Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko on future...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke
    Why? One of the reasons skating isn't taken seriously as a sport is the ridiculous obsession some have with leaving at the top. As if Steffi Graff had retired after 1988 (a grand slam and olympic gold medal, what more was there for her to accomplish)
    A decline is a normal part of a sports career and nothing to be ashamed of.
    Not saying that he should not continue... if he maintains his competitiveness then by all means, yeah. But it'd be sad to see if he bows out because the competition becomes too big an obstacle that there's no other real option but to leave. Steffi retired when she was still on top. She had just dismissed Hingis at the French Open final and her farewell match was at the Wimbledon final, where she lost due to Davenport bringing her game -- and not because Steffi was on a decline.

Whatever Plush decides, he's had a long enviable career... it's not like he snatched the OGM by some miracle and ran away with it.
    Last edited by IndieBoi; 02-17-2006 at 01:51 PM.

Custom Title
    I hope he retires immediately to make the competitions more exciting. He's no fun to watch and the judges score him ridiculously.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by carol45
    I've been bored with him for the last two years and was really hoping that this year would be it. There is nothing new - you know exactly what is going to happen. As I said on another thread here - jumping passes connected to nothing, flailing arms, head tossing, glare at the judges, "squat" spins...even the greatest quad/triple can be boring where there is precious little else.
    I'm getting bored with him too real fast. During his LP I was like, man this is really becoming figure jumping now. He didn't even bother to finish his final spin to the end of the music since all the jumps had guaranteed the hardware in the bag. But hey, he plays by the rules and so long as noone else can challenge his jumps then his (lack of) artistry is a moot point.

Luv Deep Edges!
    Congrats to the man, he deserved the gold.

BUT - I think his schtick will get old quickly. I do not see him growing artistically - if some criticized Michelle for stagnating, I think Yevgeni will have an even more difficult time updating his style.... Just my op of course; he might surprise us.

I just wish we could get a glimpse of some Yag or Matt soul! I have never been moved by Plushenko's skating - amazed, but never touched. Yes, I know its a sport but we know skaters who combine the style and heart with the prowess.

Matt and Evan - beautiful skating last night! Tenorguy

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    I hope he retires immediately to make the competitions more exciting. He's no fun to watch and the judges score him ridiculously.

yes,he should retire immediately so those who can't land quad combos to save their lives win lol!

Banned
    If he does not get injured give him the next 4 World titles and next Olympic Gold already.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    I don't know how Klimkin will do, but the Russian boys are too inconsistent to secure 3 spots at Worlds competitions and the Russians really need that 3rd spot to develop talent to replace those two guys. Not that Klimkin is the most consistent, but he is much better than Gryazev and company. At least he finished 11th here and had this been Worlds, this would have been good enough for Russia to get a 3rd spot.
    I like Klimkin a lot, but he's had a heck of a lot more years to become consistant than Griazev has....And Andrei was 11th last year at worlds as well (the third spot was lost with Dobrin's 17th place finish.....even if Griazev had medaled, how would that have kept the magic 13?), and 12th the year before in his first worlds. Don't count him out yet, and to say that Klimkin is "much better" than him, with a five year head start on working on competitive nerves with not much to show for it, is, IMO, wrong.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by equestrianguy
    To be honest I felt nothing watching Plushy's Godfather...and it looked like he felt nothing. Like Uncle Dick said...just arms moving and jumps. Yes, the highlight of the LP was Evan Lysechek...What a great comeback!!!
    LOL, apparently the judges feel differently about Plushenko´s skating, and only that matters in a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey
    And Andrei was 11th last year at worlds as well (the third spot was lost with Dobrin's 17th place finish.....even if Griazev had medaled, how would that have kept the magic
    I think that the third place for Russians was lost because of the combined effort of Griazev and Dobrin. If either of them or both of them had done better, that thrid place would have been there in Olympics and Worlds.
    Last edited by Jaana; 02-18-2006 at 03:41 AM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    it´s no fun to watch skaters falling and falling.......it´s pain for the eyes to watch a sp like Lysacek did .

Tripping on the Podium
    I would be delighted to see him stay eligible for several more years as he brings something very special to any competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    I don't think the Russian fed has anything to offer. At least nothing that can compare to $$$ he can get from touring.
    Reportedly Russian Fed gave Alexei Yagudin a cool $325,000 for winning his OGM and to stay eligible until his hip gave out (I know I read this somewhere and maybe Feather Boa can back this up). I'm pretty sure Plush will get a similar deal.

Now as to what will be a sweet deal for Klimkin will probably be considerably less. Maybe they'll throw $5,000 his way to keep him in the game. Ilia would probably be happy just receiving his "salary" to continue skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey
    I like Klimkin a lot, but he's had a heck of a lot more years to become consistant than Griazev has....And Andrei was 11th last year at worlds as well (the third spot was lost with Dobrin's 17th place finish.....even if Griazev had medaled, how would that have kept the magic 13?), and 12th the year before in his first worlds. Don't count him out yet, and to say that Klimkin is "much better" than him, with a five year head start on working on competitive nerves with not much to show for it, is, IMO, wrong.
    I don't know about that. He is a fairly consistent skater if you look at his results over the years. He probably peaked when Russia had Abt, Yagudin and Plush competing so he never had a chance to really go to worlds with no pressure on him. Then in these years when he could have gone and worked out the kinks, he was battling injury and dealing with coach changes. He's not a lucky skater but I think that with some stability and maturity, he could do very well. Not everyone matures at the same time, but unlike Gryazev, Klimkin has a lot of competitive fire. I think Andrei is so talented but he just doesn't seem like he wants it. Look at how fast Evan overtook Andrei, a skater he always finished second to in juniors. Evan isn't more talented than Andrei, but Evan has fire and wants it more.

I love Plushy too, he's my current male fav still skating. I hope he does stick around, but often comments made in the fevor of an Olympic medal doesn't sound the same in the clear light of day weeks later.........I guess we'll see..... 42

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana

I think that the third place for Russians was lost because of the combined effort of Griazev and Dobrin. If either of them or both of them had done better, that thrid place would have been there in Olympics and Worlds.
    Yes, it was the combined effort, although many people at the time were blaming Griazev exclusively. But even if he had medaled, that would have required Dobrin to finish no less than 12th. It was asking far too much of BOTH of them, but Dobrin, at his first worlds, as essentially a Junior skater still? Face it, it wasn't going to happen.

Custom Title
    What concerns me is that he mentioned more quads. I think that's a dangerous strategy. The quads are so hard on the body and his body has already been injured. If he got himself to a good choreographer and built up his artistry, while not pushing the quad more than absolutely necessary, he'd have a decent shot at another 4 years. He's an intelligent man. Although he is not a natural artist, he could do a great deal more with the artistic side of his skating. There's plenty of room there. I highly doubt he'll make it through another 4 years of live-by-the-quad skating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast