Gracious Michelle? | Golden Skate

Gracious Michelle?

Peggy

On the Ice
I just heard about Michelle's announcement and her deal with Disney & ABC. Maybe NBC didn't offer her enough money to commentate? I'm confused because I thought she left the Olympics so she wouldn't be a distraction, yet she is making her announcement now. What happened to gracious Michelle?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
As I understand it she didn't want to stay at the Olympics (commentating or not) because she didn't want to be a distraction. I don't think money had anything to do with it.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Peggy said:
I just heard about Michelle's announcement and her deal with Disney & ABC. Maybe NBC didn't offer her enough money to commentate? I'm confused because I thought she left the Olympics so she wouldn't be a distraction, yet she is making her announcement now. What happened to gracious Michelle?

:chorus: :chorus: Do you really think the contract was just signed this week? :chorus: :chorus:

Whatever, if she is not graciouse enough Disney would have no reason to sign her on. Since she does not have oh **gasp** the OGM. Remember that eluded OGM being so often reminded to her fans?

Oh my goodness, Peggy, Michelle is far beyond mere graciousness. According to Disney's press release:

"Earlier this week, with a magnanimous gesture that exemplified sportsmanship, selflessness and respect for her sport, Michelle Kwan withdrew herself from the 2006 Winter Olympic Games due to injury.

"Professionally and personally, Michelle is a true champion. While her magnificent artistry on the ice has been applauded the world over, she also sets the standard for grace and dignity, which truly accounts for her universal appeal," said Ryan. "We at Disney are honored to be associated with Michelle and know that her unique style and commitment to quality will be enjoyed and appreciated by our audiences everywhere."

So there you have it, straight from the Mouse's mouth. :rock:

MM :)

S

SkateFan4Life

Michelle left Torino and did not accept a job offer to comentate with NBC because she did not want to be a distraction at the figure skating competitions. To me, that's a classy, gracious gesture.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Wouldn't this be considered MK getting on with her life half a world away from the Olys? Did the announcment come from MK personally or from Disney? Either way, congrats Michelle. Now along with the Disney Princesses, they have a Kween.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Michelle didn't announce it, Disney did. I'm sure they timed it purposely because she's got a lot of media attention on her right now.

millie

Medalist
mzheng said:
:chorus: :chorus: Do you really think the contract was just signed this week? :chorus: :chorus:

Whatever, if she is not graciouse enough Disney would have no reason to sign her on. Since she does not have oh **gasp** the OGM. Remember that eluded OGM being so often reminded to her fans?

mzhenz, this is one of the times I can't bite my tongue and not respond. This is the type of post that gets peoples goat. Did you have to make that statement? This is the type of post that bait people. Sometimes I think that you want controversy about Michelle. It is as if you are sticking to the fans of other skaters because she got this contract. As a fan of figure skating:thumbsup: to Michelle for her contract and good luck to her but:disagree: with your response.

rob43

On the Ice
While NBC is rival to ABC (which the mouse owns), I'm sure they'd give Kwan a dispensation to do Oly coverage. They gave one to Button this year- and I think McKay(?) in '02.

Plus if it raises her profile all the better for them. She does seem to do the Today Show and Leno 1-2 a year as opposed to ABC shows.

mzheng

Record Breaker
millie said:
mzhenz, this is one of the times I can't bite my tongue and not respond. This is the type of post that gets peoples goat. Did you have to make that statement? This is the type of post that bait people. Sometimes I think that you want controversy about Michelle. It is as if you are sticking to the fans of other skaters because she got this contract. As a fan of figure skating:thumbsup: to Michelle for her contract and good luck to her but:disagree: with your response.
millie gets your fact straight first, OK?
I never opened a thread saying MK get this contract. Neither I exatrated or over cheering in that thread. You are the one over reacting here. Oh, you know Peggy is fan of other skater? So guess you got the same sense as me she post the these question about Michelle's integrety? I just made the similar responses as other posters did in this thread. :cool:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The original post in this thread was baiting, IMO. Since there was already a thread about the signing what is the purpose of this thread...to discuss whether or not MK is gracious? If someone is going to ask the questions, they need to be prepared for answers that may differ from their own opinions.

millie

Medalist
mzheng said:
millie gets your fact straight first, OK?
I never opened a thread saying MK get this contract. Neither I exatrated or over cheering in that thread. You are the one over reacting here. Oh, you know Peggy is fan of other skater? So guess you got the same sense as me she post the these question about Michelle's integrety? I just made the similar responses as other posters did in this thread. :cool:

mzheng, sorry if if didn't explain my post more clearly. I didn't say that you opened the thread, I was talking about your post not the thread.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Exactly Piel...........this was a bait, pure and simple.........Goodness, Peggy.....I'm surprised at you....................42

mzheng

Record Breaker
millie said:
mzheng, sorry if if didn't explain my post more clearly. I didn't say that you opened the thread, I was talking about your post not the thread.

You said it very clearly.
millie said:
Sometimes I think that you want controversy about Michelle. It is as if you are sticking to the fans of other skaters because she got this contract.
I made it very clearly that I did not and never stick her (this) contract to fans of other skaters face. Check out the other thread where MK's Disney contract was cheered, I made exactly ONE post there, and which was not even a 'stick to your face' one.

Check out the fact before your accusation. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

kyla2

Final Flight
Peggy

Michelle Kwan is the epitome of class and decency. Disney came out with the anouncement in support of her at a difficult time in her life. I thank them for that. She didn't stay in Torino so as not to take away the limelight from the skaters who are competing-a very classy gesture on her part and she is to be commended. Don't try to make it less than it is. I wish to GOD some of the posters on this site had half of her decency.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I do think MK shows class and dignity many times. However, to constantly "ooh" and "aah" about what a "class act" she is, her grace, dignity, etc. like so many reporters and fans do IMO is patronizing her. She is human- I'd bet my life she has her **** days as well where she does "ungraceful" things, etc. No one is perfect.

JUST MY OPINION.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
You do appreciate the irony of your response, right? :laugh:

which is exactly WHY I said it. :cool: :laugh: I was just waiting for someone to comment on that. You just took the bait. :biggrin:

It's served it's purpose, so I removed it from my post.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RD what would give as appropriate responses to this thread?