Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gracious Michelle?

Custom Title
    Sorry, I just have to say if Michelle were so magnanimous, she wouldn't have gone to Torino in the first place. And Disney doesn't do anything in support of a person in a difficult period of their life. It's all about business. I know that sounds like a cut to Michelle, but it's more to Disney - seems they are going just a big overboard on their PR of MK.
    Last edited by isk82; 02-16-2006 at 11:51 PM.

I agree with you in that to say that she has no flaws, yadda yadda just because she is Kwan is not true... for anyone. For this Kwan fan at least what I want to know from her detractors is what behaviour has she exhibited to make you think she is not all that she is being praised for? Don't say you're tired of her being praised, because if you are, ignore the praise threads they are not going to stop. If you disagree give me some facts to back up yourargument. That's how I see it.

The same can be said about the Cohen fans. In the Couric interview thread we were accused of being mean, bashing, and even demonizing Sasha because in our opinion we thought in this one situation she acted rude. How in the world do you get bash, mean, and demonizing from that? The Cohen fans made it very clear that if you didn't think how she acted was OK you were out to get her and that is just not true. Thoseare the kinds of reactions that really frustrate me. Someone turning what you actually say around to support their agenda.

Actually, many of the very same fans who were saying MK was a class act, etc. were the first ones to jump on Cohen after that Katie Couric "interview".
    Because Kwan has never been known to have reacted the way Cohen did. See the difference? Some admire Kwan for the way she acts in those types of situations because that is a characteristic they admire. OTOH Sasha's reaction was not admirable to some people. Doesn't mean one is right and the other wrong. Just personal opinion.

Hi, isk82. To me, it is not a criticism of Michelle or of Disney to say that it's all about business. Of course it's all about business.

Disney isn't some Mickey Mouse outfit. If they pay Michelle a million bucks to shill for them, you can rest assured that they expect to reap 50 million in extra profits off her.

But the way I look at it, a rising tide lifts all boats. Whatever commercial deals Michelle can get improves the visibility of figure skating overall, which helps everybody.

MM
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-17-2006 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by isk82
    Sorry, I just have to say if Michelle were so magnanimous, she wouldn't have gone to Torino in the first place. And Disney doesn't do anything in support of a person in a difficult period of their life. It's all about business. I know that sounds like a cut to Michelle, but it's more to Disney - seems they are going just a big overboard on their PR of MK.
    She's kind not crazy, LOL. Would any sane athlete not go if they thought they could make a good showing? Kwan has done more than her share for the sport. Not her job to sacrifice her Oly dreams for someone elses. Maybe the younger girls should have thought "Kwan's helped secure us three places at Worlds for over a decade, the old girl's getting up there, this could be her last chance for the Olys. I will stay homeso she can go because I still have time for more Olys". Didn't think so.

Of course Disney is going to parade their new cash cow.

Custom Title
    Just curious - When a millionaire signs for another million, how does that help the sport of figure skating?

Down With It
    true that. Maybe in one sense you could say a skater will be appearing in public, which can possibly help FS. But I don't know how much of a help it could be if that skater doesn't compete any more.

That a figure skater is visible is always good for the`sport...even Tonya helped raise ratings, LOL. The thinking could go ....WOW Disney is paying her $$$$$$ maybe I need to see what makes her worth that? Do you know how popular the Disney Princesses are with little girls? They see MK associated with something the already love and soon they are wanting COI tickets or to watch their new friend Michelle on TV. OR Michelle is a skater, I want to skate too.

Custom Title
    Well if its a question of one figure skater over another it doesn't help. But if its a question of Michelle Kwan, famous as a figure skater, instead of Hillary Duff, famous for god knows what, then yes Michelle is helping.

Also sometimes if the PR deptartments are used to a person from a specific demographic they stick with that demographic after the first person has left. Strategically- Disney also tends to have a FS spokesperson or star of soemtype & I never remeber it being the gold winner (Roz, Nancy, Michelle for 3 stints). So maybe they view the person as a bit of a bargain- buy low.

I think the telling part is that a Michelle Kwan on a plane back to California got as much ink, good and bad as any of the athletes still there. Even from writers bit**ing about her getting attention- for about 200-300 words a appiece. EmilyHughes, US #3 would get minimal attention, Emily Hughes, Michelle Kwnas replacement is getting big attention. Her bi sis also helps. To be newsworhty you need media- and Kwan brings that in in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by jsteam4501s
    Just curious - When a millionaire signs for another million, how does that help the sport of figure skating?
    I think Piel and Rob made some good points.

To me, its a matter of one hand washing the other. When I see an ad for Citizen's watches featuring Sasha Cohen, yes, that might make me want to buy a Citizen's watch. But it might also make me want to buy a ticket to COI.

Go figure skating! Why should golfers and basketball players get all the action?

MM

Quote Originally Posted by jsteam4501s
    Michelle is still the most popular figure skater in America. She will still be the most popular figure skater in America in 2010. If her plans are to retire from competitive skating it does not preclude her from making public appearances for Disney, anymore than it did for Joe DiMaggio.

Joe continued to influence red blooded American boys to the sport of baseball and Michelle will continue to influence by drawing more boys and girls into figure skating.

Joe

Have you all noticed that the poster who started this thread hasn't responded........baiting accomplished......... 42

Custom Woman
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    I agree with you in that to say that she has no flaws, yadda yadda just because she is Kwan is not true... for anyone. For this Kwan fan at least what I want to know from her detractors is what behaviour has she exhibited to make you think she is not all that she is being praised for?
    I'm not a Kwan detractor but neither am I a Kwan fan. I started liking Michelle's skating in '03, though I still am not enamored of it, and run warm and cool on her personality--at least the one we all get via the media.

IMO, it's not praising Kwan that gets on non-Kwan fans nerves; it's the overpraising of Michelle with things such as, "Oh, if only people on this thread were half as gracious as Michelle." Uh, how do we know they're not? How do we know the people on this thread aren't 10 times more gracious than Michelle when she's not around fans or the camera? I'm not saying she's not gracious, I'm just saying we don't know, and will probably never know. And of the posters on GS, all we know of them is what they post and what a few of us "know" from those with whom we PM.

Here's a link to an article by Filip Bondy for MSNBC.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11311044/

And a quote:
    [Re Michelle's press conference] And that’s where Peter Ueberroth, chairman of the U.S. Olympic Committee, went way, way overboard.

“Michelle Kwan means more to the United States Olympic Committee than maybe any athlete that’s ever performed for the USOC,” he said. “She’s been a leader. She’s gracious. She’s somebody who cares for so many youngsters that are training in our country. And she’s a real loss, not only to the USOC, but to the United States of America. And I think to the world.”

The world doesn’t concern itself much with Kwan, who would be the first to admit as much. And it is not hard to think of a many other U.S. Olympians who have surpassed Kwan’s achievements inside the five-ring circus. You can start with Jesse Owens, Mark Spitz, Eric Heiden, Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson, Michael Phelps, Mary Lou Retton, the 1980 hockey team.
    One of Bondy's points was that it's great to praise Kwan, but the hyperbole tends to cheapen her actual accomplishments--at least that's what I got out of his article and also part of what was said in a sidebar.

And Rob, lord love ya for your analogy re Michelle and Hillary Duff, the latter of whom is a mystery to me every time I see her on the cover of anything except that fine journal Cartman's mother on "South Park" is often covergirl for. What has Hillary Duff ever done except make, IMHO, barfy movies? Michelle has at least accomplished some very difficult things.

And if people stuck to Michelle's accomplishments--just the facts--I say there would never be any trouble in Skateland. Rather it's the imbuing of Michelle's character, about which none of us know diddley, with the motivations and feelings of a saint that gets difficult to take, and I like her.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be gushing. If you're a member of GS it goes with the territory that people are going to gush over skaters many of us don't like. I can only imagine how many lunches GSers who don't like Michelle have lost due to the posts on GS. Really, we should be careful. GS could be sued for lost lunches.

Seriously, Michelle skates on frozen water and over the last decade did so better than more skaters more times than anyone else. She doesn't walk on water in its liquid state. That's the difference, IMO.

Rgirl
    Last edited by Rgirl; 02-18-2006 at 07:38 AM.

Custom Woman
    Mods,
    So is Millie now in danger of being banned the way Morganlee was for posting the things she's posted? Or is Mzheng being just as "troublesome" as Millie and, hence, in just as much danger? (This refers to the "Who's Next" thread. Sorry I'm off topic.)

How about if we put under the GS Forum a subhead that says, "Goldenskate: A Kwan Friendly Site"? At least it would make things clear to newbies considering joining. Of course it would initially attract a few Kwan haters looking to make trouble, but soon enough, once they saw the ratio of big-time Kwan fans to nonKwan fans, they'd stop.

Just asking and just a suggestion and not kidding, am being serious, and I've got plenty of other things I'm more interested in. Just hadn't visited The Edge much lately and boy isn't everyone glad. For the last line.

Rgirl

Custom Title

Shes Gracious

RGirl good points. I just spent time with a personal friend of Michelles. Spends time with her, skates with her knows family. I was told What you see on TV is what she is like in real life. She is nice, caring and down to earth. Some do know some things. I agree there is a lot of back and forth about her and you are right most dont know squat. She has earned respect by her behavior on and off the ice. Like it or not she is the face of Ice Skating again due in part to her behavior and attitude along with how she handles victory and defeat. Compare other skaters and their reaction to winning and losing.

Custom Woman
    Quote Originally Posted by cianni
    RGirl good points. I just spent time with a personal friend of Michelles. Spends time with her, skates with her knows family. I was told What you see on TV is what she is like in real life. She is nice, caring and down to earth. Some do know some things. I agree there is a lot of back and forth about her and you are right most dont know squat. She has earned respect by her behavior on and off the ice. Like it or not she is the face of Ice Skating again due in part to her behavior and attitude along with how she handles victory and defeat. Compare other skaters and their reaction to winning and losing.
    Thanks, Cianni. Good points right back atcha.

Rgirl

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast