Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Look for gold for Cohen and Belbin/Agosto!

Banned

Look for gold for Cohen and Belbin/Agosto!

After the blatant overscoring of Evan Lysacek in the mens competition I am not pretty sure Cohen will win the womens gold, and I also now believe Belbin
    /Agosto have a great chance at the dance gold. It is very apparent to me that NBC and the USFSA have something cooking, similar to the gymnastics at the 2004 Olympics that led to a questionable gold for Carly Patterson, and a farcial gold for Paul Hamm which is still being debated and even ridiculed to this day. Poor Inoue/Baldwin were left out to dry and were even undermarked for their stunning short program. U.S TV thrives on American success in judged sports in the Olympics after all, for the men it was a toss up who to determine to lobby for between Weir and Lysacek, and since Weir got the scores he deserved for both his programs, they obviously chose Lysacek. For the women and dance it is a clear call which American to lobby for. I hope that Cohen and Belbin/Agosto skate well enough to deserve their gold medals that they are going to win, barring major errors from both and stunning performances from their Russian rivals Slutskaya and Navka/Kostomarov, and if Cohen does a program with only minor errors Irina will definitely need one of her hardest triple/triples to win. Hopefully they perform like true Olympic Champions so there will be no controversy to their wins.

Down With It
    wow. I don't know what to say. I still am convinced it's the Russians' to lose. Irina will win ladies and N and K will win Dance. Belbin and Agosto might win silver or bronze, and Cohen might get a bronze, or a silver if she does well.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    After the blatant overscoring of Evan Lysacek in the mens competition I am not pretty sure Cohen will win the womens gold, and I also now believe Belbin
    /Agosto have a great chance at the dance gold. It is very apparent to me that NBC and the USFSA have something cooking, similar to the gymnastics at the 2004 Olympics that led to a questionable gold for Carly Patterson, and a farcial gold for Paul Hamm which is still being debated and even ridiculed to this day. Poor Inoue/Baldwin were left out to dry and were even undermarked for their stunning short program. U.S TV thrives on American success in judged sports in the Olympics after all, for the men it was a toss up who to determine to lobby for between Weir and Lysacek, and since Weir got the scores he deserved for both his programs, they obviously chose Lysacek. For the women and dance it is a clear call which American to lobby for. I hope that Cohen and Belbin/Agosto skate well enough to deserve their gold medals that they are going to win, barring major errors from both and stunning performances from their Russian rivals Slutskaya and Navka/Kostomarov, and if Cohen does a program with only minor errors Irina will definitely need one of her hardest triple/triples to win. Hopefully they perform like true Olympic Champions so there will be no controversy to their wins.

You know, I'm convinced you go on these rants just for me... Too funny!!!

I'd be so surprised if Irina didn't win... for so many different reasons... Don't lose the faith just yet... But if your predicition comes true, there is a good chance that I'll be done with the competitive side of figure skating... Not because I've turned anti-American skaters, but because I simply cannot fathom a world in which Irina didn't win this gold and B&A beat Navka...

I do agree a controversy is looming however, but I think its going to be a $$$ controversy surrounding the NJS vs. the skaters...

Custom Title
    /Agosto have a great chance at the dance gold.
    Did Irina have a bad practice today or something?

Custom Title
    Unless Irina pulls "an Evan" in the SP *and* "a Johnny" in the LP (two bad programs), she will win the Ladies gold medal -- plain & simple.

Navka/Kostomarov may very well be defeated by either B&A (the more likely upsetters) or maybe by D&V. The weirdest (but possible?) scenario would be an out-of-left-field defeat by the 'great unknowns' of this season -- Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, world champs in 2001. Remember: they are the only world champs in the dance competition beside the current champs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeKatie
    Did Irina have a bad practice today or something?
    I have heard she is having good practices, it does not matter when NBC and the USFSA have pulled their strings. However Russia is pretty good at that as well, so it might even out in the end. We will have to see. Russia is not a country like Japan, Switzerland, Canada, who had their skaters unfairly treated by the judges compared to the dealmaking bolstered Americans, that has no political power, no sway, no financial power to fight back, they likely will and it might even out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    The weirdest (but possible?) scenario would be an out-of-left-field defeat by the 'great unknowns' of this season -- Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, world champs in 2001. Remember: they are the only world champs in the dance competition beside the current champs.
    Unless they look stunning to what everybody has heard about them, that would be some real dealmaking though.

Custom Title
    Oh boy, this is looking good for Joannie. There is a chance that things may turn out for Joannie and they did for Jeff. She may be the one to medal. Wouldn't that be great. You never know how the judges are going to judge this competition.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    Unless Irina pulls "an Evan" in the SP *and* "a Johnny" in the LP (two bad programs), she will win the Ladies gold medal -- plain & simple.
    Exactly, Frau!

But thanks anyway, Slutskayafan21, for the good laugh ... I needed that today!!!

Custom Title
    I have heard she is having good practices, it does not matter when NBC and the USFSA have pulled their strings. However Russia is pretty good at that as well, so it might even out in the end. We will have to see. Russia is not a country like Japan, Switzerland, Canada, who had their skaters unfairly treated by the judges compared to the dealmaking bolstered Americans, that has no political power, no sway, no financial power to fight back, they likely will and it might even out.

thanks for the comedy relief!!

:sheesh: EVAN was overscored... how about: try Evgeny... :sheesh:

and the sour grapes keep coming 'round

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    :sheesh: EVAN was overscored... how about: try Evgeny... :sheesh:
    Toni, don't tell me you didn't appreciate the ALL TIME GREAT MEN'S PERFORMANCE IN THE HISTORY OF FIGURE SKATING, according to the NJS.

Let's see...Stroke, stroke, stroke, jump
    Stroke, stroke, stroke, jump
    Stoke, stroke, stroke, jump
    Stroke, stroke, strok, jump
    Stroke, stroke, stroke, jump (is that 8 jumping passes yet? Ok...)

Wave your arms, wave your arms, wave your arms (as Dick Button said, bamboozle the audience into thinking you are doing something, when you are really just resting)

then end with a half-hearted spin and a little sheepish smile.

PCSs through the roof for Transitions (what transitions?), choreography (what choreography?), Interpretation (what interpretation?)

On topic, though, I don't think any of this will help Belbin and Agosto (maybe bronze?). NBC TV might be NBC TV, but ice dance is ice dance.

However, they might sacrifice Irina if it comes down to the last go-round and the U.S. has not won anything at all. Look for Sasha to be held up in the SP anyway. Who will watch TV on Saturday if the game is over on Thursday?

MM

EVAN was overscored... how about: try Evgeny...
    ITA with you Toni.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Toni, don't tell me you didn't appreciate the ALL TIME GREAT MEN'S PERFORMANCE IN THE HISTORY OF FIGURE SKATING, according to the NJS.
    you are so weird lol

considering a lot of guys in the past have gotten away with a subpar performance to win I guess I can't complain too much...

but to say Evan didn't deserve his marks is disgusting... try Joubert who with two flawed programs beat Matt Savoie... or Evgeni just being so far ahead of everyone before you beat up on Evan

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Wave your arms, wave your arms, wave your arms (as Dick Button said, bamboozle the audience into thinking you are doing something, when you are really just resting)

then end with a half-hearted spin and a little sheepish smile.

PCSs through the roof for Transitions (what transitions?), choreography (what choreography?), Interpretation (what interpretation?)

On topic, though, I don't think any of this will help Belbin and Agosto (maybe bronze?). NBC TV might be NBC TV, but ice dance is ice dance.

However, they might sacrifice Irina if it comes down to the last go-round and the U.S. has not won anything at all. Look for Sasha to be held up in the SP anyway. Who will watch TV on Saturday if the game is over on Thursday?

MM
    MM, I will definately be watching TV... I hate what is happening to this sport. I love Plushy but that was a joke.

I'd be very surprised if Sasha was held up too high, though, the USFSA doesn't go all out for her like it has for Kwan, nor does she appear to factor into their long term planning (they have a "face" with Kwan & new, young star who'd stick around in Kimmie)... Add that to Russsia's formitable powers at politicing and you have Irina, '06 OGM. Now, what may cause some fun drama is the possiblity of Emily going all out during the short program & landing within podium range... then we'll see some fireworks ~ that story line is just too good. Add to that a Ladies contingenant with lots of headcases & yes my friends its looking good for Irina...

However, like I've said earlier, its good that the winners are the favorites therefore people don't look to hard at the "how" of winning... and those that do are accused of "sour grapes."

(somebody please explain to me how complaining about how the new system is applied = sour grapes... please?!?)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast