Gracious Michelle? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Gracious Michelle?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Have you all noticed that the poster who started this thread hasn't responded........baiting accomplished.........:clap: 42

Piel said:
I agree with you in that to say that she has no flaws, yadda yadda just because she is Kwan is not true... for anyone. For this Kwan fan at least what I want to know from her detractors is what behaviour has she exhibited to make you think she is not all that she is being praised for?
I'm not a Kwan detractor but neither am I a Kwan fan. I started liking Michelle's skating in '03, though I still am not enamored of it, and run warm and cool on her personality--at least the one we all get via the media.

IMO, it's not praising Kwan that gets on non-Kwan fans nerves; it's the overpraising of Michelle with things such as, "Oh, if only people on this thread were half as gracious as Michelle." Uh, how do we know they're not? How do we know the people on this thread aren't 10 times more gracious than Michelle when she's not around fans or the camera? I'm not saying she's not gracious, I'm just saying we don't know, and will probably never know. And of the posters on GS, all we know of them is what they post and what a few of us "know" from those with whom we PM.

Here's a link to an article by Filip Bondy for MSNBC.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11311044/

And a quote:
[Re Michelle's press conference] And that’s where Peter Ueberroth, chairman of the U.S. Olympic Committee, went way, way overboard.

“Michelle Kwan means more to the United States Olympic Committee than maybe any athlete that’s ever performed for the USOC,” he said. “She’s been a leader. She’s gracious. She’s somebody who cares for so many youngsters that are training in our country. And she’s a real loss, not only to the USOC, but to the United States of America. And I think to the world.”

The world doesn’t concern itself much with Kwan, who would be the first to admit as much. And it is not hard to think of a many other U.S. Olympians who have surpassed Kwan’s achievements inside the five-ring circus. You can start with Jesse Owens, Mark Spitz, Eric Heiden, Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson, Michael Phelps, Mary Lou Retton, the 1980 hockey team.
One of Bondy's points was that it's great to praise Kwan, but the hyperbole tends to cheapen her actual accomplishments--at least that's what I got out of his article and also part of what was said in a sidebar.

And Rob, lord love ya for your analogy re Michelle and Hillary Duff, the latter of whom is a mystery to me every time I see her on the cover of anything except that fine journal Cartman's mother on "South Park" is often covergirl for. ;) What has Hillary Duff ever done except make, IMHO, barfy movies? Michelle has at least accomplished some very difficult things.

And if people stuck to Michelle's accomplishments--just the facts--I say there would never be any trouble in Skateland. Rather it's the imbuing of Michelle's character, about which none of us know diddley, with the motivations and feelings of a saint that gets difficult to take, and I like her.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be gushing. If you're a member of GS it goes with the territory that people are going to gush over skaters many of us don't like. I can only imagine how many lunches GSers who don't like Michelle have lost due to the posts on GS. Really, we should be careful. GS could be sued for lost lunches.

Seriously, Michelle skates on frozen water and over the last decade did so better than more skaters more times than anyone else. She doesn't walk on water in its liquid state. That's the difference, IMO.

Rgirl

Last edited:
Mods,
So is Millie now in danger of being banned the way Morganlee was for posting the things she's posted? Or is Mzheng being just as "troublesome" as Millie and, hence, in just as much danger? (This refers to the "Who's Next" thread. Sorry I'm off topic.)

How about if we put under the GS Forum a subhead that says, "Goldenskate: A Kwan Friendly Site"? At least it would make things clear to newbies considering joining. Of course it would initially attract a few Kwan haters looking to make trouble, but soon enough, once they saw the ratio of big-time Kwan fans to nonKwan fans, they'd stop.

Just asking and just a suggestion and not kidding, am being serious, and I've got plenty of other things I'm more interested in. Just hadn't visited The Edge much lately and boy isn't everyone glad. :) For the last line.

Rgirl

cianni

On the Ice
Shes Gracious

RGirl good points. I just spent time with a personal friend of Michelles. Spends time with her, skates with her knows family. I was told What you see on TV is what she is like in real life. She is nice, caring and down to earth. Some do know some things. I agree there is a lot of back and forth about her and you are right most dont know squat. She has earned respect by her behavior on and off the ice. Like it or not she is the face of Ice Skating again due in part to her behavior and attitude along with how she handles victory and defeat. Compare other skaters and their reaction to winning and losing.

cianni said:
RGirl good points. I just spent time with a personal friend of Michelles. Spends time with her, skates with her knows family. I was told What you see on TV is what she is like in real life. She is nice, caring and down to earth. Some do know some things. I agree there is a lot of back and forth about her and you are right most dont know squat. She has earned respect by her behavior on and off the ice. Like it or not she is the face of Ice Skating again due in part to her behavior and attitude along with how she handles victory and defeat. Compare other skaters and their reaction to winning and losing.
Thanks, Cianni. Good points right back atcha. :)

Rgirl

Seems like rgirl would like to revamp the board itself. She should contact Paula.

The reason there are so many favorite Kwan posts is due to the registration of fans of skating.. They weren't recruited to join the Board, and why should we print a warning that it is a Kwan friendly Board? That is not the intent of the Board and the Board welcomes ALL those interested in figure skating. If they happen to be kwaniacs, the Board has no control over registration except for trouble makers.

Joe

Red Dog said:
because certain fans seem to like to think she has no flaws, can do no wrong, and- my pet peeve- anyone who doesn't agree with them is full of it, selfish, etc. Does that answer the question?
So what. It's an open forum. You could post in the SashaForum only, and be happy instead of being miserable in an open forum.

Actually, many of the very same fans who were saying MK was a class act, etc. were the first ones to jump on Cohen after that Katie Couric "interview".
Is that not their perogrative? Is that worse than hiding your favorite which everone knows anyway?

Fine then. Fair enough. However, I didn't see anything in the original post that was TRULY hateful. It was a simple question. JMO
Obviously others did. You are not the only one with opinions.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Reading through this thread and a few others, I sincerely hope Michelle never sets foot on competitive ice again.
I hope she is happy and goes on with her life and leaves all this **** behind.

And for her fans and detractors, they will just have to find someone else to praise/insult.

And US Figure Skating will get a taste of what life without Kwan is like.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kwan has more fans at this time . So it's only natural that even a general board will have more Kwan fans as members. Kwan fans don't idolize her any more than Sasha and Irina fans do their favs. Because there are a greater number of Kwan fans there is going to be a "piling on" of pro Kwan whatever. What is GS supposed to do limit the number of fans of each skater so that each skater is represented equally? Or limit the number of comments per thread that support a certain skater? Maybe Paula will limit the number of Kwan fans that can be logged on at any certain time? I can see it now ..."Sorry Golden Skate has reached it's Kwan Quota for this time. Please try logging in again in a few minutes." ProSashas and proIrinas (for example) can be just as annoying as proKwans there just seems to be less of them on GS at this time. I'm sure if Kwan retires and Sasha keeps winning the numbers will shift. IMO during the past six months GS has become less Kwanfan friendly. Joe and Mathman used to to be hardcore Kwan fans and I think both have become more supportive of other skaters. I see them trying as mods to be less pro any one skater. It is not fair for fans of skaters other than Kwan to expect Kwan's fans to tone down their support of her or to not post anything less than glowing about other skaters. First of all why should we have to temper our opinions just because therre are more of us...that's just silly. And second to do that IMO would be insulting to those who are not fans of Kwans. kind of like "oh we must not make those fragile nonKwans feel overwhelmed by all of the Kwan love" or "must not say anything negative about Sasha (example) don't want her fans to be upset". Again just palin silly.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Extremely well-said, Piel.........I totally agree...........:thumbsup:

I don't understand what the big deal is having to read that Michelle is the "real deal"..........it doesn't bother me when I hear gushing about other skaters. If reading about one skater gets to be "too much", I just switch to another thread. More posters who are offended by those who admire Michelle should try doing the same. I had my fill of posters insulting one of my favs, Michael Weiss. I didn't jump down anyone's throat for it.........go figure................42

R.D.

Record Breaker
I see this board as a general figure skating board with a lot of Kwan fans. Nothing wrong with that, but I think the issue many of us non-fans are taking is that sometimes it feels like MKF over here the way some posters gush and lay into others who don't share their opinion. Notice that the issue is NOT that there are too many Kwan fans. The issue is that there are too many fans WHO BASH other skaters and posters. Most of them happen to be Kwan fans, it seems (correct me if I'm wrong).

I used to think one of the things that would separate a "general" board like GS from a fan-specific board is that while there were fans of all kinds, you wouldn't get bashed for having a different opinion. Sadly, I was wrong. :cry:

We can't do anything about the board demographics without banning a bunch of people, but I really think the line that defines bashing other posters should be drawn more clearly and enforced more. JMHO.

Joe- you seem like you're still bent on me liking Sasha. That's OK, you think what you want to think. But I really think that's just a retort for you to make whenever you don't agree with me. That's fine, but at least attack my point, rather than drawing such wild conclusions. I'd personally appreciate it, and I'm sure RG would, too.

People wanted to blow me off when I said initially that there was a Great Divide between Kwanfans and nonfans, and tried in vain to make "amends". The actions taken in this thread and other threads since MK's withdrawal prove my point even more.

My half-dollar in this "thread".

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
As I understand it, the original post tried to attack Michelle's graciousness by reading an announcement from Disney (not from Camp Kwan) as to what Michelle will be doing some time in the future to cast doubt on the genuineness of Michelle's reasons for leaving Torino instead of commentating. The obvious answer is that the Disney announcement, unlike the NBC commentating offer, did not have Michelle doing anything during the Olys -- where she draw attention from the athletes. It doesn't take a Kwaniac to read something wrong into reading an attack on Michelle's character based on a third party announcement of plans for the distant future. All it takes, IMO, is simple honesty in reading both the Disney announcement and the NBC offer.

R.D.

Record Breaker
this is where opinions differ. I wouldn't necessarily use the word "attack", you see. I would just say question. And bringing MK's graciousness into question as a big no-no for lots of fans here. At the same time, there was a 10-page thread questioning Irina's CHARACTER- speculating whether she was a nice person or not! No real outcry in that thread, IIRC.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I recall that there was an outcry. After all, there are Irin-addicts (aka Slutsky-iropractors) on this board, along with Sasha-Co-holics to join the Kwanatics. Furthermore, IIRC, that question was raised by things that Irina was at least reported to have done herself. If Camp Kwan announced the Disney deal, then there may have grounds for question, but she didn't -- and wasn't even reported to have done so.

millie

Medalist
Red Dog said:
I see this board as a general figure skating board with a lot of Kwan fans. Nothing wrong with that, but I think the issue many of us non-fans are taking is that sometimes it feels like MKF over here the way some posters gush and lay into others who don't share their opinion. Notice that the issue is NOT that there are too many Kwan fans. The issue is that there are too many fans WHO BASH other skaters and posters. Most of them happen to be Kwan fans, it seems (correct me if I'm wrong).

I used to think one of the things that would separate a "general" board like GS from a fan-specific board is that while there were fans of all kinds, you wouldn't get bashed for having a different opinion. Sadly, I was wrong. :cry:

We can't do anything about the board demographics without banning a bunch of people, but I really think the line that defines bashing other posters should be drawn more clearly and enforced more. JMHO.

Joe- you seem like you're still bent on me liking Sasha. That's OK, you think what you want to think. But I really think that's just a retort for you to make whenever you don't agree with me. That's fine, but at least attack my point, rather than drawing such wild conclusions. I'd personally appreciate it, and I'm sure RG would, too.

People wanted to blow me off when I said initially that there was a Great Divide between Kwanfans and nonfans, and tried in vain to make "amends". The actions taken in this thread and other threads since MK's withdrawal prove my point even more.

My half-dollar in this "thread".

:rock: :rock:
I agree with your opinions but GS is not like MKF for the very fact that on MKF your are not allowed to say negative things about other posters or skaters. That is why they are here on GS so often. They can say what they want and get away with it. They come over here to stir the pot and try to take over and then when someone goes against them, they are taken to task for having a different opinion than them or if they don't agree with their opinion. All this bickering hasn't nothing to do with Michelle, it has to do with her controlling fans that seem to think that they own her and has to take care of her. And not for one second do I think that Michelle gives two hoots for their opinion. She is of doing her own thing and they are still living in the past, doting over her. Michelle will be fine, but her fans are going to have to start drinking more green tea and learn to calm down when it comes to Michelle. Michelle is a strong, beautiful, tallented young woman and can take care of herself.:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
on MKF your are not allowed to say negative things about other posters or skaters.

It happens, anyway. And remember, since it's a Kwan fan board, the attitude towards non-fans are even more extreme.

Michelle will be fine, but her fans are going to have to start drinking more green tea and learn to calm down when it comes to Michelle. Michelle is a strong, beautiful, tallented young woman and can take care of herself.

ITA...and this could apply to the Cohen fans and Slutskaya fans as well.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Red Dog said:
ITA...and this could apply to the Cohen fans and Slutskaya fans as well.

No, apparently not, RD. It's only those disgusting, vile and hateful Michelle fans that cause all the trouble.
I am so sick to death by the attitudes of some here, who are so quick to label every Kwan fan as some hateful fanatic ... all the while getting in their nasty digs about Michelle whenever they can ... just to start trouble.
I am as big a Michelle fan as anyone, and I post on this board ... and I try very hard not to be even the least bit snarky about other skaters. Believe me, there are some of them I can't stand ... but I keep my feelings to myself.
So I don't like being lumped in with anyone and everyone who has ever posted something rude on this board about another skater.

Geesh, you people should be so happy now. Michelle is gone and she never realized her dream.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I just spent time with a personal friend of Michelles. Spends time with her, skates with her knows family. I was told What you see on TV is what she is like in real life. She is nice, caring and down to earth.
I have to agree with this. I just spoke with someone yesterday that knows Michelle well and said he got a phone call from her the other day. I asked him how she was and mentioned how I wish she could have been able to skate at the Olympics. He said it would have been nice to see Michelle skate, but that she needs to heal her injury . He also said that Michelle and her family are the nicest people you would want to know.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Kwan has more fans at this time . So it's only natural that even a general board will have more Kwan fans as members. Kwan fans don't idolize her any more than Sasha and Irina fans do their favs. Because there are a greater number of Kwan fans there is going to be a "piling on" of pro Kwan whatever. What is GS supposed to do limit the number of fans of each skater so that each skater is represented equally? Or limit the number of comments per thread that support a certain skater? Maybe Paula will limit the number of Kwan fans that can be logged on at any certain time? I can see it now ..."Sorry Golden Skate has reached it's Kwan Quota for this time. Please try logging in again in a few minutes." ProSashas and proIrinas (for example) can be just as annoying as proKwans there just seems to be less of them on GS at this time. I'm sure if Kwan retires and Sasha keeps winning the numbers will shift. IMO during the past six months GS has become less Kwanfan friendly. Joe and Mathman used to to be hardcore Kwan fans and I think both have become more supportive of other skaters. I see them trying as mods to be less pro any one skater. It is not fair for fans of skaters other than Kwan to expect Kwan's fans to tone down their support of her or to not post anything less than glowing about other skaters. First of all why should we have to temper our opinions just because therre are more of us...that's just silly. And second to do that IMO would be insulting to those who are not fans of Kwans. kind of like "oh we must not make those fragile nonKwans feel overwhelmed by all of the Kwan love" or "must not say anything negative about Sasha (example) don't want her fans to be upset". Again just palin silly.

Hi Piel. You are still my fave Kwan Fan. For me anyway, this issue is not about the number of fans of X on the board. It's an issue of whether the published board rules are being applied consistently. In my opinion, to maintain some sort of semblence of a general board, one must apply the board rules equally to all, whether there are more fans of one v. the other, or many "non-fans." IMO, the application of the rules both directly and (sadly) indirectly is the issue - at least that's my issue.

DG