Matt Savoie | Golden Skate

Matt Savoie

kyla2

Final Flight
For me, Matt Savoie was the highlight and Evan after him. Their programs were the most complete and Matt's was the most beautiful. Johnny's program was wonderful too. They were COMPLETE and well rounded programs. Jeffrey Buttle's was well rounded but not skated as well as Matt's in my opinion. It is unfortunate that a quad that was rotated but not landed, gave him 5 points. I think this is a major flaw in the CoP system. I could see giving a skater credit for a slight two foot, but not a fall on the landing.

CDMM1991

Medalist
In this case I don't, because I thought Jeff's medal was extremely well-deserved, but I think in general the penaty for falling isn't big enough. For instance, the penalty for falling is only two points more than the penalty for two-footing a jump (a fall is -3 GOe and the -1 deduction, and a two-foot is -2 GOE) but I find that falling on a jump leaves much more of an impression on the performance, or even just the individual jump, than a two-foot would. I think something like a five point difference would be more appropriate.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I was thinkin that Matt should have said he was going to do a quad, attempt it, and if he fell, automatic 5 points! He did so much better than Jeff, Evan and Brian J. IMO

mzheng

Record Breaker
Matt totally rocked tonight. :rock:
He finally gain some :rock: from the judges. But still his transition PCS score wuz big robbed.
I'm sad to heard he is going to leave skating next season.

isk82

On the Ice
I think Matt should be thrilled finishing 7th. That is awesome!!!! :thumbsup:

(Not that a higher placement wouldn't have been even better!)

sarahmistral

On the Ice
gorgeous, a brainiac (BA and MA degrees and heading to law school), more than a skater's skater, the ideal skater in my book....wow, I don't think I've ever been this impressed with a male skater! I love Eman, but Matt lands his jumps and just puts it all together - he's got it all! Strikes a perfect, ever so delicate balance between grace and manly-man sensuality Sigh. And I just discovered him, and he's leaving next season...say it ain't so... :cry: :cry: :cry: :disapp: :disapp: :disapp: :disapp: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: Say it ain't SOOOOO!!! Will he be at worlds?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Evan was such a highlight just because he skated so well. I am so very proud of him. I have really jumped on the Evan bandwagon after nationals 05 and worlds... Evan for GOLD in 2010!!! :clap:

I thought he and Jeff were interchangable as far as who got the medal, and I'll admit I'm bummed that Evan didn't win... however Jeff had the better SP so I guess it evens out...

Johnny's Otonal, FOR HIM, was a mess, but still head over heals better than a lot of the other "programs" of the evening...

Matt... OMG. So hosed in teh scores both nights...

Vash01

Medalist
kyla2 said:
For me, Matt Savoie was the highlight and Evan after him. Their programs were the most complete and Matt's was the most beautiful. Johnny's program was wonderful too. They were COMPLETE and well rounded programs. Jeffrey Buttle's was well rounded but not skated as well as Matt's in my opinion. It is unfortunate that a quad that was rotated but not landed, gave him 5 points. I think this is a major flaw in the CoP system. I could see giving a skater credit for a slight two foot, but not a fall on the landing.

I was so proud of Matt, and Evan too.

ITA about the points for a missed quad. It is ridiculous to award so many points for a jump when a skater falls. Jeff obviously knew he could take advantage of it. The penalty for falling on jumps needs to be much higher.

Vash

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I too wish Matt would stick around after this year. I feel like his skating has matured so much in the last couple of years. I think it's really a shame and a big loss for skating. I understand wanting to go to law school, but I wish he'd take a couple of years and if not stay elegible, at least go pro and do shows. I love him live at Nats this year and I really hope I get to see him perform live again.

:love: :love: :love: Matt :love: :love: :love:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I never cared for Evan before but he skated wonderfully - I was impressed! Watching Matt was an absolute treat.

I don't care for the method of purposely falling on the quad to get the 5 points, a smart move but it shows the COP needs improvement. I'm happy for Buttle though and he was 7 points (I believe) ahead of Evan so he would have likely made bronze anyway but it would have been much closer.

soogar

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
I was so proud of Matt, and Evan too.

ITA about the points for a missed quad. It is ridiculous to award so many points for a jump when a skater falls. Jeff obviously knew he could take advantage of it. The penalty for falling on jumps needs to be much higher.

Vash
...Well Jeff at least skates with his brain. The US guys aren't that bright when it comes to maximizing COP. And what sucks is that Johnny landed the most beautiful 4-3-3 combo in practice that Tracy was showing while explaining COP scoring. If Johnny had enough guts to go for the quad in the LP and just forget about it if he falls on it like Jeff, he would have had a medal.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
kyla2 said:
It is unfortunate that a quad that was rotated but not landed, gave him 5 points. I think this is a major flaw in the CoP system. I could see giving a skater credit for a slight two foot, but not a fall on the landing.
ITA. I don't blame Jeff, it was just a good strategy. But CoP should NOT reward splatted quads. The SP seems to penalize falls sufficiently because of the limited number of jumping passes, but not the LP. All this ties into my argument that there is too much emphasis on difficulty/levels and not enough on GOE (how well you do the move).

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Matt was wonderful in both SP & LP, too bad the judges didn't think so.

Dee

soogar

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
ITA. I don't blame Jeff, it was just a good strategy. But CoP should NOT reward splatted quads. The SP seems to penalize falls sufficiently because of the limited number of jumping passes, but not the LP. All this ties into my argument that there is too much emphasis on difficulty/levels and not enough on GOE (how well you do the move).

I think it should reward risk. The men should be doing quads and all the men on the podium at the Games did a quad. The US men need to be taking notes.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
I thought Matt was wonderful in both SP & LP, too bad the judges didn't think so.

Dee

I agree... there's no reason he shouldn't be top 5...

emma

Record Breaker
I really loved watching Matt...totally awesome in both the short and long programs. What a joy!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I loved Matt's program. He is sooo smooth!

the penalty for falling on jumps needs to be much higher.

This might sound too harsh, but I think if you fall on a move, there should be no points awarded for it.