Johnny missed the BUS! Oh, brother! | Golden Skate

Johnny missed the BUS! Oh, brother!

enlight78

Medalist
While reading the article I was like Sh:no:t that explains everything. By the end of it I was laughing my head off. Why Johnny why?

blackrose050

Rinkside
I'm glad Johnny has maintained his sense of humor about all this.

I don't think his bus comment was really meant to be an excuse, which makes me glad. I think he realizes that the problem here was himself, and I hope he learns and gets stronger.

http://usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=33147

“I'm very disappointed in myself. I'm beyond angry with myself right now,” he continued. “My elements weren't strong. I don't deserve a medal tonight; I didn't expect one.”

kyla2

Final Flight
All i Can Say...

All I can say is that I hope he sticks around for another Olympics and I hope this writer does too. I laughed till I cried and I really like Johnny.

machiavelli

Rinkside
Lol at the "one bear program"!

Even at Nationals, Johnny's long program was nowhere near as strong as his short. Just thought he would work on that by this time...

K-Mo

On the Ice
I can't be too disappointed in Johnny because the rest of the evening was just as lackluster. I enjoyed Matt Savoie and Stephane's tears on the podium. What a weird night.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Actually, I thought the USFSA team leaders were supposed to be in charge of making sure that everyone got to the right bus on time. And why would, during the Olys, they change the schedule so it's every half hour instead of every 10 minutes? Wouldn't you think that should be the other way around? Lastly, if the Swiffer Mop people don't jump all over Johnny for endorsements after the pathological fascination he has had for cleaning his dorm floor (and who are his roommates, anyway? anyone know?), they are CRAZY.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think this whole season has not been good for Johnny, he had way too many distractions and hassles because of his skating programmes in a time he should have just been training for the Olympics. Maybe next time he knows better.

I agree Johnny excuess I miis the bus mess me up por baby Grow Up Johnnny wait until you try go college during exams you says the bus being late mess me up. Johnny Wier is the biggest baby or poor sport I ever heard from just admit you sqrewed up body.

Johnny is unapologeticly Johnny and for those of us who love him, that's why. But that includes knowing that every so often Johnny is going to pull a Johnny, and last night, he did.

At first I was glad to see he'd changed his LP to "Otonal," but one thing I realized watching '05 Worlds on my tape is that the COP is much more demanding this season than last. For example, in '04/05 you just needed two changes of position in a combo spin to get a Level 3, as long as it was fast, well centered, and difficult. This season, everybody who wants high spin levels is doing four positions in a combo spin, and that still may only get them a Level 3.

Also, the judges are really cracking down on transitions. The German pairs team was a good example of using good tough transitions before every trick. There weren't nearly as many difficult transitions into elements last season as I've been seeing this year. So for Weir to bring back "Otonal" from 04/05 (yes?) was like bringing back last year's race car without the improvements to the engine, the wheels, etc.

To me, the choreography for "Otonal"--never mind the performance of it--looked as if it needed reworking to bring the difficulty up to Olympic '06 level. But because Weir didn't make the decision to change his LP until after Nationals, there was no time to bring the choreography up to speed. Johnny just didn't strategize.

If I may make a comparison: When Rudi Galindo won USN in '96, he did so only because he left his flamboyance at home and trained like a Marine, which he hadn't done in previous years. It was as if Rudi knew this was his last chance for a USN and World medal and thus for that entire year, he would have to have a mindset like a grunt at boot camp and train like one too. We could both see and hear :laugh: how much his USN gold medal meant to Rudi and we could see how much his World Bronze meant to him too.

But Rudi knew Rudi and knew that this kind of life wasn't for him over the long haul. After '96 Worlds, Rudi immediately turned pro and started skating programs like "YMCA" with COI ASAP. Rudi let his flamboyance out once he'd established his "credentials" with his National Championship and World bronze. Then he could do whatever he wanted.

I'll miss it, but Johnny may have to channel his Inner Diva in a such a way that it doesn't interfere with training and competing with his gifts as a skater, which are legion. Johnny said it himself as qupted in the article, ie, that he needs to train more to be ready for unexpected situations--like missing the freakin' bus!--as well as train more period. The guy can do a quad. He just can't or won't do one when it counts.

But I love ye Johnny. :love: Whatever color your true aura is, don't change it. Just work on your training and keep your Inner Diva inside under lock and key when necessary.

Rgjrl

EDITED TO ADD: Speaking of divas, I just went to The Edge and saw the thread "Rudi Galindo Lashes Out at Weir." It's over Rudi's contention that Johnny copies his moves, but still... :rofl:

Last edited:

terriskates

Rinkside
Katy Taylor fan!1 said:
I agree Johnny excuess I miis the bus mess me up por baby Grow Up Johnnny wait until you try go college during exams you says the bus being late mess me up. Johnny Wier is the biggest baby or poor sport I ever heard from just admit you sqrewed up body.

I've been through a simliar situation a few years back when I was in a skating competion at the US Naval Academy. All I can say is that the bus situation is something that was out of JWe's control, but he could have controlled the way he skated!!
Can anyone say "Crybaby?'

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Johnny missed the bus

I'll say he missed the bus!

As much as I love Johnny's skating, his long program was dismal. I think Dick Button summed it up correctly with his "Olympicitis" comment.

Johnny is not the first, nor the last skater to suffer from that malady.

Dizzy

millie

Medalist
soogar said:
He should have left earlier.

Probably the USFSA knew the change in the schedule and didn't tell him hoping that he would miss his long program. I hope we will hear about it in his book.:chorus: OH JOY. Johnny, you're the best.

Jill

On the Ice
Win or lose, I love Johnny. HOWEVER, give yourself more than enough time to get to the competition. This is the Olympics, for Pete's sake.

Now, regarding the former Soviet jacket. First of all, I think it's cool that he managed to get a hold of one. Hey, this is America, where whatever you want. If this was done for shock value, I missed the point. Now, having said that, maybe during the off season, he can spend some time comtemplating what it must take to actually EARN that jacket.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even though I like Johnny very much.......I do have one thing to say to him..........Grow up baby!!! Either your skating is serious to you or it isn't, make up your mind. Stop putting all your energy into your "whatever persona" and put it into your skating, if you're serious about it.

Dee