Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko on future...

Custom Title

Plushenko on future...

He has stated that he will skate in Calgary. He plans to stick around until 2010, and barring injuries to defend his title.

He said that it really doesn't pay financially to stick around in the amature ranks (GP victory is only $5K) but there are still other QUAD JUMPS to be learned and more titles to be won! Bravo, Zhenya!!!!

partially translated from:

http://turin.gazeta.ru/turin2006/200...a_543627.shtml

and

http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/2006/02/17_n_543626.shtml

Custom Title
    Wow. I thought FOR SURE he'd retire after this.

Custom Title
    Don't know if this is a good idea. I hope it works out the way he hopes.

It's all about Plushenko.
    Barring injuries??? Hopefully he won't need surgery again.
    Honestly I'm going to be selfish and hope that he sticks around, he's amazing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    He has stated that he will skate in Calgary. He plans to stick around until 2010, and barring injuries to defend his title.

He said that it really doesn't pay financially to stick around in the amature ranks (GP victory is only $5K) but there are still other QUAD JUMPS to be learned and more titles to be won! Bravo, Zhenya!!!!
    Thanks. I was wondering if he will retire after winning OGM.

good for him to stay......another legend in makeing.

Custom Title

Plushenko

He is an eminently likable person and I wish him luck with whatever he chooses to do. He will certainly keep the competition on their toes. I hope he keeps his health and stays uninjured.

Custom Title
    Plushenko's style of skating now will soon get old. He has slowed down significantly in the past few years...great technical content but IMHO Matt S, Evan L and Buttle had far superior programs than him...speed, transitions, balanced programs etc. I think if he does stay in he will have to address these issues.
    On his side is his competitive greatness and jumps!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jan
    Plushenko's style of skating now will soon get old. He has slowed down significantly in the past few years...great technical content but IMHO Matt S, Evan L and Buttle had far superior programs than him...speed, transitions, balanced programs etc. I think if he does stay in he will have to address these issues.
    On his side is his competitive greatness and jumps!
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

Custom Title
    To be honest I felt nothing watching Plushy's Godfather...and it looked like he felt nothing. Like Uncle Dick said...just arms moving and jumps. Yes, the highlight of the LP was Evan Lysechek...What a great comeback!!!

I do believe that he honestly intends to stay for another 4 yearsm but I sincerely doubt it'll happen.

Custom Title
    I agree. I love Plushy, but I think once he starts losing to the competition that's nipping at his heals he'll bow out gracefully. At least I hope...

Rinkside
    Maybe he's trying to go for an Olympic performance that will be remembered (Like Alexei's!) Because I sure won't remember his performance from here for long.

Custom Title
    I thought the whole evening was rather forgettable. Ugh! I always get so excited for the Olympics and then I am disappointed with the results. Let's hope the rest of the events are more memorable. While we're hoping, let's see more of a real competition at Worlds instead of tonight's lackluster splatfest.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    I do believe that he honestly intends to stay for another 4 yearsm but I sincerely doubt it'll happen.
    Why, if he works in a reduced schedule, I think it could happen. He just had his surgery which seems successful.
    And in forseen future, I don't see anyone match his consistancy.

Custom Title
    I am thrilled to hear that Plushy planss to compete in Calgary because I am planning to be there. I hope he won't change his mind.

I think every skater felt the Olympic pressure tonight, except may be Buttle. IMO coming in 6th SP may have taken some pressure off him. This is the best I have seen him skate, even with mistakes. This was not a typical Plushenko performance. You could see he felt the pressure. To his credit he executed all his major elements (except for one doubled flip). I felt bad for Johnny because he really seemed to be feeling the pressure. He was just not himself.Same with Lambiel. Even his spins were slow. Joubert could not deliver the jumps that are his strength. It is all about Olympic pressure. It is DIFFERENT! Plushenko is a champion because he could deliver the program inspite of the white hot pressure (he missed his end pose somewhat- it looked strange).

I am so happy to hear that he wants to do more difficult jumps and defend his title in 2010. It is hard to tell if his body could handle that but I admire his attitude.

Congratulations to a great champion!

Vash

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast