Dick's Diddies | Golden Skate

Dick's Diddies

FreeKatie

On the Ice
This is a thread to write down anything interesting that comes out of Uncle Dick's mouth over the course of the next week and a half.

So far the most memorable for me has been Dick's comparison of Stephan Lambiel's SP costume to his livingroom curtains (and the possibility of them being distant relatives)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I thought that Dick admitting he had no idea what a rusty hoot was (on Olympic Ice) was pretty good. However, I expect he does know, but doesn't want to say. I believe it is euphemistic college slang from a more innocent day for a wet fart.

(I have heard rusty used in this sense, and am guessing how it combines with hoot)

I also loved his enthusiasm for a flying forward sitspin, which he said was the best he'd seen since Hayes Jenkins

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
I thought that Dick admitting he had no idea what a rusty hoot was (on Olympic Ice) was pretty good. However, I expect he does know, but doesn't want to say. I believe it is euphemistic college slang from a more innocent day for a wet fart.

(I have heard rusty used in this sense, and am guessing how it combines with hoot)

I also loved his enthusiasm for a flying forward sitspin, which he said was the best he'd seen since Hayes Jenkins

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That was one of Dick's comments that Mr. Doggy loved. While we don't know for sure what he meant, it kept Mr. Doggy interested, which is a blessing to me!!!!

DG

equestrianguy

On the Ice
So far the most memorable for me has been Dick's comparison of Stephan Lambiel's SP costume to his livingroom curtains (and the possibility of them being distant relatives)

Actually, if Uncle DICK knew that the music was from Cirque du Soleil's Dralion show the costume was very fitting. If anyone has seen a Cirque show they should understand the costume...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I saw Dralion! I liked his costume, but I kept thinking he must be very uncomfortable in it (it was kinda bulky)

Tenorguy

On the Ice
FreeKatie -
I saw Dralion as well, but to me Stephan looked like half-gypsy, half-tufted couch!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I loved his enthusiasm for Zagorska and Siudek, whom he said they were lovely people. If they lived next door, they would not keep pit bulls in the backyard, and if you invited them for dinner, they wouldn't spill wine on the tablecloth!

Dick must have had some bad neighbors over the years. It doesn't take much to make him happy !

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
equestrianguy said:
Actually, if Uncle DICK knew that the music was from Cirque du Soleil's Dralion show the costume was very fitting. If anyone has seen a Cirque show they should understand the costume...:)

Funny. I saw Dralion. Had no idea that was what Lambiel's costume was. I agree w/ the looked too bulky. Cirque costuming is generally very fitted ... although, I don't remember all of the specifics of Dralion. That was a few years back.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
tharrtell said:
Funny. I saw Dralion. Had no idea that was what Lambiel's costume was. I agree w/ the looked too bulky. Cirque costuming is generally very fitted ... although, I don't remember all of the specifics of Dralion. That was a few years back.

No, the costume didn't remind me of Dralion...the music did. Like someone posted earlier...Cirque costumes are usually really tight fitting. If I remember correctly I think Klimkin skated to a Cirque piece of music severl years ago and the costume was very fitting in fit and to the music.. I agree...Lambiels outfite was too bulky...but I loved the program just that same..

terriskates

Rinkside
I'm going to offend some people here, but Uncle Dick was dead on about Plushy's free being only about jumps and flailing arms. It was more of a jump demonstration than a program!

FreeKatie

On the Ice
terriskates said:
I'm going to offend some people here, but Uncle Dick was dead on about Plushy's free being only about jumps and flailing arms. It was more of a jump demonstration than a program!

He kind of made a backhanded compliment about Plushy - he said that he was a great bamboozler! I loved that line - but he also compared him to someone...was it Fred Astaire? He keeps your attention and makes you think your seeing something great. Confidence is half the battle and if there is one thing Plushy has, its confidence. He is not the greatest looking guy in the rink, but last night he was more attractive than Joubert. Confidence is sexy and sexy sells!

sk8addict

On the Ice
right on

terriskates said:
Thanks for putting it out there. I totally agree. Jump-arms arms jump arm jump we might as well be back in 6.0. I don't think the judges showed up for thier component score class.

Jasper

Final Flight
Yes, the "bamboozling" comparison to Fred Astaire was funny yet honest and true.

I agree about Stephane's shirt being way too bulky and loose-fitting. Usually the outfits he wears suit his body perfectly.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Confidence is sexy and sexy sells![/QUOTE]

After watching "Olympic Ice" the other day when they showed Katarina Witt's 88 gold medal performance...that statement "sexy sells" is all too true. Since all she did was one triple jump and a bunch of posing..lol I guess the judges were so taken in by the sexy costume that they forgot about her empty program..lol :)

FreeKatie

On the Ice
equestrianguy said:
After watching "Olympic Ice" the other day when they showed Katarina Witt's 88 gold medal performance...that statement "sexy sells" is all too true. Since all she did was one triple jump and a bunch of posing..lol I guess the judges were so taken in by the sexy costume that they forgot about her empty program..lol :)

That was so funny, especially Katarina's comments about herself "why do I look like I'm about to go to sleep?" and "why am I skating so slow"

Frau Muller

Final Flight
FreeKatie said:
.....he also compared him [Plush] to someone...was it Fred Astaire? !

Yes -- Dick compared Plush to Astaire (to which I agree)! Dick has always been high on Pluschenko, except for the comment about Nijinsky coming out of his grave if he knew about the Nijinsky LP a couple of years ago!

I believe that Dick had to do a little 'trash-talking' about Plushenko only to appease the idiots sitting beside him in the commentating booth, who have always had it out against Russian skaters of any kind. In other words, Dick wanted to get out of the booth alive. :p

Jasper

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
Yes -- Dick compared Plush to Astaire (to which I agree)! Dick has always been high on Pluschenko, except for the comment about Nijinsky coming out of his grave if he knew about the Nijinsky LP a couple of years ago!

I believe that Dick had to do a little 'trash-talking' about Plushenko only to appease the idiots sitting beside him in the commentating booth, who have always had it out against Russian skaters of any kind. In other words, Dick wanted to get out of the booth alive. :p

I think Dick was just being honest. He's always been a fan of complete, artistic programs and those are not the programs that Plushenko delivers. And Scott Hamilton was praising Plushenko like crazy after his just-decent short, then finally he came to his senses after the just-decent LP and noted that Plushenko was severley lacking in choreography. I don't think any of the commentators sounded biased, they made fair and objective comments.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Now, don't accuse Dick of being mealy mouthed or a hypocrite. In the 44 years that Button has been commentating, I don't think he has ever been known to hold back on his true opinion. You should check out Button's commentating the Cirque program at the GPF in 2001 (?).

Button has had many things to say about Plushenko's "applied" arm movements. I don't see how anyone could take Plushy's flailing frenzies seriously. He is a great athlete and deserved his win. However, IMO, Plushenko has the worst arms of any male champion that I have seen. Even the old stiff armed approach was better than all that flapping.

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
equestrianguy said:
Confidence is sexy and sexy sells!

After watching "Olympic Ice" the other day when they showed Katarina Witt's 88 gold medal performance...that statement "sexy sells" is all too true. Since all she did was one triple jump and a bunch of posing..lol I guess the judges were so taken in by the sexy costume that they forgot about her empty program..lol :)[/QUOTE]

How many women back in 1988 do you think were capable of landing triple jumps? It was a different era & replaying Kat's win was a great example of how womens skating has evolved over the years. I will say, however, that no woman since has been able to portray a character on ice to match Katerina. (I tho't that Katerina landed a triple salchow & a triple toe but doubled her triple loop?)

Jasper

Final Flight
merrywidow said:
How many women back in 1988 do you think were capable of landing triple jumps? It was a different era & replaying Kat's win was a great example of how womens skating has evolved over the years. I will say, however, that no woman since has been able to portray a character on ice to match Katerina. (I tho't that Katerina landed a triple salchow & a triple toe but doubled her triple loop?)

That was the first time I had seen a woman's skate from the 80's and I was shocked. Skating sure has changed and evolved, as you said. The speed, the jumps, everything. Katarina barely made it around the rink once, I think. But she did interpret the music and played a character nicely.