Cohen avoiding the press | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Cohen avoiding the press

registered

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Because of the way it was said: she's not practicing AND THUS will not be available.

I think it was a good idea by her to refuse the press, however in my heart of hearts I felt that maybe it could have been done a little more tactfully. JMO, though. No use arguing the point. What's done is done.

That's fine, I've won't dream of venturing into your "heart of hearts." At least we got it clear that Sasha did notify the media about her not planning to give interviews. It got overlooked in the beginning of the thread.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, she got hurt more by the fact that everyone was told that "she wouldn't be there for practice" and then was there, than she would have been if she simply had not been there at all -- or, if she said something like "Look, I saw what happened to the other athletes who have the media covering them all the time; and I don't want it to happen to me."

registered

On the Ice
attyfan said:
IMO, she got hurt more by the fact that everyone was told that "she wouldn't be there for practice" and then was there, than she would have been if she simply had not been there at all -- or, if she said something like "Look, I saw what happened to the other athletes who have the media covering them all the time; and I don't want it to happen to me."

Oh, I don't think she got hurt at all. Anti-fans would bash her no matter what, one blurb in the press discribed her actions, as "giving meida a slip," while another journalist praised her, the third article was neutral. And no one would remember any of it tomorrow anyway.

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK, here's the deal in a nutshell.

Cohen wins the OGM (Red Dog's chance meter- 20%)- the episode will be quickly forgotten, and she'll be the media darling, the American princess, whatever you want to call her

Cohen does not win the OGM (Red Dog's chance meter - 80%)- she will likely be kicked down for doing what she did, and they'll say the method of training wasn't good enough, etc.

There shouldn't be any hard feelings, overall...one member of the press was on her side, even (the author of the article I posted above).

rob43

On the Ice
Red Dog- I agree 100%. The press basically declare the winner 100% correct and lacking all fault while skewering the runners-ups every moves (unless they overperfromed.) They also do not seem to know the leading women's tech content or the reality of this scoring system to save their lives (if I read on more thing about ladies consistantly reeling off multiple 3/3s and 3 axels I will scream.)

I remember Kwan once saying- winning simplifies everything and always though that quote was about the press. I think Sasha's press avoidance is actually very smart. They'll see her after the SP and LP, why give them the chance to build her up or tear her down beforehand just to adjust their opinion after the results.

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Wouldn't it be something if the ladies competition turns our like the mens. Who will the media turn to then?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hey Millie nobody will ever accuse those spotlight grabbing DD's:chorus: :chorus: :chorus: of avoiding the press will they?

I am thinking the only surprises nin skating could be a possible ice dance costume malfunction. Be warned if I have to see any of Babs Fusor-Poli's body parts I am suing NBC.

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Piel said:
Hey Millie nobody will ever accuse those spotlight grabbing DD's:chorus: :chorus: :chorus: of avoiding the press will they?

I am thinking the only surprises nin skating could be a possible ice dance costume malfunction. Be warned if I have to see any of Babs Fusor-Poli's body parts I am suing NBC.

Don't fret, they are looking for ice princesses not ice bergs.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Peggy

On the Ice
rob43 said:
They'll see her after the SP and LP, why give them the chance to build her up or tear her down beforehand just to adjust their opinion after the results.

I think is better to let their skating do the talking. Its more exciting to wait to see what the top ladies have in store for us and less nerve racking. We know what each of their strengths are so now it all depends on how good they beef up their weak points. Its smart to not lay all your cards on the table so the competition can study it.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
OK - I know, I know. This will sound boring, and probably harsh...

Piel said:
I still say time out for an interview is not going to effect an elite athlete especially if they are "answering the same old questions". Most normal people are quite capable of taking a break and then getting back on task. Do these atletes have ADD? In fact I would think it would be good for them to take some time from practice, practice, practice. If they don't have an Oly program ready by now it's never going to be ready. All that should be left to do at this time is fine tuning. Another point is that IMO accepting a postion on the Oly team should include being available for reasonable amounts of PR. Cohen usually shines under media attention so what's to fear? I think the same about any athlete that's there.

I'm curious about who participating in this thread actually competes in a sport? I'm not even talking about a "NBC Televised Sport." I'm talking about ANY sport where any kind of "spotlight" is involved. I am in an unknown sport (outside of those who are directly involved) but I can tell you for SURE that ouside pressure is real, and unwelcome. I can't even describe it without writing a novel. I hope whether you compete or not, you can find a way to put yourself, even minimally, in these athletes shoes.

What they do on the ice will be remembered LONG after how they handled the media. That doesn't make the media bad. Their job is to get a story, and it's OK for a "subject" to say no.

DG

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
I'm curious about who participating in this thread actually competes in a sport? I'm not even talking about a "NBC Televised Sport." I'm talking about ANY sport where any kind of "spotlight" is involved. I am in an unknown sport (outside of those who are directly involved) but I can tell you for SURE that ouside pressure is real, and unwelcome. I can't even describe it without writing a novel. I hope whether you compete or not, you can find a way to put yourself, even minimally, in these athletes shoes.

What they do on the ice will be remembered LONG after how they handled the media. That doesn't make the media bad. Their job is to get a story, and it's OK for a "subject" to say no.

DG

I don't play sports but I used to play piano and was forced to go play in recitals and tests and I hated it with a passion (not the piano, but being forced always to play in front of people as a child) I ended up quitting on the day of one of the tests because I refused to go and then my parents stopped sending me for lessons. So, I definitely give these skaters credit for having the guts to even get out there. I would not have the temperament to deal with press the way they all do so well, I'd be like Oksana Baiul storming off in a huff and then you'd all be writing about how mean I was!:laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
But DG IMO it's part of the job of being an elite athlete, especially when you are participating in a media driven sporting event like the Olys.. I think Cohen could have handled it with ease, or am I giving her too much credit?. It is not healthy to concentrate on practice 24/7. I bet she has taken a couple of hours off to shop, so why not participate in the media day?

I have competed at different things and yes there is stress. But part of being a good competitor whether it is football, figure skating, dance, cheerleading, or debate is learning to handle the nerves and to be able to continue with the other parts of life during your competitive season.

Does this mean Millie and I have to handle all of the press?:p

Sasha says that she loves being in the spotlight so I find it hard to believe that this would make her nervous.

Cohen is Cohen. She's a good skater and could possibly stop the Russian sweep.

Some people worry so much about her like she's the biggest thing to hit figure skating. Not so, imo. some people do not want to show that they are rooting for her.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Why would someone want to hide rooting for a skater? :confused:

The Russians WILL sweep- mark my words. I wanted a good competition, and it doesn't look like I'll get one. :cry: No wonder the ratings are going down.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
Red Dog said:
The Russians WILL sweep- mark my words. I wanted a good competition, and it doesn't look like I'll get one. :cry: No wonder the ratings are going down.

I agree RD. Mind you, I have nothing against the Russians. It's just no fun watching a competition where you already know who's going to win.
Add to that ... Michelle's withdrawal ... well, suffice to say I am not a happy camper at all this week. :cry:

Peggy

On the Ice
Piel said:
Sasha says that she loves being in the spotlight so I find it hard to believe that this would make her nervous.

Piel,
Sasha is not in the spotlight and never has been. The USFSA only promotes one skater and its been that way for years. If they expect the international judges to take her seriously they need to show their support. I can see why Tara has bad feeling about her experience with the USFSA. They play favorites and I blame them for her problems with the press--she is on her own there.

rob43

On the Ice
Peggy said:
Piel,
Sasha is not in the spotlight and never has been. The USFSA only promotes one skater and its been that way for years. If they expect the international judges to take her seriously they need to show their support. I can see why Tara has bad feeling about her experience with the USFSA. They play favorites and I blame them for her problems with the press--she is on her own there.

What problem with the press???

She and her coach don't want the attention/distraction at the moment. That's part of the reason she's using a remote training site the USFSA rented for her and the other girls.

And not only has USFSA done a lot for Sasha, she doesn't need their push since she's already a world medalist, GP FInal champion and now a Nat'l champion. Do they really need to tell someone she's a good skater when she already has results?

nymkfan51

Medalist
millie said:
I hope the skate gods answers your prayers and there is a Russian sweep. That will teach the Americans a good lesson for going against their own, meaning Sasha. You should be proud of what you have not what you had. She is your only hope for a gold medal. Why not support her?

millie, you make some assumptions here. Firstly, that most Americans only want American skaters to win. I can say for me at least, that this is not the case. So consequently, if someone from another country wins the gold, it won't bother me that I didn't support Sasha ... since she is not one of my favorites. Frankly, with Michelle out, I am rooting for Shizuka, who I just adore.