Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canadians give cudos to NBC

Custom Title

Canadians give cudos to NBC

Some Canadians think that NBC beats CBC. I am glad to be viewing the Olympics on NBC

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2...43871-sun.html

Custom Title
    "NBC deserves gold for capturing drama"

You can have your drama. I'll take live skating. Thanks anyway.

Custom Title
    well some of us work during the day.. live coverage will do me no good whatsover..still would be taped.

regardless or drama or no drama, I know I got to see nearly all of top 10 pairs in the short while CBC had half as much coverage. Even the amazing I&B performance didn't make it to CBC. NBC rocks!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    regardless or drama or no drama, I know I got to see nearly all of top 10 pairs in the short while CBC had half as much coverage. Even the amazing I&B performance didn't make it to CBC. NBC rocks!
    Yes, but how many programs did NBC show for the pairs LP? CBC showed 12.
    It's six of one, a half dozen of the other. The fact remains that anybody that is home during the day can watch live skating on CBC. People that only get NBC don't have that option. Choice is always a good thing IMO.

Custom Title
    Yeah, well I got to see the entire field in the pairs LP on CBC — so there!
    And my chocolate cookie is bigger than yours, too! LOL
    Actually, I do think NBC has had decent coverage so far of the figure skating - though I'm still waiting for the horror of fluff that will no doubt be the ladies. On the whole though, I have to say I'm a fan of CBC's Olympic coverage.

On the Ice
    CBC has sooo been there and done that.

All the pieces that the article mentioned such as about the fall of TOT/MAR and Bin Yao, cbc has already commented on them mooooonths ago. Regarding the fall I think the media should stop bringing it up. The athletes are traumatized enough. I'm sure that tot/mar don't want to be remembered as "that OGM pair team that got dropped on the head". With regards to Bin Yao, i agree that cbc commentators should have at least mentioned his coaching accomplishment, at least once (which they didn't in the LP if IRC). On the other hand, I think Z/Z 's fall probably interrupted Underhill and Martini and they just forgot to compliment Bin Yao on the accomplishment of the whole Chinese team.

Overall, I agree with Shmuzzy, I'd rather have live skating of many many teams than a whole bunch of fluff.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rain
    Yeah, well I got to see the entire field in the pairs LP on CBC — so there!
    And my chocolate cookie is bigger than yours, too! LOL
    Actually, I do think NBC has had decent coverage so far of the figure skating - though I'm still waiting for the horror of fluff that will no doubt be the ladies. On the whole though, I have to say I'm a fan of CBC's Olympic coverage.
    I didn't get home from work in time to watch it on French CBC, but I really didn't have a burning desire to see the bottom half of the draw anyway. I wanted to see Dube and Davison the most so I got my wish.

On the Ice
    Shmuzzy, around what time does French CBC broadcast the skating? Is it live, similar to eng cbc or is it tape delayed ala nbc?

ETA: Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by missBella; 02-15-2006 at 11:44 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by missBella
    Shmuzzy, around what time does French CBC broadcast the skating? Is it live, similar to eng cbc or is it tape delayed ala nbc?
    Well I haven't managed to actually see it with my own eyes yet, but from what I understand from the TV listings (with my rusty French), the men's LP is going to be live on CBLFT sometime after 12 noon eastern. English CBC is showing the Canada-Germany hockey game at 2 PM so you won't be seeing any skating on there until 6 PM.

Custom Title
    CBC's coverage has definitely not been up to their usual standard. I try to tape the afternoon coverage, and watch that in coordination with the NBC coverage to make sure I don't miss anything.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mike79
    CBC's coverage has definitely not been up to their usual standard. I try to tape the afternoon coverage, and watch that in coordination with the NBC coverage to make sure I don't miss anything.
    I think you're right. I think they are really cheaping out this year. What's with Brian Williams not getting to go to Torino? It's crazy! If my tax dollars are going to subsidize the station then I want Brian on location! The whole 6 hour time thing has definitely been a big change compared to SLC as well. It has really hampered production. All the events are over by dinnertime whereas in SLC everything was in primetime. What nerve the Olympic committee has in ruining it for the North American viewers! I guess I just find it hard to watch "choppy" coverage of skating when a month ago I was watching hours and hours of uninterrrupted live Canadian and American Nats. It was bliss!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    Some Canadians think that NBC beats CBC. I am glad to be viewing the Olympics on NBC

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2...43871-sun.html

You have GOT to be kidding me. CBC beats NBC hands down. I can't stand watching the Olympics coverage on NBC - it's all pro American and all over the map as far as viewing goes. The figure skating is chopped up into bits and pieces and far too much time is spent on athletes personal lives.

If Canadians want a little more background on the athletes they they should also be turning to channel 26 which is also part of CBC. They are featuring different Canadian athletes past and present - tonights show was about Elizabeth Mannley. The other night Toller Cranston was featured.

The CBC has always given great Olympic coverage and especially figure skating coverage. I much prefer Paul Martini and Barb Underhill to Dick Button, Peggy Flemming and I hate to say this Sandra Bezic (I guess she is an American now).

Come on Canada where is your loyalty? We want Canada to do well at the Olympics, we can at least support our own tv broadcasts for heaven's sake!!!

Rogue Leader
    NBC may be pro-American, but CBC is equally pro-Canadian. All broadcasters seem to suffer national favouritism. I'm glad I can see both networks. CBC really ticked me off whith their SP coverage for pairs. They kept cutting back to hockey. It was a women's hockey match, where Canada trounced Italy 16-0. Who wants to see that?! Men's won't be shown live on CBC today due to a round-robin hockey game. I think it is obvious where CBC's priorities lay. NBC is covering a lot of skaters, but they really like to drag their tape-delayed coverage out. I don't have the energy to stay up and watch it all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    You have GOT to be kidding me. CBC beats NBC hands down. I can't stand watching the Olympics coverage on NBC - it's all pro American and all over the map as far as viewing goes. The figure skating is chopped up into bits and pieces and far too much time is spent on athletes personal lives.
    Yes you're right Lad, but this year seems to be different. CBC is not up to their usual standard. Plus, the bickering between Button and Bezic is hilarious.

Medalist
    CBC has not been up to par. Of course, this is due a lot to the budget cutbacks and funding cutbacks by the government. I understand, but part of me wishes for the old days when we'd get WHOLE coverage of the events. Even pretty much all of the Compulsory ice dance competition.

But I guess they figure they'll get more viewers with Hockey than with figure skating! What idiots!

There was an article in the National Post - canadian paper - with the same kind of attitude. NBC's coverage rocks, compared to CBC. But I don't buy it. I think the only part that is good about NBC is the amount of time they give to figure skating. However they've pretty much taken every solid commentator and put them on tv. Most of the people there are Canadians!

I think it's quite sad. But when NBC is such a deep pocket, they can afford to do the things they do.

I still like CBC coverage because they usually cover the unknowns. Well, usually. This year not so much. But still.

I think pretty much almost every American commentator is irritating. There's a thread for Bezic's screwups. Well, how about Dick Button? He goes on and on about stuff and it's more like, 'Thank you Cpt. Obvious!'.

All in all, I'd rather have my coverage with my Canadian commentators - not necessarily Underhill/Martini, as they've really been upstaged (for me anyways) by Tracey Wilson. I love to hear her comments. And don't forget Debbie Wilkes.

Just put them on and let them yap all day. I wouldn't mind. Maybe stick in a little Kurt and we've got a loverly group. I actually don't mind Bezic. And I've not heard Sale/Pelletier at all.

CBC would still probably be tops except the fact that they haven't the money to afford the coverage. If they did, I'm sure they wouldn't marginalize figure skating just so they could get the hockey viewer's ratings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast