Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko on future...

I'd be surprised if it wasn't anticlimactic for him; after all that chasing, and after some impressive performances along the way, there must be a letdown from earning the gold in the way that he did, uninspired, IMO. He is really better than that, but I think Olympic pressure got to him as well, and he eked it out. With some ridiculously superior jumping, of course:-), and nerves of steel. Good for him to want to stay in the game, although I have to say, I wonder if anyone will ever beat him, even if they earn the victory, given the judges' tendency to inflate his PCS scores when he had nothing going on in the way of a program. But that's another thread...

cheers,
    Sarah M.

Tripping on the Podium
    it's really surprising that plush will continue to compete!!! i really thought last night that was the last time he was competing. but he goes on!!!
    if plush retires, the mens event wont be interesting to watch, IMO. look at silver and bronze medalist, they won with 2-3 visible mistakes. remember SLC, the bronze medalis landed 3 quads!!! here is the difference....
    hope plush will go on skating!!

zeytin

Custom Title
    To me the highlight of the evening was Lysacek´s freeskate. Absolutely enjoyable and really fantastic!!!

About Plushenko I would say that although he might wish to stay in eligible skating until 2010 Olympics, I very much doubt that his body will allow it. Besides, with all his National, Europeans and Worlds titles and now having both gold and silver medal from the Olympics, there has been no other male singles skater equal to his achievements for a loooong time, I believe.
    Last edited by Jaana; 02-17-2006 at 06:46 AM.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I BASICALLY like Plushenko's skating and respect his abilities and all, BUT --

he is really not one of those skaters I want to have to sit through 4 more years of. You know how some skaters you really enjoy for a few or several seasons, then you get kind of tired of them? For me, Plushenko is one of those.

However, I have to agree with Jaana that I doubt his body's going to allow it. I'm surprised he did as well this season as he did, quite honestly.

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop

he is really not one of those skaters I want to have to sit through 4 more years of. You know how some skaters you really enjoy for a few or several seasons, then you get kind of tired of them? For me, Plushenko is one of those.

However, I have to agree with Jaana that I doubt his body's going to allow it. I'm surprised he did as well this season as he did, quite honestly.
    My thoughts exactly. My first thought when I saw this info was "holy crap!" The second was "good grief!"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    He has stated that he will skate in Calgary. He plans to stick around until 2010, and barring injuries to defend his title.

He said that it really doesn't pay financially to stick around in the amature ranks (GP victory is only $5K) but there are still other QUAD JUMPS to be learned and more titles to be won! Bravo, Zhenya!!!!

partially translated from:

http://turin.gazeta.ru/turin2006/200...a_543627.shtml

and

http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/2006/02/17_n_543626.shtml
    I think that maybe the Russian fed made sweet deals with Klimkin and Plush for them to hang around for another Olympics. I don't know how Klimkin will do, but the Russian boys are too inconsistent to secure 3 spots at Worlds competitions and the Russians really need that 3rd spot to develop talent to replace those two guys. Not that Klimkin is the most consistent, but he is much better than Gryazev and company. At least he finished 11th here and had this been Worlds, this would have been good enough for Russia to get a 3rd spot. There is no replacement for Plush, but Plush just looked plain tired last night. I hope that was a case of Olympic nerves and now that he has won his OGM, he can go back to being the showman skater that he is. Even though he's very young, Plush has been around forever.

Custom Title
    He will probably end up like Michelle - injured and off the team in 2010(except he will always have his gold medal so it won't be such a big deal)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    I ... but Plush just looked plain tired last night. I hope that was a case of Olympic nerves and now that he has won his OGM ...
    I was wondering if it was just me. Good to know I'm not the only one that felt this way. He looked pretty tired the night of the SP too. For a minute there I actually wondered if he was under the weather.

FreeKatie - That's exactly what I don't want to happen to Plushy, and what I fear will happen. I'd hate to see him go out that way. Even though he already has his OGM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop

My thought exactly!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Enero
    Don't know if this is a good idea. I hope it works out the way he hopes.
    I agree... If some skaters with an ounce of artistry and passionate choreography can come up with consistent jumps and quads, he'll be in big trouble. Would be sad to see him bow out on a decline. But he's an awesome competitor, so, best of luck whatever he decides.

Rinkside

It's getting way boring!

I've been bored with him for the last two years and was really hoping that this year would be it. There is nothing new - you know exactly what is going to happen. As I said on another thread here - jumping passes connected to nothing, flailing arms, head tossing, glare at the judges, "squat" spins...even the greatest quad/triple can be boring where there is precious little else.

The great skaters draw you into their performances. Their choreography and connection with the music somehow dissolves the divide between performer and spectator. This is the great gift they give to an audience - making what they are doing almost a shared emotional experience.

Plushenko, last night, was not connected to anybody - other than himself and he even seemed bored with that. I was watching with a friend who does not know skating well and after it was over, he said, "What was that? Why should I care about it?"

My greatest fear is that we have a scoring system that not only rewards such a performance but perpetuates the charade that what we saw last night was one the the greatest performances in skating history because the point total was so high. [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color]!

If Plushenko keeps this up and if the judges keep rewarding him, I would hope that other skaters like Buttle and Lambiel and Lysacek and some other new faces we saw last night don't try to out jump him but continue to come up with programs that are creative, innovative....and athletic.

Figure skating is already in trouble - look and see how many empty seats you will see on the "tours" this spring and at Skate America...Canada....etc. We need skaters who can connect with audiences rather than posturing, jumping machines.

Quote Originally Posted by IndieBoi
    Would be sad to see him bow out on a decline.
    Why? One of the reasons skating isn't taken seriously as a sport is the ridiculous obsession some have with leaving at the top. As if Steffi Graff had retired after 1988 (a grand slam and olympic gold medal, what more was there for her to accomplish)
    A decline is a normal part of a sports career and nothing to be ashamed of.

Custom Title

reduced schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    Why, if he works in a reduced schedule, I think it could happen. He just had his surgery which seems successful.
    And in forseen future, I don't see anyone match his consistancy.
    Haven't we learned the hard way that a reduced schedule results in more injuries? Brian Boitana says the only way to stay healthy & keep skating for years is to train every day.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8addict
    Haven't we learned the hard way that a reduced schedule results in more injuries? Brian Boitana says the only way to stay healthy & keep skating for years is to train every day.
    We know a reduced schedule sure didn't work for Michelle.

Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    I think that maybe the Russian fed made sweet deals with Klimkin and Plush for them to hang around for another Olympics.
    I don't think the Russian fed has anything to offer. At least nothing that can compare to $$$ he can get from touring.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast