Did we figure out the Takahashi TES yet? | Golden Skate

Did we figure out the Takahashi TES yet?

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
We were talking about this on the men's LP thread yesterday. Did anyone figure out why the lutz wasn't counted? I watched NBC last night just to see if they said anything because CBC didn't mention anything, but NBC didn't catch it either.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I don't know the answer to your question, but I think that this is the guy to watch over the next four years. He has the "wow" factor already at age 19! I cannot take my eyes off him when he skates. Lyrical and passionate, just an amazing skater with incredible potential.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Sk8n Mama said:
We were talking about this on the men's LP thread yesterday. Did anyone figure out why the lutz wasn't counted? I watched NBC last night just to see if they said anything because CBC didn't mention anything, but NBC didn't catch it either.

Are you talking about the jump after the 3l? I thought that was a 3t. The only L that is listed in the protocols is the 3L in combo with the 3t. I may have to go back and look at that tape again. That wasn't the greatest of camera angels that I saw.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
On the ISU site, it lists the triple lutz with a star as 'element excuted but not counted' and NBC's protocals say "invalid element". We were all trying to figure out the lutz was invalid as he hadn't done another lutz prior to that.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It is just an example of the phoniness of the new system. The judges can do whatever they want, and their marks for specific areas can be blurred behind the complexities of the new system. They dont have to justify any of their scoring or how it is arrived at. Takahashi having some of his elements discounted should be explained to the media and fans.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
It really seemed like they were robbing Takahashi of a better placement. I'm not saying he should have wound up on the podium for these two programs, but he definitely should have been higher! I was even confused in the short program when his footwork got called as level 3's when they had been called as level 4's (and the only level 4's) all season (as far as I know, and as far as the commentators said), yet Plushy got the level 4 footworks? Hmm... He was really the only skater who had any consistent "wow" factor during his programs. I look forward to watching him skate in the future :D Come 2010, he could be quite the force to reackon with.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
There might have been some backlash for what happened at Japanese Nationals. That is not fair, what happened at Japanese Nationals was wrong but it is not his fault. He deserved to be judged fairly at the Olympics but was not.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I don't think it was a "wuzrobbing". If they were going to be dishonest, they would hide it a bit more. I'm still trying to figure this out.

Kasey

Medalist
I think because he had already repeated the axel and the 3 toe....he could not repeat another triple jump in the program and have it count, so the final lutz counted as zero.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Kasey said:
I think because he had already repeated the axel and the 3 toe....he could not repeat another triple jump in the program and have it count, so the final lutz counted as zero.
Correct. The quad toe (downgraded to a triple) wasn't the issue here but it was the attempted triple toe loop (downgraded to double) on the end of the second triple axel that counted as the second triple toe.

You can read the detailed protocol of the Men's FS at:
http://www.isufs.org/results/owg2006/OWG06_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Okay. I'm still trying to figure out CoP sometimes. I don't think they were robbing him of anything. They spent forever getting those marks up and were obviously checking the landing on the quad and figuring out whether or not the lutz had to be taken out. I think the ISU wants this scored as cleanly as possible to gain a little credibility.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Engwaciriel said:
But if it was downgraded, why did it count as a triple toe?
Because it's the planned/intended number of rotations that is counted (otherwise it wouldn't be fair to the skater since they wouldn't know while they're skating the program whether or not their jump was going to be downgraded later). Ironically, Takahashi's extra repeated jump mistake in the FS is the same one that cost Nobunari Oda the gold medal at Japanese Nationals and gave Takahashi the Olympic berth.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Ironically, Takahashi's extra repeated jump mistake in the FS is the same one that cost Nobunari Oda the gold medal at Japanese Nationals and gave Takahashi the Olympic berth.
Wow, that is fate coming back to bite him in the butt!

sk8addict

On the Ice
ordinals

slutskayafan21 said:
It is just an example of the phoniness of the new system. The judges can do whatever they want, and their marks for specific areas can be blurred behind the complexities of the new system. They dont have to justify any of their scoring or how it is arrived at. Takahashi having some of his elements discounted should be explained to the media and fans.
And the old 6.0 system didn't let them do whatever they wanted with ordinals? Takashi got to the olympics by the new system working. After he was in 2nd at japanese Nationals they reviewed the scores & awarded him 1st.

soogar

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
There might have been some backlash for what happened at Japanese Nationals. That is not fair, what happened at Japanese Nationals was wrong but it is not his fault. He deserved to be judged fairly at the Olympics but was not.

Why would international judges care what happened at Japanese Nationals?

I jut think it was a case of holding up Jeff.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I jut think it was a case of holding up Jeff.

:disagree: I really doubt they're going to mess with the technical components to hold up one skater. Without knowing about the uncounted lutz and the double knock for the quad, Scott Hamilton said before the marks came up, "there's Jeff Buttle nervously awaiting Takahashi's marks. He shouldn't be worried but you just never know." Obviously Scott didn't think the judges were just holding Buttle up. Takahashi put in a quad that he doesn't fully rotate-he took that chance. If the lutz had been counted, he still would have only finished behind Joubert-he wouldn't have even come close to Buttle. Maybe it's Buttle, Joubert, Lysacek, Lambiel all being held up over Daisuke. Maybe it's a whole conspiracy to kill the Japanese skating federation. Yes, I'm being sarcastic. Give me a break. I think Takahashi was marked a little on the low side, I don't think he wuz robbed.

cell

On the Ice
Actually, if the lutz had been counted, he would've been in 5th or so in the free skate?

Last edited:

Jasper

Final Flight
Sk8n Mama said:
:disagree: I really doubt they're going to mess with the technical components to hold up one skater. Without knowing about the uncounted lutz and the double knock for the quad, Scott Hamilton said before the marks came up, "there's Jeff Buttle nervously awaiting Takahashi's marks. He shouldn't be worried but you just never know." Obviously Scott didn't think the judges were just holding Buttle up. Takahashi put in a quad that he doesn't fully rotate-he took that chance. If the lutz had been counted, he still would have only finished behind Joubert-he wouldn't have even come close to Buttle. Maybe it's Buttle, Joubert, Lysacek, Lambiel all being held up over Daisuke. Maybe it's a whole conspiracy to kill the Japanese skating federation. Yes, I'm being sarcastic. Give me a break. I think Takahashi was marked a little on the low side, I don't think he wuz robbed.

I agree, his attempted quad was clearly under-rotated (the blade stopped him short and he fell right as it hit the ice; he couldn't even cheat the landing) and the rest of the reasoning behind his low technical scores makes sense. It's just a complicated system and it's hard to be aware enough to change your jumps mid-performance. Buttle had way higher PCS than Takahashi, anyway, and I think he deserved them on that night. Daisuke stumbled noticeably during his footwork and was rather sloppy overall.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
The triple lutz is worth 6 points. I'm not going to speculate as to whether that one would have deserved a positive GOE. It was okay, not spectacular. if you assume that he would have received 6 pts for it, his LP score would have been 137.12 (instead of 131.12). Matt Savoie's LP was 137.52. Daisuke would have finished 6th in the LP. Overall Daisuke would have had 210.89 which would have placed him behind Brian Joubert's 212.89.

So, to reason it was to hold up Buttle doesn't make sense. Even counting the 3 lutz his final score would have been 210.89 to Buttle's 227.59. Almost 17 points difference! That's not even remotely close.