Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Johnny missed the BUS! Oh, brother!

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    My suggestion for Weir is that for the next season´s programmes he should go to David Wilson for the choreographies...That way he could get artistic programmes that also are successful with CoP-scoring. I feel so sad for Weir now...
    I don't think the choreography is the problem. His "Swan" was very CoP successful. Both of his long programs this season, had they been performed as PLANNED, would have been just as successful.

The problem is all in Johnny's head. He has the chance now, I hope, to realize that and fix it.

Custom Title
    What really ticked me off was Johnny first talking about skating badly because he missed the bus -- and only after his coach said that the bus issue was a bad excuse, and, there were negative articles, did Johnny change his tune and admit that he didn't deserve a medal because he didn't skate well. I'm not a Johnny fan -- he is a great skater, but I don't like his attitude, but I hope that he will grow up. After all, consider: Scott Hamilton came in 5th in 1980 -- he won in '84, where Brian Boitano came in 5th. In '92, Alexei Urmanov was 5th, and in '98, the 5th place finisher was Alexei Yagudin. If Johnny can do what these guys did -- learn and grow, he can join the parade of 5th to 1st.

Tripping on the Podium

Why so hard on Johnny?

In the first interview, right off the ice, Johnny said that he knew he didn't deserve a medal, and that he "didn't really do anything out there." He mentioned the missed bus, but I felt his tone indicated that it was just a report of what happened, and not an excuse at all. He seemed to me to be taking responsibility for how he skated.

Isn't it intersting how fickle the media and public are? Evan is the big hero because he came back and skated a strong long program. He did, and it was just terrific. But how quickly everyone forgets Johnny's wonderful job in the short. Why is Johnny missing the bus so much worse than Evan's SP meltdown?

On Olympic Ice Scott and Jamie said Evan's experience in the short was a learning experience he would never forget. Isn't Johnny's long the same thing? He made a mistake, he lost his nerve and didn't attack. Yet Scott was so hard on him.

I love his skating and look forward to many more wonderful skates from him.

Custom Title
    Johnny needs to stop spending so much time talking about shopping and fashion and focus on what he is doing!

Down With It
    I'll cut him some slack. It was a learning experience for him. Hopefully in 2010 he'll come back refreshed and ready to go.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kareliz
    In the first interview, right off the ice, Johnny said that he knew he didn't deserve a medal, and that he "didn't really do anything out there." He mentioned the missed bus, but I felt his tone indicated that it was just a report of what happened, and not an excuse at all. He seemed to me to be taking responsibility for how he skated.

Isn't it intersting how fickle the media and public are? Evan is the big hero because he came back and skated a strong long program. He did, and it was just terrific. But how quickly everyone forgets Johnny's wonderful job in the short. Why is Johnny missing the bus so much worse than Evan's SP meltdown?

On Olympic Ice Scott and Jamie said Evan's experience in the short was a learning experience he would never forget. Isn't Johnny's long the same thing? He made a mistake, he lost his nerve and didn't attack. Yet Scott was so hard on him.

People are often hard on those that they expect the most from. Or it could just be johnny's attitude.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78
    People are often hard on those that they expect the most from. Or it could just be johnny's attitude.
    I think you are right -- that people (especially the press) are the hardest on those that they expect the most from -- but his attitude doesn't help him. It's the same with Bode Miller.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    I think you are right -- that people (especially the press) are the hardest on those that they expect the most from -- but his attitude doesn't help him. It's the same with Bode Miller.
    Comparing JWeir to Bode Miller is like comparing a Donkey to a Swan. It's just soo wrong. In Weir's Olympic experience, he faced the media with grace and humor. He had excuses, yes, but at least, he did admit that it was his, and only his fault for the ill-fated performance. He doesn't blame the bus,who hasn't had the day when every seem out of order and nothing is going your way. I know I have had my fair share of days like that. It is truly unfortunate that elite figure skaters golden moments come down to those 4 minute routines, especially when they train so many hours. It all or nothing is this sport. The bus, the media attention, and his usual "butterflies-in-the-stomach" feelings are causes that directly played into Weir LP. However, being that Lambiel and Buttle mopped the ice and still get a medals, CoP only complicate how 'fly-by-night' fans may view the sport as being lame. Weir cracked under Olympic pressure, the bus had nothing to do with that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrose050
    I don't think the choreography is the problem. His "Swan" was very CoP successful. Both of his long programs this season, had they been performed as PLANNED, would have been just as successful.

The problem is all in Johnny's head. He has the chance now, I hope, to realize that and fix it.
    Yes, his choreographies have been a problem the whole season. Changes, changes and more changes and after that the change of the freeskate programme into another one. That is not the way to prepare for the Olympics. The skater needs to have the programmes ready in August and after that start to rehearse it again, again, again and again, LOL.

Custom Title
    Well he did have his original LP ready but was soundly critisized for it after Nats, which helped prompt him to go back to Otonal. He missed most of the Grand Prix so he had plenty of training time. I think it's a matter of how much did he really want it? As I said before I'm a huge Johnny fan and I know he is dedicated, but I have to wonder how much he got to the Olympics and started getting wrapped up in his own hype. You can't just chalk it up to bad aura. If he was truly ready to win a medal, even being a little late would not have thrown him off his game enough to leave jumps out of his program, unless he was just totally exhausted and a bundle of nerves. I think he should have stuck with his original LP and tweaked it...but I don't know if that would have helped either. Time to ignore the celebrity pitfalls JW and fight for what you know you can do. I will say that looking at Johnny before the LP, he did not look focused at all and I know it was his first time to skate in competition with his dad in the audience, but at the end of the day, he who wants it most wins.

Tripping on the Podium
    "After the Skate: Weir's Taking the Hits via E-mail"

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...r-emails_x.htm

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kareliz

ITA. Johnny's missing the bus may have been blown out of proportion by the media. He may not have used it as an excuse at all. It was his first Olympic experience and he got nervous and did not do the things he had planned for his LP. That's how I saw it. He has plenty of time to learn from his mistakes and realize his potential.

Vash

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3