Russian pairs dominance @ Olympics - Can it continue? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russian pairs dominance @ Olympics - Can it continue?

lulu

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
. B&S carried that further, with their great basic skills combined with innovative moves.

Vash

And ITA with you with regards to B&S. :agree:

At their pinnacle, Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze were able combined the the pure technical perfection of Gordeeva & Grinkov, and the innovative artistry of Mishkutenok & Dmitriev, and their own elegant style. Of the top male skaters (and I say top-because I haven't been familiar with some of the lower ranked pair teams throughout history); I think had Anton some of the best extenstion/line/posture.

mzheng

Record Breaker
lulu said:
Also would to add my 2 cents in for adding Dmitriev to the list of all time greats. :rock:

In my opinion, the three greatest pair teams of the post Rodnina era (1980-2006) have been Gordeeva & Grinkov, Mishkutenok & Dmitriev and Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze.
Of course, some people prefer the more traditional way of presentation, but as one ISU official said several years ago, there were only 2 male skaters that could take your attention away from their partners: Christopher Dean and Artur Dmitriev.
Artur also formed a very successful partnership with Oksana Kazakova-and I greatly enjoy their programs, but IMO, he did his best work with Mishktuenok.
Yeah. Dmitriev should be considered one of them. They are one of highlight in COI for me. He can emote....there is another male skater that could take your attention away from their partners. Yevegny Platave (sorry for the spelling) !

dutchherder

Final Flight
Oh, Canada!

When I think of passionate pairs skating, I think of Underhill and Martini (anyone remember "Unchained Melody"?) and Sale and Pelletier. Canada gets my vote, because they have some good young skaters, and I think that S&P have every intention of giving back to the sport in their country to help these young skaters maximize their potential.

I think the U.S. has good young teams too, but until they receive the support the singles skaters enjoy, they won't be a dominating factor.

As for the Chinese, their power is awesome, but I don't see them making a meaningful, lasting impact on audiences until their country allows them more freedom.

:yes:

shdotz

On the Ice
Another G&G

FreeKatie said:
I really wanna see another Bereshnaya & Shikeralidze, or Gordeeva & Grinkov type pair outta Russia - c'mon we're dying here with those cold fishes T&M!

Wouldn't it be great to see another example of G&G's skating?

I'm glad we have tapes of them.

I think Sale and Pelletier are close in their approach to pair skating, but they're pros now.

shdotz

shdotz said:

Wouldn't it be great to see another example of G&G's skating?

I'm glad we have tapes of them.

I think Sale and Pelletier are close in their approach to pair skating, but they're pros now.shdotz
and S&P are arguably the best Pro Pairs team nowadays. I say that because their technique has improved so much and they show so much versatility in their performances with a variety of music styles.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
76olympics said:
Actually, I loved G and G's 1988 long program--it did not smack of Zhuk to me. Katia was so expressive and airy light and she seemed to be full of joy the entire skate. I still watch it to inject some cheer on a gloomy day. I believe Marina choreographed this number.
Yes, the choreography was by Zueva. I guess to me Katya of '88 is rather like Lipinski - delightful to look at, cheery, bubbly, but not much more than that.

shdotz

On the Ice
Ekaterina Gordeeva

Ptichka said:
Yes, the choreography was by Zueva. I guess to me Katya of '88 is rather like Lipinski - delightful to look at, cheery, bubbly, but not much more than that.

OUCH!!!

I would never, ever compare Katia to what's her name. UGH!!

Katia is a much better skater than L and her joy is real; she's a skater's skater, not a roller skater.

shdotz