Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Matt Savoie

Custom Title

Ita

ITA with the above posts completely. I would love to see Matt comeback after law school. He will be sorely missed in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by 76olympics
    What puzzles me about the judging with Savoie is that he was COP friendly before COP. The programs are rich in choreography with loads of smooth transitions and difficult entrances into every jump. The judges don't appear to be giving the proper value to these elements. Hmm....
    I fear that in Matt's case, the problem was a lack of international reputation. If he kept skating and maintained the level of performance he showed here, he potentially could be a Top 5 guy. If he skates this way again at Worlds, I would be interested to see what happens. Of course, it depends on the other performances, also.

Rinkside

Matt

I am so very happy for Matt. He seems to really be enjoying his Olympic experience. I am also very encouraged that more people are recognizing his wonderful skating. I was glad to be reminded that he and Jamie Silverstein had Cornell in common although Matt has not attended yet. It has to be fun to travel and participate, as well as live in team quarters, with those who understand the stress and frustrations of competitive skating and share in the joys and disappointments of one another.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    He was definitely underscored like he has been for many years in the U.S. It is a shame the USFSA sold him out to buy votes for the overrated Lysacek, rather than let them all skate and give them all the best chance to score as high as they can fairly.

It is great Savoie finally got to a major event though. If he retires he retired on a high note.
    I agree that Matt has been underscored both by the US and International judges. I have never understand why the US Figure Skating Association appears to have no desire to treat his career fairly. Matt is a wonderful example of how someone can become an elite skater and still get an education.

Matt should be very proud of his Olympic experience as he did a very good job. I believe he should have been scored higher and will continue to hope that he gets the respect he deserves.

On the Ice
    How would I be able to find out which COI dates Matt will be performing? I'd love to be able to see him live.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine
    Soogar, which part of the article said Matt might stay??
    Towards the end when Matt was speculating that he wished he had been skating like this earlier in his career. Right now he's focusing on Worlds and COI, but I would bet that if Matt medals at Worlds or is close, he'll stay in the game for at least another year. He can always go to law school, but it's not like he has forever to win a worlds medal (and make money in skating that will help pay for law school in the long run)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    I fear that in Matt's case, the problem was a lack of international reputation. If he kept skating and maintained the level of performance he showed here, he potentially could be a Top 5 guy. If he skates this way again at Worlds, I would be interested to see what happens. Of course, it depends on the other performances, also.
    Exactly my thoughts. If the USFSA had not undermarked him a few times in the past he could have gotten more exposure at the world level. It would have improved his sellability in the judges' eyes. Also skating at higher levels helps a skater progress more. That would have helped too.

I will be rooting LOUDLY at worlds for Matt to win a medal.

Vash

Rinkside
    He actually placed higher than I expected at this Olympics, because he hasn't had much international exposure. Hopefully the judges have taken note, and he will get marks closer to what he deserves at Worlds.
    His skating is brilliant.

On the Ice

Matt was cheated

Matt Savoie and Evan skated similarly for technical points, but Matt skated in a much more graceful and fluid style with great artistry. It is clear that he should have scored ahead of Evan.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    For me, Matt Savoie was the highlight and Evan after him. Their programs were the most complete and Matt's was the most beautiful. Johnny's program was wonderful too. They were COMPLETE and well rounded programs. Jeffrey Buttle's was well rounded but not skated as well as Matt's in my opinion. It is unfortunate that a quad that was rotated but not landed, gave him 5 points. I think this is a major flaw in the CoP system. I could see giving a skater credit for a slight two foot, but not a fall on the landing.
    no doubr matt is a good skater but he looked like a chicken in chiffon. a bad fashion moment. perhaps he was dressed by Todd Eldridges old designer and Todd was always the worst dressed next to Katrina before she had a make-over. LIke Paul Wylie he will do well in law school. What do retired skaters do? maybe michael wiess can get a job selling used cars or insurance. maybe he can even get emanuel sandhu to join him.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by skatehampton
    maybe michael wiess can get a job selling used cars or insurance. maybe he can even get emanuel sandhu to join him.
    Michael Weiss was already a guest on SOI last year, but I haven't read whether he'll be back, now that his Olympic prep year is over.

He has a foundation and also is a motivational speaker. He's doing fine now, even if he was disappointed by not making the Olympic team.

Sandhu has a budding modeling career.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4