Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko's ridiculous PCS

Custom Title

Plushenko's ridiculous PCS

Yes, it was obvious Plushenko was the rightful winner. But come on, his PCS were ridiculous for what he did. He did great jumps (technical) but not one of them had a difficult jump entrance (transitions). He didn't even try the usual perfunctory footwork in front of any of them. This makes the jumps easier - something that should be reflected somewhere in his scores, but clearly was not.
    Also his choreography was not the best out there. His program was front-loaded with jumps - again making it easier. Also detracting from the overall theme. With all those jumps right up front he appeared to not even notice what his music was until midway through his program when he headed into footwork.
    I also somewhat question his high scores on footwork, but that's on the tech side.
    The judges could have easily given Plushenko scores more reflective of his actual performance and he would still have won. It irks me that they try to make it look like he had the best skate of all time. I thought, in fact, just in general performance quality it didn't even rank up there with the best performances Plushenko's ever given. He looked kind of paint-by-numbers without much passion. Perhaps because there was nobody there to push him. Nevertheless, it was not the most exciting LP in Olympic history.
    End of ramble.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Plush got higher transition marks than Savoie. Further proof that crack don't smoke itself.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by rain
    Perhaps because there was nobody there to push him.
    plushenko was a better skater 4 years ago, while there was a great competition between him and yagudin...but then he was alone when yags retired and i believe that affected him in a negative way...but i still think that he has a nicer skating style than the other skaters, artistically.
    and perhaps judges awarded him with so high scores because he has given lot to mens figure skating...judges generally give higher scores when a skater wins the olympic gold.and if this is a skater with previous victories, they become really generous.

zeytin
    Last edited by zeytin; 02-17-2006 at 02:40 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zeytin
    plushenko was a better skater 4 years ago, while there was a great competition between him and yagudin...but then he was alone when yags retired and i believe that affected him in a negative way...but i still think that he has a nicer skating style than the other skaters, artistically.
    and perhaps judges awarded him with so high scores because he has given lot to mens figure skating...judges generally give higher scores when a skater wins the olympic gold.and if this is a skater with previous victories, they become really generous.

zeytin
    I totally agree with you. I was always a Yagudin fan and not so much a Plushenko fan (still am not), but when Plushenko had to compete against Yagudin at least he had fire. He went all out. I wish there was somebody out there now who could bring the tech jump content and force Plushenko to address some of the weaknesses in his skating that right now are totally overlooked by the judges, in part, I'm guessing, because there's nobody close to him on those jumps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey
    Plush got higher transition marks than Savoie. Further proof that crack don't smoke itself.
    Yeah, Plushenko did a number of things very well, but transitions? What transitions? In fact, what choreography?

Banned
    Listen here are a number of things......

Plushenkos's ridiculous PCS scores
    Plushenko's ridiculous spin scores(although he still was the clear winner regardless)
    Lysacek's ridiculous spin scores
    Lysacek's ridiculous PCS scores
    Sandhu's ridiculous footwork scores(most of his footwork is on two feet)
    Joubert's ridiculous footwork scores
    Joubert's ridiculous PCS scores

The new system is garbage. If they dont replace it soon figure skating popularity will continue to go down the toi%et.

Rinkside
    Ah. I thought Plushenko did better with his Free Skate at Europeans than last night.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
    I don't understand Plushenko's absurdly high PCS scores either...the performance was dull, hardly a transition, zero musicality and choreography...he has skated this problem better in the past but somehow his score are higher here with this lackluster skate? Ridiculous. He WAS the clear winner, I just find fault with his high scores.

I don't like the notion of saying since he was the best there and no one could touch him anyway therefore inflate the marks! It makes no sense to me to award him high scores because he has done a lot for figure skating...if the fans cannot walk away from that rationale, how can we expect the judges to? I know it might be too much to ask for the skater to be judged by THAT performance at THAT competition...but that is the way it should be!

I haven't looked at the score sheets...from the sounds of it, I probably shouldn't!

eliza88

Tripping on the Podium

judges

I think he should have won, no question but it shows that the judges are not judging correctly.

In the paper there was a quote saying that he skated very very slowly [this is hard to see on TV] and his performance was forgetable unlike Vickor p, Urmanov, Kulik and Yags.

He has great footwork but isn't it just about the same pattern for years now and in no way did it go to the music. In fact I thought the entire program could have been skated to any music for all the connection it had with the music he was using.

The gold medal performance seemed to leave him emotionless and the audience too. :frown2:

Custom Title
    I too found the scores - well - troubling...anybody good at this sort of thing break it down yet?

ETA - but congratulations to Plushy for his victory, he was, imo, the clear winner. I just find the scores troubling.

Banned
    None of the scores make sense anymore in the singles. The only things they judge fairly well are jumps, skating skills and footwork. Spins, interpretation, choreography, transitions, and performance, they do an awful job of scoring in both mens and womens. I think as fans we should start ignoring results and just enjoy the skating, and come up with our own scores with fair judging.

Custom Title
    None of the others skaters had more pressure than Evgeny. He did enough to win,but it was clear that he was not happy with his performance. Yags was also cautious in Salt Lake(Plushy skated a better lp than Yags) but his fans don't care about that cause he won gold right?
    Last edited by curious; 02-17-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by curious
    None of the others skaters had more pressure than Evgeny. He did enough to win,but it was clear that he was not happy with his performance. Yags was also cautious in Salt Lake(Plushy skated a better lp than Yags) but his fans don't care about that cause he won gold right?
    You really believe Plushenko skated a better long program than Yagudin in SLC?
    Yagudin left out the second triple axel, but Plushenko had two mistakes, tired out near the end, and Yagudin won all the first place votes in the long. As you said it is a moot point anyway though.

Down With It
    look for the same thing to happen to Irina next week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    look for the same thing to happen to Irina next week.
    God I hope not. I want Irina to win but I want a fair event. Irina and Sasha both skating cleanly should be a close call, unless Irina does a triple-triple which she might or might not. Then again I am suspiscious now of the U.S getting favorable judging as well now. Maybe a Japanese winner would be the only thing I would fully trust at this point. :chorus:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast