quads: questions and hypotheticals | Golden Skate

quads: questions and hypotheticals

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
it seems every new generation of skaters pushes the limits even farther. do you think we will ever see a quad flip, lutz, *gasp* (doubtfully) axel, or loop in are time? do you think any of the current skaters are on the circuit are capable of accomplishing that feat? also... why does it seem like men always go for the quad toe as their main quad while women who attempt the quad (like sasha, and successfully, miki) go for the quad sal? any input?

CDMM1991

Medalist
I read once in a pretty reliable skating book that Brian Joubert was landing quad flips, in addition to quad toes and sals, in practice. The book is fairly outdated so I'm not sure if this is still the truth, but at this point I think Brian is the most likely candidate to push the envelope on the quads.

I always felt that Elvis Stojko would have been capable of a quad flip or lutz, not loop or sal because his edge jumps were not his strongest, but definitely flip or lutz. I think he said he was training them at some point as well. The problem is we will very rarely get to see these jumps from the top skaters because it seems that an 80-90% success rate is necessary to put it into the program.

There was a video of Mao floating around in the summer trying (and I believe landing one?) quad loops. They weren't fully rotated, but her triple loop is so strong, I wouldn't put it past her.

Miki won't be pushing the envelope anytime soon. Her quad sal was never fully rotated, so I don't think she can push it in any farther until she gets that under control, which she can't work on until anything else is consistent.

I could see Yoshie Onda being able to do a quad sal or toe, because of the incredible spring she gets on her jumps. She was landing the triple axel at about half consistency at one point so she is obviously ready to push the envelope.

Shiz won't. She doesn't always have full rotation on her triples, so she would have to get that a lot more solid first, before she started working on quads.