Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 63

Thread: Gracious Michelle?

  1. #46
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Seems like rgirl would like to revamp the board itself. She should contact Paula.

    The reason there are so many favorite Kwan posts is due to the registration of fans of skating.. They weren't recruited to join the Board, and why should we print a warning that it is a Kwan friendly Board? That is not the intent of the Board and the Board welcomes ALL those interested in figure skating. If they happen to be kwaniacs, the Board has no control over registration except for trouble makers.

    Joe

  2. #47
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    because certain fans seem to like to think she has no flaws, can do no wrong, and- my pet peeve- anyone who doesn't agree with them is full of it, selfish, etc. Does that answer the question?
    So what. It's an open forum. You could post in the SashaForum only, and be happy instead of being miserable in an open forum.

    Actually, many of the very same fans who were saying MK was a class act, etc. were the first ones to jump on Cohen after that Katie Couric "interview".
    Is that not their perogrative? Is that worse than hiding your favorite which everone knows anyway?

    Fine then. Fair enough. However, I didn't see anything in the original post that was TRULY hateful. It was a simple question. JMO
    Obviously others did. You are not the only one with opinions.

    Joe

  3. #48
    Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,021
    Reading through this thread and a few others, I sincerely hope Michelle never sets foot on competitive ice again.
    I hope she is happy and goes on with her life and leaves all this **** behind.

    And for her fans and detractors, they will just have to find someone else to praise/insult.

    And US Figure Skating will get a taste of what life without Kwan is like.

  4. #49
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    Kwan has more fans at this time . So it's only natural that even a general board will have more Kwan fans as members. Kwan fans don't idolize her any more than Sasha and Irina fans do their favs. Because there are a greater number of Kwan fans there is going to be a "piling on" of pro Kwan whatever. What is GS supposed to do limit the number of fans of each skater so that each skater is represented equally? Or limit the number of comments per thread that support a certain skater? Maybe Paula will limit the number of Kwan fans that can be logged on at any certain time? I can see it now ..."Sorry Golden Skate has reached it's Kwan Quota for this time. Please try logging in again in a few minutes." ProSashas and proIrinas (for example) can be just as annoying as proKwans there just seems to be less of them on GS at this time. I'm sure if Kwan retires and Sasha keeps winning the numbers will shift. IMO during the past six months GS has become less Kwanfan friendly. Joe and Mathman used to to be hardcore Kwan fans and I think both have become more supportive of other skaters. I see them trying as mods to be less pro any one skater. It is not fair for fans of skaters other than Kwan to expect Kwan's fans to tone down their support of her or to not post anything less than glowing about other skaters. First of all why should we have to temper our opinions just because therre are more of us...that's just silly. And second to do that IMO would be insulting to those who are not fans of Kwans. kind of like "oh we must not make those fragile nonKwans feel overwhelmed by all of the Kwan love" or "must not say anything negative about Sasha (example) don't want her fans to be upset". Again just palin silly.

  5. #50
    Arm Chair Skate Fan show 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, Ca.
    Posts
    3,206
    Extremely well-said, Piel.........I totally agree...........

    I don't understand what the big deal is having to read that Michelle is the "real deal"..........it doesn't bother me when I hear gushing about other skaters. If reading about one skater gets to be "too much", I just switch to another thread. More posters who are offended by those who admire Michelle should try doing the same. I had my fill of posters insulting one of my favs, Michael Weiss. I didn't jump down anyone's throat for it.........go figure................42

  6. #51
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,543
    I see this board as a general figure skating board with a lot of Kwan fans. Nothing wrong with that, but I think the issue many of us non-fans are taking is that sometimes it feels like MKF over here the way some posters gush and lay into others who don't share their opinion. Notice that the issue is NOT that there are too many Kwan fans. The issue is that there are too many fans WHO BASH other skaters and posters. Most of them happen to be Kwan fans, it seems (correct me if I'm wrong).

    I used to think one of the things that would separate a "general" board like GS from a fan-specific board is that while there were fans of all kinds, you wouldn't get bashed for having a different opinion. Sadly, I was wrong.

    We can't do anything about the board demographics without banning a bunch of people, but I really think the line that defines bashing other posters should be drawn more clearly and enforced more. JMHO.

    Joe- you seem like you're still bent on me liking Sasha. That's OK, you think what you want to think. But I really think that's just a retort for you to make whenever you don't agree with me. That's fine, but at least attack my point, rather than drawing such wild conclusions. I'd personally appreciate it, and I'm sure RG would, too.

    People wanted to blow me off when I said initially that there was a Great Divide between Kwanfans and nonfans, and tried in vain to make "amends". The actions taken in this thread and other threads since MK's withdrawal prove my point even more.


    My half-dollar in this "thread".

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,050
    As I understand it, the original post tried to attack Michelle's graciousness by reading an announcement from Disney (not from Camp Kwan) as to what Michelle will be doing some time in the future to cast doubt on the genuineness of Michelle's reasons for leaving Torino instead of commentating. The obvious answer is that the Disney announcement, unlike the NBC commentating offer, did not have Michelle doing anything during the Olys -- where she draw attention from the athletes. It doesn't take a Kwaniac to read something wrong into reading an attack on Michelle's character based on a third party announcement of plans for the distant future. All it takes, IMO, is simple honesty in reading both the Disney announcement and the NBC offer.

  8. #53
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,543
    this is where opinions differ. I wouldn't necessarily use the word "attack", you see. I would just say question. And bringing MK's graciousness into question as a big no-no for lots of fans here. At the same time, there was a 10-page thread questioning Irina's CHARACTER- speculating whether she was a nice person or not! No real outcry in that thread, IIRC.
    Last edited by R.D.; 02-18-2006 at 12:57 PM.

  9. #54
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,050
    I recall that there was an outcry. After all, there are Irin-addicts (aka Slutsky-iropractors) on this board, along with Sasha-Co-holics to join the Kwanatics. Furthermore, IIRC, that question was raised by things that Irina was at least reported to have done herself. If Camp Kwan announced the Disney deal, then there may have grounds for question, but she didn't -- and wasn't even reported to have done so.

  10. #55
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,543
    IIRC, that thread was also started by a Kwaniac

  11. #56
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I see this board as a general figure skating board with a lot of Kwan fans. Nothing wrong with that, but I think the issue many of us non-fans are taking is that sometimes it feels like MKF over here the way some posters gush and lay into others who don't share their opinion. Notice that the issue is NOT that there are too many Kwan fans. The issue is that there are too many fans WHO BASH other skaters and posters. Most of them happen to be Kwan fans, it seems (correct me if I'm wrong).

    I used to think one of the things that would separate a "general" board like GS from a fan-specific board is that while there were fans of all kinds, you wouldn't get bashed for having a different opinion. Sadly, I was wrong.

    We can't do anything about the board demographics without banning a bunch of people, but I really think the line that defines bashing other posters should be drawn more clearly and enforced more. JMHO.

    Joe- you seem like you're still bent on me liking Sasha. That's OK, you think what you want to think. But I really think that's just a retort for you to make whenever you don't agree with me. That's fine, but at least attack my point, rather than drawing such wild conclusions. I'd personally appreciate it, and I'm sure RG would, too.

    People wanted to blow me off when I said initially that there was a Great Divide between Kwanfans and nonfans, and tried in vain to make "amends". The actions taken in this thread and other threads since MK's withdrawal prove my point even more.


    My half-dollar in this "thread".


    I agree with your opinions but GS is not like MKF for the very fact that on MKF your are not allowed to say negative things about other posters or skaters. That is why they are here on GS so often. They can say what they want and get away with it. They come over here to stir the pot and try to take over and then when someone goes against them, they are taken to task for having a different opinion than them or if they don't agree with their opinion. All this bickering hasn't nothing to do with Michelle, it has to do with her controlling fans that seem to think that they own her and has to take care of her. And not for one second do I think that Michelle gives two hoots for their opinion. She is of doing her own thing and they are still living in the past, doting over her. Michelle will be fine, but her fans are going to have to start drinking more green tea and learn to calm down when it comes to Michelle. Michelle is a strong, beautiful, tallented young woman and can take care of herself.

  12. #57
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,543
    on MKF your are not allowed to say negative things about other posters or skaters.
    It happens, anyway. And remember, since it's a Kwan fan board, the attitude towards non-fans are even more extreme.

    Michelle will be fine, but her fans are going to have to start drinking more green tea and learn to calm down when it comes to Michelle. Michelle is a strong, beautiful, tallented young woman and can take care of herself.
    ITA...and this could apply to the Cohen fans and Slutskaya fans as well.

  13. #58
    Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    ITA...and this could apply to the Cohen fans and Slutskaya fans as well.

    No, apparently not, RD. It's only those disgusting, vile and hateful Michelle fans that cause all the trouble.
    I am so sick to death by the attitudes of some here, who are so quick to label every Kwan fan as some hateful fanatic ... all the while getting in their nasty digs about Michelle whenever they can ... just to start trouble.
    I am as big a Michelle fan as anyone, and I post on this board ... and I try very hard not to be even the least bit snarky about other skaters. Believe me, there are some of them I can't stand ... but I keep my feelings to myself.
    So I don't like being lumped in with anyone and everyone who has ever posted something rude on this board about another skater.

    Geesh, you people should be so happy now. Michelle is gone and she never realized her dream.

  14. #59
    Gliding Along dlkksk8fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,685
    I just spent time with a personal friend of Michelles. Spends time with her, skates with her knows family. I was told What you see on TV is what she is like in real life. She is nice, caring and down to earth.
    I have to agree with this. I just spoke with someone yesterday that knows Michelle well and said he got a phone call from her the other day. I asked him how she was and mentioned how I wish she could have been able to skate at the Olympics. He said it would have been nice to see Michelle skate, but that she needs to heal her injury . He also said that Michelle and her family are the nicest people you would want to know.

  15. #60
    Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Kwan has more fans at this time . So it's only natural that even a general board will have more Kwan fans as members. Kwan fans don't idolize her any more than Sasha and Irina fans do their favs. Because there are a greater number of Kwan fans there is going to be a "piling on" of pro Kwan whatever. What is GS supposed to do limit the number of fans of each skater so that each skater is represented equally? Or limit the number of comments per thread that support a certain skater? Maybe Paula will limit the number of Kwan fans that can be logged on at any certain time? I can see it now ..."Sorry Golden Skate has reached it's Kwan Quota for this time. Please try logging in again in a few minutes." ProSashas and proIrinas (for example) can be just as annoying as proKwans there just seems to be less of them on GS at this time. I'm sure if Kwan retires and Sasha keeps winning the numbers will shift. IMO during the past six months GS has become less Kwanfan friendly. Joe and Mathman used to to be hardcore Kwan fans and I think both have become more supportive of other skaters. I see them trying as mods to be less pro any one skater. It is not fair for fans of skaters other than Kwan to expect Kwan's fans to tone down their support of her or to not post anything less than glowing about other skaters. First of all why should we have to temper our opinions just because therre are more of us...that's just silly. And second to do that IMO would be insulting to those who are not fans of Kwans. kind of like "oh we must not make those fragile nonKwans feel overwhelmed by all of the Kwan love" or "must not say anything negative about Sasha (example) don't want her fans to be upset". Again just palin silly.
    Hi Piel. You are still my fave Kwan Fan. For me anyway, this issue is not about the number of fans of X on the board. It's an issue of whether the published board rules are being applied consistently. In my opinion, to maintain some sort of semblence of a general board, one must apply the board rules equally to all, whether there are more fans of one v. the other, or many "non-fans." IMO, the application of the rules both directly and (sadly) indirectly is the issue - at least that's my issue.

    DG

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •