Cohen avoiding the press | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cohen avoiding the press

Jennifer Lyon

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Apparently she is avoiding the media now. I don't know if all the Michelle questions were the last straw, or whether she just wants to focus, or both. But, I say good. your opinion may vary.

Cohen and Meissner were at the same rink, but Cohen left as soon as the reporters came, and Kimmie stayed behind to talk to them.

two articles:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=2332895

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...216,0,5217751.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

Plushenko avoided the press until after he finished competing. Some of the other skaters have done likewise. For the most part, they seem to be doing it in order to stay focused.

Peggy

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Umm...I beg to differ. Try going up there having a bunch of questions (mostly about your competitor who isn't even there anymore) thrown at you. You'll only be reminded of how much pressure is on you and how much is at stake. I can't see how it could possibly help the skaters. It certainly can't help one if one is getting ready for a high-stakes competition. And this happens only at the Olympics...they don't deal with this level of press before Worlds.

You're right, Red Dog but these 3 girls are acting like a team. I think they are supportive of each other and I'm very happy about that.
I thought Kimmie's answer about Emily's arrival was great. The press can ask such stupid questions sometimes and they do their best to create controversy in everything.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Apparently she is avoiding the media now. I don't know if all the Michelle questions were the last straw, or whether she just wants to focus, or both. But, I say good. your opinion may vary.

Cohen and Meissner were at the same rink, but Cohen left as soon as the reporters came, and Kimmie stayed behind to talk to them.

two articles:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=2332895

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...216,0,5217751.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

Sounds like Cohen learned the winning strategy from Plushenko and his coach. :)

Vash

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Good for Evgeny, Sasha, and Joannie. I hope this catches on and maybe the media blitz will be a little less intrusive in '10. I mean, it's not like we're going to miss out on any spectacular quotations or anything; it's the same old stupid questions and same old trite answers every 4 years. (Well, except for Weir, but he hardly kept his mouth shut, did he?)

R.D.

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
Good for Evgeny, Sasha, and Joannie. I hope this catches on and maybe the media blitz will be a little less intrusive in '10. I mean, it's not like we're going to miss out on any spectacular quotations or anything; it's the same old stupid questions and same old trite answers every 4 years. (Well, except for Weir, but he hardly kept his mouth shut, did he?)

yes...exactly...exactly what else could they say that would be earth-shattering, especially at this point? Maybe after the competition they might say something of value, but I can't think of anything.

antmanb

Record Breaker
cianni said:
Might be a mistake to snub the media. They tend to be kind to the friendly gracious skaters. If Sasha wins they will be all over her however if she doesnt they will rip her apart. Its like dont bite the hand that feeds you. This might come back to bite her.

Why would they rip apart if you gets a medal? I would have thought a medal of any colour is good...especially if the Ladeis competition turns out to the slaptfest the men's was!

Ant

Sasha is copying Michelle's style off the ice-Secrecy! No long looking for publicity. A serious competitor now.

Many posters resented MK's penchant for being secretive. Does that hold for Sasha too?

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Sasha is copying Michelle's style off the ice-Secrecy! No long looking for publicity. A serious competitor now.

Many posters resented MK's penchant for being secretive. Does that hold for Sasha too?

Joe

Probably not, Joe. Nothing against Sasha because she can't control what the press says, but after all the crap Michelle took in Nagano because she didn't march in the opening ceremonies, or enjoy the "whole Olympic experience", it speaks volumes to me that there has been no such outrage with Sasha.

cianni

On the Ice
Ans.

The media is not very kind and what I meant was if Sasha avoids them and doesnt win they will be more harsh then they may have been. If she does win they will gush and all that stuff. The media is expecting a clean sp and fs and for her to finally win a big one. She may not be on the podium who knows the mens were sure a surprise.

Well, you have to look at it from the unfortunate reporter's point of view. Here I am, a poor ink-stained wretch, assigned to write a story about figure skating (argh -- my career as a journalist is over!). I'm staring at a blank page. OMG, the deadline is in 15 minutes and I've got diddly.

I know, I'll stalk Sasha Cohen! Maybe I can get her to say, "I will try to skate my best," or something.

MM :)

nymkfan51 said:
Probably not, Joe. Nothing against Sasha because she can't control what the press says, but after all the crap Michelle took in Nagano because she didn't march in the opening ceremonies, or enjoy the "whole Olympic experience", it speaks volumes to me that there has been no such outrage with Sasha.
Easy nymkfan51 - There is a poster here who thinks discussing Nagano requires the poster to go into therapy.

The bottom line, Sasha is aping Michelle. Nothing wrong with that but after all the flack MK gets for being secretive, it seems it is ok to be secretive because Sasha is being exactly that.

Joe

sk8addict

On the Ice
skating fan?

Red Dog said:
And to boot, we haven't heard so much as a peep from the other skaters.

What would happen if the entire ladies comp turned out to be a splat-fest? That would really be funny...

Kimmie seems to be the only skater that doesn't seem to mind the press. In a way, that makes me like her a little more. Not to take away anything from the other ladies, who I'm sure don't mean ill and just don't want any distractions.
So..you think a slpatfest in women's would be funny? You should be ashmed of yourself. It makes me think you are not really a skating fan at all.

R.D.

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:

Really? That's very odd...but I think MK has once again overshadowed anything having to do with Cohen right now. News of her withdrawal was more important at the time than attending SC's press conference once she arrived. There was too much attention on MK to even worry about Cohen.

R.D.

Record Breaker
sk8addict said:
So..you think a slpatfest in women's would be funny? You should be ashmed of yourself. It makes me think you are not really a skating fan at all.

not in that sense...I mean funny in the "weird" way. I mean, think about it for a second. The majority of the ladies are refusing press interviews, etc. to concentrate on their skating. It would be something if this strategy backfired on some of them.

millie

Medalist
It could be that she was scared that noone would show up at the press conference again like the last time. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you. Just watched Kimmie's conference that happened the same time Sasha's was supposed to happen. Kimmie is a cheerful teenager.:)

Enero

On the Ice
nymkfan51 said:

I think that there hasn't been any "outrage" because this is not Sasha's first Olympics. She's been there, done that whole Olympic experience thing in SLC. Secondly, she doesn't have the hype that Michelle Kwan had in 98. In Nagano everyone thought that Michelle could do what Plushenko did this year, just stay on her feet and she'd win. She did that and still lost, so people started looking for the reason why. Hence she got slammed for being too focused etc., not enjoying the Olympics like Tara and thus wasn't able to just "let go" in the freeskate.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I think its a smart move by Sasha, I tend to get crabby so if I was trying to concentrate on something I had been striving years to get to and then I had to do interviews (where I was asked the same questions over and over again) several times a day, I would not be in a very good mood.

soogar

Record Breaker
Piel said:
How much time does an interview take...an hour at most? How can that take away from training? Face it the questions aren't difficult, they are allowed to sit so it's not physically or mentally taxing, LOL. Cohen is a media pro and could have handled this easily.

It's more taxing to make a statement in an interview and then worry about how people in the media and internet are going to interpret your statements. I don't blame Sasha for not wanting to talk to anyone.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Enero said:
I think that there hasn't been any "outrage" because this is not Sasha's first Olympics. She's been there, done that whole Olympic experience thing in SLC. Secondly, she doesn't have the hype that Michelle Kwan had in 98. In Nagano everyone thought that Michelle could do what Plushenko did this year, just stay on her feet and she'd win. She did that and still lost, so people started looking for the reason why. Hence she got slammed for being too focused etc., not enjoying the Olympics like Tara and thus wasn't able to just "let go" in the freeskate.

I'm glad you brought up SLC ... because neither Sasha or Sarah stayed there either. Both of them hightailed it out of town after the opening cermonies to train privately.
Again, I can't blame them about what the media says or doesn't say, but it does irk me that Michelle had to continually hear about it in Nagano. No one cut her a break at her 1st Olympics ... even though she stayed away till closer to the event to get some quality training in that she had missed because of the stress fracture in her foot. There just seems to be a different set of expectations where Michelle is concerned.
But then again, the press will only be kind to Sasha if she does well. God forbid she struggles and doesn't medal ... wait and see how they pounce on her then.
I hope for her sake that doesn't happen.
The media seems to take perverse pleasure in helping get someone to the top,
and then anxious to be the ones to knock them down.