Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Johnny missed the BUS! Oh, brother!

Custom Title
    Johnny and Emanuel both make too much drama out of everything.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    He should have left earlier.

Probably the USFSA knew the change in the schedule and didn't tell him hoping that he would miss his long program. I hope we will hear about it in his book.:chorus: OH JOY. Johnny, you're the best.

Custom Title
    LOL, better luck next time JW!

Custom Title
    Win or lose, I love Johnny. HOWEVER, give yourself more than enough time to get to the competition. This is the Olympics, for Pete's sake.

Now, regarding the former Soviet jacket. First of all, I think it's cool that he managed to get a hold of one. Hey, this is America, where whatever you want. If this was done for shock value, I missed the point. Now, having said that, maybe during the off season, he can spend some time comtemplating what it must take to actually EARN that jacket.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Even though I like Johnny very much.......I do have one thing to say to him..........Grow up baby!!! Either your skating is serious to you or it isn't, make up your mind. Stop putting all your energy into your "whatever persona" and put it into your skating, if you're serious about it.

Dee

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    In his defense:

Bear in mind, Johnny is still young and I don't think anyone here would dispute that he definitely has a pretty strongly developed "artistic temperament". With this comes a certain tendency to get perhaps a bit excessively rattled if something like this occurs. So naturally he might blow it out of proportion a little.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgirl
    Johnny is unapologeticly Johnny and for those of us who love him, that's why. But that includes knowing that every so often Johnny is going to pull a Johnny, and last night, he did.

At first I was glad to see he'd changed his LP to "Otonal," but one thing I realized watching '05 Worlds on my tape is that the COP is much more demanding this season than last. For example, in '04/05 you just needed two changes of position in a combo spin to get a Level 3, as long as it was fast, well centered, and difficult. This season, everybody who wants high spin levels is doing four positions in a combo spin, and that still may only get them a Level 3.

Also, the judges are really cracking down on transitions. The German pairs team was a good example of using good tough transitions before every trick. There weren't nearly as many difficult transitions into elements last season as I've been seeing this year. So for Weir to bring back "Otonal" from 04/05 (yes?) was like bringing back last year's race car without the improvements to the engine, the wheels, etc.

To me, the choreography for "Otonal"--never mind the performance of it--looked as if it needed reworking to bring the difficulty up to Olympic '06 level. But because Weir didn't make the decision to change his LP until after Nationals, there was no time to bring the choreography up to speed. Johnny just didn't strategize.

If I may make a comparison: When Rudi Galindo won USN in '96, he did so only because he left his flamboyance at home and trained like a Marine, which he hadn't done in previous years. It was as if Rudi knew this was his last chance for a USN and World medal and thus for that entire year, he would have to have a mindset like a grunt at boot camp and train like one too. We could both see and hear how much his USN gold medal meant to Rudi and we could see how much his World Bronze meant to him too.

But Rudi knew Rudi and knew that this kind of life wasn't for him over the long haul. After '96 Worlds, Rudi immediately turned pro and started skating programs like "YMCA" with COI ASAP. Rudi let his flamboyance out once he'd established his "credentials" with his National Championship and World bronze. Then he could do whatever he wanted.

I'll miss it, but Johnny may have to channel his Inner Diva in a such a way that it doesn't interfere with training and competing with his gifts as a skater, which are legion. Johnny said it himself as qupted in the article, ie, that he needs to train more to be ready for unexpected situations--like missing the freakin' bus!--as well as train more period. The guy can do a quad. He just can't or won't do one when it counts.

But I love ye Johnny. Whatever color your true aura is, don't change it. Just work on your training and keep your Inner Diva inside under lock and key when necessary.

Rgjrl

EDITED TO ADD: Speaking of divas, I just went to The Edge and saw the thread "Rudi Galindo Lashes Out at Weir." It's over Rudi's contention that Johnny copies his moves, but still...

Good post and very true. I love Johnny too, but thought he shrugged this one off a little too much. I think his refusal to do the quad is just typical Cancerian stubborness. (My son is one too, so I know how they are.) They do what they want to do when they want to do it. Oh well...he's young, and if he can contain his inner bad boy, he might just really kick some butt over the next 4 years...he is capable of it. I would love to see him channel that into some fire and passion in his programs.

On the Ice
    Maybe he was too engrossed in mopping the floor!
    Whoever his roomate is at the O's deserves a medal, a case of something, or a Louis Verton (sp?) bag!

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by terriskates
    Maybe he was too engrossed in mopping the floor!
    Whoever his roomate is at the O's deserves a medal, a case of something, or a Louis Verton (sp?) bag!
    Oh, please, they've probably been getting more entertainment these Games than about 75% of the spectators who paid for tickets.... Tho I understand your point. Actually, I have been DYING since Day One to know who his roomies are; I'm surprised one of them hasn't come forward yet. (I think he might have 2, based on the way a certain story was worded early on) Maybe they're still passed out from all the Pine-Sol fumes....

Custom Title
    My suggestion for Weir is that for the next season´s programmes he should go to David Wilson for the choreographies...That way he could get artistic programmes that also are successful with CoP-scoring. I feel so sad for Weir now...
    Last edited by Jaana; 02-18-2006 at 03:27 AM.

Go NJ Devils
    Weir didn't have to do the quad. He had to land two triple axels and do all eight jumping passes allowed instead of seven, and do all eleven jumps allowed instead of eight (or at least ten of eleven). If he had landed the 3A cleanly, he would have been up over 5 points, between the difference in base (7.5-3.3) and the 1.60 he lost in GOE for the underrotation and two-footed landing. If he had done a 2A at the end of the program, that would have been another +3.6; a 3T would have yielded 4.4. If he had tacked a 2T at the end of two combinations, he would have received another 2.6. Add that to the 6.4 points he was up over Buttle after the short program, and he might have squeaked in for the bronze, without even doing a 3/2/2, and he could have secured the win with a second 3/3 combination and one 3/2.

Last year, injured, he nearly made the podium with a program that wasn't maximized, but that same strategy didn't work in Torino, even though most of them men skated badly. The music in Otonal doesn't have a lot of highlights, except where he breaks out in his straightline footwork series. It wouldn't have hurt the flow or the music for him to add the additional jumps to create combos.

Custom Woman
    Like maybe a week earlier? J/K. Though Weir is one of those skaters who prompts the little devil on my one shoulder to speak out a lot more than the little angel on the other. (Yes, I do have one of the latter. What kind of angel, though, I won't say. )
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    Weir didn't have to do the quad. He had to land two triple axels and do all eight jumping passes allowed instead of seven, and do all eleven jumps allowed instead of eight (or at least ten of eleven)....

...Last year, injured, he nearly made the podium with a program that wasn't maximized, but that same strategy didn't work in Torino, even though most of them men skated badly.
    Great post as usual, Hockeyfan. Re your first sentence about Weir not needing the quad, absolutely true. Just ask Jeff Buttle.

Re the second sentences of yours I quoted, ie, that last year, Weir, injured nearly made the podium with a program ("Otonal") that wasn't maximized is what I meant when I referred to the weaknesses in the same "Otonal" this year as compared to last. IMO, an unchanged podium or near-podium-winning program in '04/05 is not "maxxed" enough, to riff on your description, to be a podium program this season.

Plush could skate a no-program program and win the gold because of his jumps, footwork, commanding technique, and sheer authority on the ice. Buttle won bronze by using superb choreography and skating it great skill and expression. Lambiel, IMO, won the silver with something in between Plush's strategy and Buttle's, though his strength is in his spins, obviously.

Like I said, Weir just didn't strategize. Apparently he thought if he skated "Otonal" well, in both senses of the word, it would be enough for a podium finish. As someone else said, Weir is young. Let's hope he's still young enough to learn from his mistakes instead of just reacting to them with hiis "diva" side.

Rgirl

Sal-Kowabunga!
    since he didn't skate otonal "well," we ma never know.

I don't think it is unfair to be exasperated with Johnny. I was perfectly capable of catching buses and arriving on time for exams/classes when I was 21. I didn't even have a drivers' license then and I met my obligations. Maybe, this will be a pivotal moment for him where he gains some maturity to match all of that potential.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    Oh, please, they've probably been getting more entertainment these Games than about 75% of the spectators who paid for tickets.... Tho I understand your point. Actually, I have been DYING since Day One to know who his roomies are; I'm surprised one of them hasn't come forward yet. (I think he might have 2, based on the way a certain story was worded early on) Maybe they're still passed out from all the Pine-Sol fumes....
    Thanks for making me laugh. I am just a little less miffed at Johnny today. Thursay I could have choked him!!!

Dee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast