Cohen avoiding the press | Golden Skate

Cohen avoiding the press

R.D.

Record Breaker

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
At this point she probably just wants to focus on her skating. One can hardly blame her. Who wants to be training in the middle of a media circus?

millie

Medalist
Good for Sasha. Stay away form the media and don't get youself in trouble with words. That serves them right for the way they have been treating her. She should have told them to take their microphone and shove it.

brinababy87

Rinkside
Why did the press travel to the private rink? Didn't she go there to get privacy from them? She will have to return to the Palavela this weekend, where they will have plenty opportunity to report on her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
brinababy87 said:
Why did the press travel to the private rink? Didn't she go there to get privacy from them? She will have to return to the Palavela this weekend, where they will have plenty opportunity to report on her.

According to the first article, there was supposed to be some kind of "media day" for both of them, which in the end only involved Meissner.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Are these media days arranged by the skaters, the USFS, or the IOC? Nice to hear Kimmie handling herself so well.:agree:

CDMM1991

Medalist
I think both Kimmie and Sasha are handling their Olympic experiences perfectly. This is Sasha's Olympics to compete. Last time around, she went to the opening ceremonies, chatted with the president, and had a great time. This time around she's here to be on the podium. If not talking to reporters helps her in that pursuit, then so be it. As for Kimmie, she can worry about the gold in 2010, and worry about having fun and shopping with Katie Couric now. So far, she has seemed like a class act, and has been working hard, while still have fun. Kudos to both of these ladies, who have both handled themselves beautifully in a time when I'm sure it was hard to.

cianni

On the Ice
????

Might be a mistake to snub the media. They tend to be kind to the friendly gracious skaters. If Sasha wins they will be all over her however if she doesnt they will rip her apart. Its like dont bite the hand that feeds you. This might come back to bite her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
cianni said:
Might be a mistake to snub the media. They tend to be kind to the friendly gracious skaters. If Sasha wins they will be all over her however if she doesnt they will rip her apart. Its like dont bite the hand that feeds you. This might come back to bite her.

I was also thinking along these lines. However, I get the impression she doesn't really care as long as she does her best and wins the OGM.

sk8rmommy

Rinkside
A Toronto paper reported that Joannie Rochette will not be doing anymore interviews either at least until after the competition...seems like a common strategy.

Gatzbee

Rinkside
i think this is incredibly smart of her. she knows she's favored for a medal and is def. on par with slutskaya to win the gold. she's focusing on herself and her skating which will be beneficial to her IMO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
And to boot, we haven't heard so much as a peep from the other skaters.

What would happen if the entire ladies comp turned out to be a splat-fest? That would really be funny...

Kimmie seems to be the only skater that doesn't seem to mind the press. In a way, that makes me like her a little more. Not to take away anything from the other ladies, who I'm sure don't mean ill and just don't want any distractions.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
How much time does an interview take...an hour at most? How can that take away from training? Face it the questions aren't difficult, they are allowed to sit so it's not physically or mentally taxing, LOL. Cohen is a media pro and could have handled this easily.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
How much time does an interview take...an hour at most? How can that take away from training? Face it the questions aren't difficult, they are allowed to sit so it's not physically or mentally taxing, LOL. Cohen is a media pro and could have handled this easily.

Umm...I beg to differ. Try going up there having a bunch of questions (mostly about your competitor who isn't even there anymore) thrown at you. You'll only be reminded of how much pressure is on you and how much is at stake. I can't see how it could possibly help the skaters. It certainly can't help one if one is getting ready for a high-stakes competition. And this happens only at the Olympics...they don't deal with this level of press before Worlds.

Enero

On the Ice
I say good for Cohen. Sounds like she's doing what's best for her not what the media wants.

I'm sure the media didn't have anything interesting to ask her anyway, and would only continue to harp on how Kwan's withdrawal is affecting her approach to the competition. They'll get more than enough access to her once she returns to Turin to practice. So I don't blame her for keeping to herself right now.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Thanks for the links, Red Dog. I've enjoyed ladies' figure skating for 40 years. Right now, Kimmie is my girl - greatest thing since sliced bread. Love her positive outlook and her combination of strong athletics and sublime grace.
Just remember - anything with Kimmie's name on it , I want to see.

Gimmie Kimmie!! :clap: :clap: :clap: