?

With the chinese nipping at their heels, do you think the Russians will be able to produce another winning team 4 years from now?

Are there any young Russian pairs worthy of passing the torch to?

Custom Title
    Yes - and they'll be ready in a "Moskvina Minute"!

Custom Title
    I love Moskvina Minute!! Who are the best Russian juniors?

Obertas and Slavnov have said that they plan to peak for the 2010 Games and carry on the streak, but at the moment I don't feel that they have the capacity to do so. They just don't have very good basics, and I'm not sure they will be the powerhouse that Berezhnaya and Sikhardlize and Totmianina and Marinin were before them.

As for the juniors, a pair named Valeria Simakova and Anton Tokarev won the Junior Grand Prix Final this year. So maybe that bodes well for the future?

Custom Title
    Well the pipeline isn't as full as it once was. T/M grew tremendously in the past 3 years- concievably this was the Oly that would end the trend, This is the first quad in a while that hasn't seen maultiple Russian pairs in the medals at the Olys and Worlds.

I think the Chinese looked pretty stocked right now- and beleive it or not I think the US will be returning to medal contention in the next few years when some of our younder skaters mature/adapt to COP.

I won't count the Russians out though. They have the best pairs coaches in the business and that has to count for a lot.

Banned
    It will probably end at the next Olympics. If it is continued though it will be a team just out of juniors recently, or juniors now. No way will it be Obertas/Slavnov or a team that is not even a top junior team this year.

Custom Title

Russian Pairs

Quote Originally Posted by FreeKatie
    With the chinese nipping at their heels, do you think the Russians will be able to produce another winning team 4 years from now?

Are there any young Russian pairs worthy of passing the torch to?

I sure hope so. This year's pairs didn't really do it for me - too slow.

Pairs skate has been my favorite - with G&G at the top.

Then come the men. Or that used to be the way. Watching the short was disappointing save for Plushenko. He is the best. Can't wait for the long.

I think that all of this extra points thing is going to take another year or so to work itself into a good skate for all divisions.

But I still stay glued to the tube to see the skates despite those bloody hip-hopping around. I do tape the last 2 hours and watch the next morning.

shdotz

Custom Title
    I really wanna see another Bereshnaya & Shikeralidze, or Gordeeva & Grinkov type pair outta Russia - c'mon we're dying here with those cold fishes T&M!

Shoe Diva
    I wouldn't be surprised if Russian pairs dominance at the Games ended for awhile, but at the same time I'm really looking forward to seeing the Chinese teams develop & grow.

They may have a new Pairs team for gold ready by 2010 full of the robotic moves to get more points but there will never be another B&S for years to come.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    No way will it be Obertas/Slavnov or a team that is not even a top junior team this year.
    Well, you never know. G&G won the '88 games, and in '84 they were only 5th at Junior Worlds, so you never know.

I do, however, agree with you general point. Moskvina's top two teams are O&S and Borzenkova & Chuviliayev, who really have no shined; the latter were only 5th at nationals. The two teams worth mentioning are Shestakova & Lebedev and Mukhortova & Trankov (Shestakova used to skate with Trankov, and Mukhortova with Lebedev). Both train with the Velikovs, who tend to produce nice but rather uninspiring teams - Petrova & Tikhonov, Shishkova & Naumov, etc. Both of those teams have done very well in juniors - the former won Jr. Worlds in 2004, the latter in 2005. The former were 5th at both their senior GP events this year, the latter were 4th and 7th. Whether either of those teams can rise to the top is anyone's guess.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Please correct my comment if it is wrong. In regard to Obertas and Slavnov, it seems like they have the skating skills to produce. I remember someone saying that Obertas is very difficult to work with. She has had maybe 3 partners who she thought were not good enough. Yet, with Slavnov she is the one who misses all the jumps. It seems to me like he is the better skater of the two. If Moskvina could somehow work her magic on the couple, I think they have a chance.

Dee

Custom Title
    I thought that I read somewhere that Moskvina was considering retiring. I am not sure where I read that though. It might be completely untrue. Has anyone read anything about it?

Ballroom Baby
    Oh, I hope it ends. I really do. Though I hope that Moskvina doesn't retire--her skaters at least know how to act graciously (paging Oleg Vasiliev, Miss Manners is calling...) But I think that the Chinese are rising. Just looking at the three teams they sent, they have incredible depth. Russia, on the other hand, seems to be missing some of their old dominance. I don't know about the US--pairs has never really been our thing. But I am increasingly a fan of Yao Bin and his stable of pairs, and I'm rather hoping to see China at the top of the podium four years from now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by julietvalcouer
    Oh, I hope it ends. I really do. Though I hope that Moskvina doesn't retire--her skaters at least know how to act graciously (paging Oleg Vasiliev, Miss Manners is calling...) But I think that the Chinese are rising. Just looking at the three teams they sent, they have incredible depth. Russia, on the other hand, seems to be missing some of their old dominance. I don't know about the US--pairs has never really been our thing. But I am increasingly a fan of Yao Bin and his stable of pairs, and I'm rather hoping to see China at the top of the podium four years from now.
    Chinese don't really have the depth in pairs. Couple of years back, I read there were only 7 pairs in china. These top three are all under BinYao, and I'm afraid that's all they have it now. They have to develop new teams.

No worry, Russian will continue their dominance in O game. Maybe chinese will domimnante next couple of years after TT/MM and Piteck retiring after this game. But when next game around the cornner, RF has the power to lobby rules changes again in favore of whatever skill their top pair has then.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast