Canadians give cudos to NBC | Golden Skate

Canadians give cudos to NBC

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
"NBC deserves gold for capturing drama"

You can have your drama. I'll take live skating. Thanks anyway.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
well some of us work during the day.. live coverage will do me no good whatsover..still would be taped.

regardless or drama or no drama, I know I got to see nearly all of top 10 pairs in the short while CBC had half as much coverage. Even the amazing I&B performance didn't make it to CBC. NBC rocks!

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:
regardless or drama or no drama, I know I got to see nearly all of top 10 pairs in the short while CBC had half as much coverage. Even the amazing I&B performance didn't make it to CBC. NBC rocks!

Yes, but how many programs did NBC show for the pairs LP? CBC showed 12.
It's six of one, a half dozen of the other. The fact remains that anybody that is home during the day can watch live skating on CBC. People that only get NBC don't have that option. Choice is always a good thing IMO.

rain

Record Breaker
Yeah, well I got to see the entire field in the pairs LP on CBC — so there!
And my chocolate cookie is bigger than yours, too! LOL
Actually, I do think NBC has had decent coverage so far of the figure skating - though I'm still waiting for the horror of fluff that will no doubt be the ladies. On the whole though, I have to say I'm a fan of CBC's Olympic coverage.

missBella

Rinkside
CBC has sooo been there and done that.

All the pieces that the article mentioned such as about the fall of TOT/MAR and Bin Yao, cbc has already commented on them mooooonths ago. Regarding the fall I think the media should stop bringing it up. The athletes are traumatized enough. I'm sure that tot/mar don't want to be remembered as "that OGM pair team that got dropped on the head". With regards to Bin Yao, i agree that cbc commentators should have at least mentioned his coaching accomplishment, at least once (which they didn't in the LP if IRC). On the other hand, I think Z/Z 's fall probably interrupted Underhill and Martini and they just forgot to compliment Bin Yao on the accomplishment of the whole Chinese team.

Overall, I agree with Shmuzzy, I'd rather have live skating of many many teams than a whole bunch of fluff.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
rain said:
Yeah, well I got to see the entire field in the pairs LP on CBC — so there!
And my chocolate cookie is bigger than yours, too! LOL
Actually, I do think NBC has had decent coverage so far of the figure skating - though I'm still waiting for the horror of fluff that will no doubt be the ladies. On the whole though, I have to say I'm a fan of CBC's Olympic coverage.

I didn't get home from work in time to watch it on French CBC, but I really didn't have a burning desire to see the bottom half of the draw anyway. I wanted to see Dube and Davison the most so I got my wish.

missBella

Rinkside
Shmuzzy, around what time does French CBC broadcast the skating? Is it live, similar to eng cbc or is it tape delayed ala nbc?

ETA: Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
missBella said:
Shmuzzy, around what time does French CBC broadcast the skating? Is it live, similar to eng cbc or is it tape delayed ala nbc?

Well I haven't managed to actually see it with my own eyes yet, but from what I understand from the TV listings (with my rusty French), the men's LP is going to be live on CBLFT sometime after 12 noon eastern. English CBC is showing the Canada-Germany hockey game at 2 PM so you won't be seeing any skating on there until 6 PM.

mike79

On the Ice
CBC's coverage has definitely not been up to their usual standard. I try to tape the afternoon coverage, and watch that in coordination with the NBC coverage to make sure I don't miss anything.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
mike79 said:
CBC's coverage has definitely not been up to their usual standard. I try to tape the afternoon coverage, and watch that in coordination with the NBC coverage to make sure I don't miss anything.

I think you're right. I think they are really cheaping out this year. What's with Brian Williams not getting to go to Torino? It's crazy! If my tax dollars are going to subsidize the station then I want Brian on location! :laugh: The whole 6 hour time thing has definitely been a big change compared to SLC as well. It has really hampered production. All the events are over by dinnertime whereas in SLC everything was in primetime. What nerve the Olympic committee has in ruining it for the North American viewers!:rofl: I guess I just find it hard to watch "choppy" coverage of skating when a month ago I was watching hours and hours of uninterrrupted live Canadian and American Nats. It was bliss!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
Some Canadians think that NBC beats CBC. I am glad to be viewing the Olympics on NBC :clap:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2006Turin/News/2006/02/15/1443871-sun.html

You have GOT to be kidding me. CBC beats NBC hands down. I can't stand watching the Olympics coverage on NBC - it's all pro American and all over the map as far as viewing goes. The figure skating is chopped up into bits and pieces and far too much time is spent on athletes personal lives.

If Canadians want a little more background on the athletes they they should also be turning to channel 26 which is also part of CBC. They are featuring different Canadian athletes past and present - tonights show was about Elizabeth Mannley. The other night Toller Cranston was featured.

The CBC has always given great Olympic coverage and especially figure skating coverage. I much prefer Paul Martini and Barb Underhill to Dick Button, Peggy Flemming and I hate to say this Sandra Bezic (I guess she is an American now).

Come on Canada where is your loyalty? We want Canada to do well at the Olympics, we can at least support our own tv broadcasts for heaven's sake!!!

Antilles

Medalist
NBC may be pro-American, but CBC is equally pro-Canadian. All broadcasters seem to suffer national favouritism. I'm glad I can see both networks. CBC really ticked me off whith their SP coverage for pairs. They kept cutting back to hockey. It was a women's hockey match, where Canada trounced Italy 16-0. Who wants to see that?! Men's won't be shown live on CBC today due to a round-robin hockey game. I think it is obvious where CBC's priorities lay. NBC is covering a lot of skaters, but they really like to drag their tape-delayed coverage out. I don't have the energy to stay up and watch it all.

mike79

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
You have GOT to be kidding me. CBC beats NBC hands down. I can't stand watching the Olympics coverage on NBC - it's all pro American and all over the map as far as viewing goes. The figure skating is chopped up into bits and pieces and far too much time is spent on athletes personal lives.

Yes you're right Lad, but this year seems to be different. CBC is not up to their usual standard. Plus, the bickering between Button and Bezic is hilarious.

jayta

Rinkside
CBC has not been up to par. Of course, this is due a lot to the budget cutbacks and funding cutbacks by the government. I understand, but part of me wishes for the old days when we'd get WHOLE coverage of the events. Even pretty much all of the Compulsory ice dance competition.

But I guess they figure they'll get more viewers with Hockey than with figure skating! What idiots!

There was an article in the National Post - canadian paper - with the same kind of attitude. NBC's coverage rocks, compared to CBC. But I don't buy it. I think the only part that is good about NBC is the amount of time they give to figure skating. However they've pretty much taken every solid commentator and put them on tv. Most of the people there are Canadians!

I think it's quite sad. But when NBC is such a deep pocket, they can afford to do the things they do.

I still like CBC coverage because they usually cover the unknowns. Well, usually. This year not so much. But still.

I think pretty much almost every American commentator is irritating. There's a thread for Bezic's screwups. Well, how about Dick Button? He goes on and on about stuff and it's more like, 'Thank you Cpt. Obvious!'.

All in all, I'd rather have my coverage with my Canadian commentators - not necessarily Underhill/Martini, as they've really been upstaged (for me anyways) by Tracey Wilson. I love to hear her comments. And don't forget Debbie Wilkes.

Just put them on and let them yap all day. I wouldn't mind. Maybe stick in a little Kurt and we've got a loverly group. I actually don't mind Bezic. And I've not heard Sale/Pelletier at all.

CBC would still probably be tops except the fact that they haven't the money to afford the coverage. If they did, I'm sure they wouldn't marginalize figure skating just so they could get the hockey viewer's ratings.

Saundy

On the Ice
Well I know one thing...I am DREADING when CTV/TSN gets the Olympics in 2010 because Rod Black irritates the life out of me! :mad:

jayta

Rinkside
I'm with you there!!!!! But the plus will be thta we will have Tracy Wilson and Debbie Wilkes. Maybe they'll be smart and *runs finger across throat* Roddie genius baby Black :p

I can't stand him either. The dude doesn't know what he's talking about! I know he's picked up a lot since he started, but man, his comments are inane at best.

ildah

Rinkside
Tracy Wilson is leaving NBC to join CTV in 2010??!!!!

Mark me down as a Canadian who loved NBC coverage. Only downside was the lateness of the coverage. I think CBC, knowing they don't have the Olympics in 2010, kind of was a bit "off". I really did like hearing Lori Nichol do a post mortem after the FS events on CBC, and I would watch the programs earlier on CBC to find out the result, then watch NBC to see their production, which I preferred.

I think a lot of the CBC commentators will now be scrambling to get hired by CTV for Vancouver. Not only was CBC not smart enough to hire Sale and Pelletier, they didn't even interview them in Torino (although to be fair, maybe S/P were too busy, or, not allowed to) Talk about NBC seeing the potential of these two. We missed a real treat here in Canada by not getting Olympic Ice.

Even in the closing ceremonies, which I had seen twice (bits of) before I watched the NBC coverage, there was no comment as the white (styrofoam)blocks were being assembled during the little 'intro to Vancouver' show, but during the NBC coverage, right away the commentator said "Looks like they're building the official 2010 symbol out of ice blocks". Right away it was like "lightbulb on".... oh, cool!! But during the CBC coverage I was like "hmm, wonder what that's all about" (yes, I did get it eventually!)

It was a whole bunch of little things like that, that I liked. And NBC covered other countries and athletes superbly too.

Antilles

Medalist
Tracy Wilson normally works for CTV, so she will probably commentate for them in 2010, if she's still under contract. Barb Underhill has already changed skating networks once. I doubt it will happen again. Besides, CBC will still have Grand Prix and Worlds coverage in 2010. (I think the contract goes at least until then).

I think CBC was hit and miss with coverage for skating. For the pairs and women's LPs, they were great. For most everyhting else, they showed too little. I was actually thrilled when the men's hockey team lost. I wanted to hear about other sports, instead of seeing the same games televised three times.
still can't believe Brian Williams wasn't even in Torino. I am looking forward to CTV's coverage for a change.

NBC did show a lot of skaters, but I am surprised at how late they showed them. I know they wanted to end their programs with the higlights of the night, but it meant their biggest coverage happened after prime time had ended. That probably hurt their ratings.