Gracious Michelle? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gracious Michelle?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I didn't say the responses weren't appropriate. I just said they were predictable. What else could I expect...a bunch of people from Golden Skate jumping in and saying she's not really that gracious? :cool:. ROFL! :laugh:

Oh you sly Dog. That's what I get for being so bored with the men's competition (on right now on NBC) that I'm fooling around reading GS right now.

MM ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
millie said:
mzhenz, this is one of the times I can't bite my tongue and not respond. This is the type of post that gets peoples goat. Did you have to make that statement? This is the type of post that bait people. Sometimes I think that you want controversy about Michelle. It is as if you are sticking to the fans of other skaters because she got this contract. As a fan of figure skating:thumbsup: to Michelle for her contract and good luck to her but:disagree: with your response.

:rock:

I should figure that Michelle's own fans would be happy for her and be the same kind of "class act" she is by not baiting other fans and other skaters. Truly sad. :no: Maybe nothing else to do now that MK is out of the Olys? Let's go after Sasha, then! Or Emily!

would Kwan do that? NO, if she is the class act everyone says she is! (At least she wouldn't do it in front of a camera.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Oh you sly Dog. That's what I get for being so bored with the men's competition (on right now on NBC) that I'm fooling around reading GS right now.

MM ;)

I never watch men's skating, but I watched a few of the programs just because it's the Olympics. Lysacek was pretty good, I thought- he pulled it together after disappointment- but everyone else so far has been less than exciting for me. So even though it's the Olympics, I switched it off. *yawn*

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RD maybe I worded my question wrong. Let me try again. Why does it seem to annoy you when Kwan is praised? Of course she has her bad days and I can guarantee you that more than once she has let out a SMF:biggrin: when falling or during a bikini wax. But she does handle herself well while in the public eye and that's what corporations look for when choosing their representatives. Heck it's Disney, some people would say that being a spokesperson for the mouse isn't that great of a gig. Nancy Kerrigan wasn't too impressed with it, LOL. When I think of Disney I think of Annette Funicello prior to her illness which to me always =gag. I do appreciate her courage dealing with MS though.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:

I should figure that Michelle's own fans would be happy for her and be the same kind of "class act" she is by not baiting other fans and other skaters. Truly sad. :no: Maybe nothing else to do now that MK is out of the Olys? Let's go after Sasha, then! Or Emily!

would Kwan do that? NO, if she is the class act everyone says she is! (At least she wouldn't do it in front of a camera.)

Now RD who actually started the baiting here? Not a Kwan fan. Do you expect Kwans fans to not respond? No one is going after SC or HII they are responding to Peggy. If Kwan fans wanted to do that someone could have started a thread in response to Sasha not doing the media day. Does that make her less classy than Kimmie? IIRC a lot of the uproar from her fans over the Couric interview was that she wanted to discuss herself. So when given the opportunity she walks. The non Sashas might say she was not willing to share the spotlight with Kimmie while her fans might argue back that she was being gracious and magnanamous and allowing Kimmie to have the spotlight to herself.

Piel said:
When I think of Disney I think of Annette Funicello prior to her illness which to me always =gag.
You obviously weren't a 12 year old boy in 1956!

M-I-C-K-E-Y

Annette :love: :love: :love:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:

Who is baiting who? Who start it? Who continue baiting? Giveme a break.

No one brought up Sasha and Emily here, you are the first one. Who is baiting?

Last edited by a moderator:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
RD maybe I worded my question wrong. Let me try again. Why does it seem to annoy you when Kwan is praised?

because certain fans seem to like to think she has no flaws, can do no wrong, and- my pet peeve- anyone who doesn't agree with them is full of it, selfish, etc. Does that answer the question?

Now RD who actually started the baiting here? Not a Kwan fan. Do you expect Kwans fans to not respond? No one is going after SC or HII they are responding to Peggy. If Kwan fans wanted to do that someone could have started a thread in response to Sasha not doing the media day. Does that make her less classy than Kimmie? IIRC a lot of the uproar from her fans over the Couric interview was that she wanted to discuss herself. So when given the opportunity she walks. The non Sashas might say she was not willing to share the spotlight with Kimmie while her fans might argue back that she was being gracious and magnanamous and allowing Kimmie to have the spotlight to herself.

Actually, many of the very same fans who were saying MK was a class act, etc. were the first ones to jump on Cohen after that Katie Couric "interview".

Fine then. Fair enough. However, I didn't see anything in the original post that was TRULY hateful. It was a simple question. JMO

Red Dog said:
It was a simple question. JMO
RD, the "simple question" was, and I quote, "What happened to gracious Michelle?"

Well, OK, I guess you're right. I can only give that about a 2.5 on the old snark-meter.

But anyway, on topic, I do not understand what Peggy thinks is "ungracious" about accepting a contract to promote Disney enterprises. :scratch:

MM

isk82

On the Ice
Sorry, I just have to say if Michelle were so magnanimous, she wouldn't have gone to Torino in the first place. And Disney doesn't do anything in support of a person in a difficult period of their life. It's all about business. I know that sounds like a cut to Michelle, but it's more to Disney - seems they are going just a big overboard on their PR of MK.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I agree with you in that to say that she has no flaws, yadda yadda just because she is Kwan is not true... for anyone. For this Kwan fan at least what I want to know from her detractors is what behaviour has she exhibited to make you think she is not all that she is being praised for? Don't say you're tired of her being praised, because if you are, ignore the praise threads they are not going to stop. If you disagree give me some facts to back up yourargument. That's how I see it.

The same can be said about the Cohen fans. In the Couric interview thread we were accused of being mean, bashing, and even demonizing Sasha because in our opinion we thought in this one situation she acted rude. How in the world do you get bash, mean, and demonizing from that? The Cohen fans made it very clear that if you didn't think how she acted was OK you were out to get her and that is just not true. Thoseare the kinds of reactions that really frustrate me. Someone turning what you actually say around to support their agenda.

Actually, many of the very same fans who were saying MK was a class act, etc. were the first ones to jump on Cohen after that Katie Couric "interview".
Because Kwan has never been known to have reacted the way Cohen did. See the difference? Some admire Kwan for the way she acts in those types of situations because that is a characteristic they admire. OTOH Sasha's reaction was not admirable to some people. Doesn't mean one is right and the other wrong. Just personal opinion.

Hi, isk82. To me, it is not a criticism of Michelle or of Disney to say that it's all about business. Of course it's all about business.

Disney isn't some Mickey Mouse outfit. If they pay Michelle a million bucks to shill for them, you can rest assured that they expect to reap 50 million in extra profits off her.

But the way I look at it, a rising tide lifts all boats. Whatever commercial deals Michelle can get improves the visibility of figure skating overall, which helps everybody.

MM

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
isk82 said:
Sorry, I just have to say if Michelle were so magnanimous, she wouldn't have gone to Torino in the first place. And Disney doesn't do anything in support of a person in a difficult period of their life. It's all about business. I know that sounds like a cut to Michelle, but it's more to Disney - seems they are going just a big overboard on their PR of MK.

She's kind not crazy, LOL. Would any sane athlete not go if they thought they could make a good showing? Kwan has done more than her share for the sport. Not her job to sacrifice her Oly dreams for someone elses. Maybe the younger girls should have thought "Kwan's helped secure us three places at Worlds for over a decade, the old girl's getting up there, this could be her last chance for the Olys. I will stay homeso she can go because I still have time for more Olys". Didn't think so.

Of course Disney is going to parade their new cash cow.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Just curious - When a millionaire signs for another million, how does that help the sport of figure skating?

R.D.

Record Breaker
true that. Maybe in one sense you could say a skater will be appearing in public, which can possibly help FS. But I don't know how much of a help it could be if that skater doesn't compete any more.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
That a figure skater is visible is always good for the`sport...even Tonya helped raise ratings, LOL. The thinking could go ....WOW Disney is paying her $$$$$$ maybe I need to see what makes her worth that? Do you know how popular the Disney Princesses are with little girls? They see MK associated with something the already love and soon they are wanting COI tickets or to watch their new friend Michelle on TV. OR Michelle is a skater, I want to skate too.

rob43

On the Ice
Well if its a question of one figure skater over another it doesn't help. But if its a question of Michelle Kwan, famous as a figure skater, instead of Hillary Duff, famous for god knows what, then yes Michelle is helping.

Also sometimes if the PR deptartments are used to a person from a specific demographic they stick with that demographic after the first person has left. Strategically- Disney also tends to have a FS spokesperson or star of soemtype & I never remeber it being the gold winner (Roz, Nancy, Michelle for 3 stints). So maybe they view the person as a bit of a bargain- buy low.

I think the telling part is that a Michelle Kwan on a plane back to California got as much ink, good and bad as any of the athletes still there. Even from writers bit**ing about her getting attention- for about 200-300 words a appiece. EmilyHughes, US #3 would get minimal attention, Emily Hughes, Michelle Kwnas replacement is getting big attention. Her bi sis also helps. To be newsworhty you need media- and Kwan brings that in in spades.

jsteam4501s said:
Just curious - When a millionaire signs for another million, how does that help the sport of figure skating?
I think Piel and Rob made some good points.

To me, its a matter of one hand washing the other. When I see an ad for Citizen's watches featuring Sasha Cohen, yes, that might make me want to buy a Citizen's watch. But it might also make me want to buy a ticket to COI.

Go figure skating! Why should golfers and basketball players get all the action?

MM :)

jsteam4501s said:
Michelle is still the most popular figure skater in America. She will still be the most popular figure skater in America in 2010. If her plans are to retire from competitive skating it does not preclude her from making public appearances for Disney, anymore than it did for Joe DiMaggio.

Joe continued to influence red blooded American boys to the sport of baseball and Michelle will continue to influence by drawing more boys and girls into figure skating.

Joe