Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 83

Thread: Cohen avoiding the press

  1. #16
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    And to boot, we haven't heard so much as a peep from the other skaters.

    What would happen if the entire ladies comp turned out to be a splat-fest? That would really be funny...

    Kimmie seems to be the only skater that doesn't seem to mind the press. In a way, that makes me like her a little more. Not to take away anything from the other ladies, who I'm sure don't mean ill and just don't want any distractions.

  2. #17
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    How much time does an interview take...an hour at most? How can that take away from training? Face it the questions aren't difficult, they are allowed to sit so it's not physically or mentally taxing, LOL. Cohen is a media pro and could have handled this easily.

  3. #18
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    How much time does an interview take...an hour at most? How can that take away from training? Face it the questions aren't difficult, they are allowed to sit so it's not physically or mentally taxing, LOL. Cohen is a media pro and could have handled this easily.
    Umm...I beg to differ. Try going up there having a bunch of questions (mostly about your competitor who isn't even there anymore) thrown at you. You'll only be reminded of how much pressure is on you and how much is at stake. I can't see how it could possibly help the skaters. It certainly can't help one if one is getting ready for a high-stakes competition. And this happens only at the Olympics...they don't deal with this level of press before Worlds.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    174
    I say good for Cohen. Sounds like she's doing what's best for her not what the media wants.

    I'm sure the media didn't have anything interesting to ask her anyway, and would only continue to harp on how Kwan's withdrawal is affecting her approach to the competition. They'll get more than enough access to her once she returns to Turin to practice. So I don't blame her for keeping to herself right now.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Whittier, NC
    Posts
    337
    Thanks for the links, Red Dog. I've enjoyed ladies' figure skating for 40 years. Right now, Kimmie is my girl - greatest thing since sliced bread. Love her positive outlook and her combination of strong athletics and sublime grace.
    Just remember - anything with Kimmie's name on it , I want to see.

    Gimmie Kimmie!!

  6. #21
    Tripping on the Podium Jennifer Lyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Apparently she is avoiding the media now. I don't know if all the Michelle questions were the last straw, or whether she just wants to focus, or both. But, I say good. your opinion may vary.

    Cohen and Meissner were at the same rink, but Cohen left as soon as the reporters came, and Kimmie stayed behind to talk to them.

    two articles:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...oly&id=2332895

    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...orts-headlines
    Plushenko avoided the press until after he finished competing. Some of the other skaters have done likewise. For the most part, they seem to be doing it in order to stay focused.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Umm...I beg to differ. Try going up there having a bunch of questions (mostly about your competitor who isn't even there anymore) thrown at you. You'll only be reminded of how much pressure is on you and how much is at stake. I can't see how it could possibly help the skaters. It certainly can't help one if one is getting ready for a high-stakes competition. And this happens only at the Olympics...they don't deal with this level of press before Worlds.
    You're right, Red Dog but these 3 girls are acting like a team. I think they are supportive of each other and I'm very happy about that.
    I thought Kimmie's answer about Emily's arrival was great. The press can ask such stupid questions sometimes and they do their best to create controversy in everything.
    Last edited by Peggy; 02-17-2006 at 02:35 AM.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Apparently she is avoiding the media now. I don't know if all the Michelle questions were the last straw, or whether she just wants to focus, or both. But, I say good. your opinion may vary.

    Cohen and Meissner were at the same rink, but Cohen left as soon as the reporters came, and Kimmie stayed behind to talk to them.

    two articles:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...oly&id=2332895

    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...orts-headlines
    Sounds like Cohen learned the winning strategy from Plushenko and his coach.

    Vash

  9. #24
    In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle at last!!!
    Posts
    2,884
    Good for Evgeny, Sasha, and Joannie. I hope this catches on and maybe the media blitz will be a little less intrusive in '10. I mean, it's not like we're going to miss out on any spectacular quotations or anything; it's the same old stupid questions and same old trite answers every 4 years. (Well, except for Weir, but he hardly kept his mouth shut, did he?)

  10. #25
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    Good for Evgeny, Sasha, and Joannie. I hope this catches on and maybe the media blitz will be a little less intrusive in '10. I mean, it's not like we're going to miss out on any spectacular quotations or anything; it's the same old stupid questions and same old trite answers every 4 years. (Well, except for Weir, but he hardly kept his mouth shut, did he?)
    yes...exactly...exactly what else could they say that would be earth-shattering, especially at this point? Maybe after the competition they might say something of value, but I can't think of anything.

  11. #26
    Skater Girl
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    That deserves more than a mere

    No - it deserves lots of these: :chorus: :D

  12. #27
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by cianni
    Might be a mistake to snub the media. They tend to be kind to the friendly gracious skaters. If Sasha wins they will be all over her however if she doesnt they will rip her apart. Its like dont bite the hand that feeds you. This might come back to bite her.
    Why would they rip apart if you gets a medal? I would have thought a medal of any colour is good...especially if the Ladeis competition turns out to the slaptfest the men's was!

    Ant

  13. #28
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Sasha is copying Michelle's style off the ice-Secrecy! No long looking for publicity. A serious competitor now.

    Many posters resented MK's penchant for being secretive. Does that hold for Sasha too?

    Joe

  14. #29
    Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Sasha is copying Michelle's style off the ice-Secrecy! No long looking for publicity. A serious competitor now.

    Many posters resented MK's penchant for being secretive. Does that hold for Sasha too?

    Joe

    Probably not, Joe. Nothing against Sasha because she can't control what the press says, but after all the crap Michelle took in Nagano because she didn't march in the opening ceremonies, or enjoy the "whole Olympic experience", it speaks volumes to me that there has been no such outrage with Sasha.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    281

    Ans.

    The media is not very kind and what I meant was if Sasha avoids them and doesnt win they will be more harsh then they may have been. If she does win they will gush and all that stuff. The media is expecting a clean sp and fs and for her to finally win a big one. She may not be on the podium who knows the mens were sure a surprise.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •